PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry 8700c in pocket

matthew_i
10-24-2006, 02:10 PM
I just bought a BlackBerry 8700c on ebay and I am satisfied with it's performance. The holster seems to be defective (or the 8700c) because when fully inserted the unit does not enter sleep mode. If I stick it in there kinda funny it does sleep properly, but it won't stay in the holster like that.

Either way, I don't like the look of holsters (or those bluetooth ear-peices). They remind me of those "hip" thirty to forty something, "im young cause I got this bluetooth..." guys. Enough about that, I was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to make the berry sleep when you put it in your pocket. This link provides a method, but I couldn't get any of "sheet" magnets in the store to put my device to sleep (they were not powerful enough).

pcpro.co.uk/realworld/92678/speedings-fine/page4.html

I also tried putting various size and strength magnets in the pocket with the blackberry and none them can consistantly make it sleep.

I could get one of those sleeves for it but I was wondering if anyone else had some clever magnet pocket sleeper methods.

Note: My account is too new to make the link a url...

delmarco
10-24-2006, 03:18 PM
make sure you are not putting it in the OEM case backwards.

matthew_i
10-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Nope. It's right, screen in. I don't like the holster anyway :). I really only want it to sleep so I can have different alerts when it is in my pocket, and also so I can hang it up by pocketing it.

mike_187
10-24-2006, 07:39 PM
put magnets in your pants.

Phone Guy
10-24-2006, 08:14 PM
put magnets in your pants.

Now that's funny.

mike_187
10-24-2006, 11:56 PM
sorry im not trying to be an ass, but bb can only be put to sleep by magnet.

matthew_i
10-25-2006, 12:22 AM
Yeah, I tried magnets in the pocket, that didn't work reliably. Also did you check out the link I posted? You may have to add www to it. If I could find a fridge magnet strong enough that would probably work. Just wondering if anyone else has solved this problem before.

mike_187
10-25-2006, 12:28 AM
hmm yah thats interesting, i guess its just about getting a magnet that is strong enough, and that wont scratch the device. have you tried any credit card size fridge magnets?

matthew_i
10-25-2006, 12:32 AM
I held about 6 different ones up to the BB in the store and nothing happend. Another concern I have about carrying a magnet in my pocket is with it erasing credit cards in my wallet and such. As long as it is not all that powerful it should not matter much.

mike818
10-25-2006, 12:54 AM
I held about 6 different ones up to the BB in the store and nothing happend. Another concern I have about carrying a magnet in my pocket is with it erasing credit cards in my wallet and such. As long as it is not all that powerful it should not matter much.

Just tested it with some fridge magnets (thin ones) and no luck. It seems as though only the real (thicker) magnets work. It would be interesting if someone designed a sleeve with a magnet inside for pocket use.

I have the side convenience button set up as an easy way to lock the phone when pushed since I keep mine in my pocket as well.

If you find a solution, please share.

Signed,
A 30 something that uses bluetooth.. but no holster. 8-)

takeshi
10-25-2006, 09:02 AM
There's really no good way to put it to sleep without the holster. Your best bet is to enable device security with a password and hit K to lock the device before pocketing it. It will still light up if a key or the trackwheel is bumped but at least that's it.

Definitely don't put the 8700c in a pocket with anything else.

dc101
10-25-2006, 09:38 AM
For what its worth my 8700c from cingular online came with the wrong holster. had the same problem. they sent me a new unit and sure enough it had the correct holster and it works fine.

Tri-Tip
10-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Check the holster, sometimes the magnets can fall out.

On the Blackberry Website under accessories, they make a leather pouch that you can slide it into that doesn't have a clip and you can slide that into your pocket. It'll make it a bit bulkier, and I think it's made for a purse.

If you had an artificial hip, you could have that magnetized, and it would probably do the trick.

mightyeric
10-25-2006, 10:39 AM
I carry my 8700c in my pocket all the time - I just don't care for holsters. I set the center convenience key to lock the device so it's quick and easy and I drop it in the pocket.

At first I was worried about scratching it up so I made sure it was the only thing in my pocket. Then I started putting in with the screen up keyboard down - if pocket change scratches kb it doesn't matter. Then I just gave up and stuff it in any old way.

My case has far more dents and dings from me dropping the thing in the parking lot than scratches from pocket junk. I don't intentionally treat it rough, but hey, stuff happens. It turns out that this is a pretty hearty fellow and takes a beating well. I have not seen battery life problems because of the backlight occasionally turning on in pocket.

My advice: lock the kb and pocket the thing. it'll survive. it's a trooper.

Good Luck ! 8-)

matthew_i
10-25-2006, 11:36 AM
I carry my 8700c in my pocket all the time - I just don't care for holsters. I set the center convenience key to lock the device so it's quick and easy and I drop it in the pocket.

[....]

My advice: lock the kb and pocket the thing. it'll survive. it's a trooper.

That's how I do it now, but I miss being about to just close my flip phone to hangup a call. It would be awesome if I could just drop the berry in my pocket to hang up a call.

@<hidden>
Can the 8700 use the K key for that. Looks like it is defaulting to speed dial. Right now I am using the center convience key.

@<hidden>
LOL. "This just in, a BlackBerry user sawed off his own leg in order to have it replaced with a magnetic prosthetic device. When asked why he did it, he said 'Look! Now my BlackBerry automatically goes to sleep when I pocket it!'"

Tennvol
10-25-2006, 11:50 AM
why not take the clip off the OEM holster and put it in your pocket like that? Ever since I cracked the screen on my cellphone by putting it in my pocket (just the phone was in my pocket, nothing else) I now always use a case of some sort.

Using the OEM case will protect it and also sleep the device.

Nickster248
10-25-2006, 11:52 AM
I tend to agree with the others, and that is if you are intent on pocketing your device, then you really should use the thinnest pouch you can buy, otherwise you risk scratching the heck out of your BB.

HofstraJet
10-25-2006, 11:57 AM
I keep mine in my pocket - ShieldZone keeps the BB from scratches. Works like a charm. Side convenience key locks it (I have a password) and into the pocket it goes.

Aldazar
10-25-2006, 01:17 PM
I did this too, works like a charm! The clip on the OEM holster snaps off pretty easily (without damage) and can be reattached if you so desire. This solution makes the phone slightly bulkier to carry around, but only a little bit (less than pretty much any other case). It protects the screen, locks all the buttons and the wheel, and activates the holster profile. The only problem is that you can't just drop the phone into your pocket, you have to slide it into the holster too.

why not take the clip off the OEM holster and put it in your pocket like that? Ever since I cracked the screen on my cellphone by putting it in my pocket (just the phone was in my pocket, nothing else) I now always use a case of some sort.

Using the OEM case will protect it and also sleep the device.