PDA

View Full Version : BWC vs Redirector

Teejay3726
03-22-2005, 11:29 PM
ok, so I am sure this has been answered before, but I searched and I swear I can't find it...

what are the pros and cons of using the redirector vs using BWC? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I have a 7100t on t-mobile.

TJ

Tobey Cook
03-23-2005, 12:35 AM
Redirector is only if you're on an Exchange Server, but don't have a Blackberry Enterprise Server or Outlook Web Access.

Blackberry Web Client is for POP3 and Outlook Web Access.

Teejay3726
03-23-2005, 09:18 AM
right, but what are the pros and cons of using one over the other...

bfrye
03-23-2005, 09:21 AM
Well you can't exactly use BWC for a corporate exchange server...

mrogers
03-23-2005, 11:26 AM
Well I have an Exchange account but my university won't let me on their BES, so I use redirector. The advantage of redirector is that its response time is more or less instant (some lag, but never more than 30 seconds), but BWC will only check your accounts every 15 minutes (I know that's true for POP accounts, but I didn't know about setting it up with OWA). The disadvantage of redirector is that it has to be on a computer that is always on. I run it on a machine at work that is used as our VPN server and we never shut down--plus the internet connection is better at work than at my home.

jacobsaa
03-23-2005, 02:03 PM
The redirector is good if you want to recieve instant messages. Your blackberry.net email will goto the handheld immediately. If your emails are time sensative, thats the way to go. Also, you can have it set up so you can respond to those emails without anyone knowing your blackberry.net email.

Teejay3726
03-23-2005, 03:34 PM
What if I want to reply with multiple addresses? I've been doing it with BWC and with PocketDay, but does it work better with the redirector? or is the only real advantage speed?

TJ

jacobsaa
03-23-2005, 06:02 PM
The only way to get emails in seconds is to forward your email accounts to your blackberry.net account. They will arrive as fast as text messages. Otherwise I believe it's a 15 minute delay to recieve messages. Just make your sent from address one of your email addresses so nobody knows your blackberry.net address. You do not need to put a reply to address, they will automatically respond to your sent from address which will be forwarding to your blackberry.net address, which will make all emails arrive in time sensative fashion.

Example

user@<hidden> ----forwarding----> user@<hidden>

Sent From (user@<hidden>) -------> to recipient.

Recipient responds to sent from address

recipient -------->user@<hidden>>user@<hidden>

It arrives in seconds.

WNO
03-23-2005, 06:09 PM
Encryption is (I think) another advantage; my impression is that the redirector does a better job of protecting messages than BWS.

On the subject of multiple addresses, that's the major advantage, IMHO, to using the redirector. My work e-mail goes through the redirector and when I send/reply through that account, it's as if the e-mail originated from my office desk. (That reminds me of another advantage: easier integration with the sent mail folder). When I send/reply to personal mail, I use the BWC, which makes the mail appear to come from my personal e-mail address. So I basically get to have two "sent from" addresses, which suits me better than mulitiple "reply to" addresses. I would assume that you can still do the "muliple reply to" trick through the BWS, using your personal e-mail as the official "sent from" address, but I'm not sure it would work through the redirector. Of course, if you're using the same address with the redirector and BWS, I guess it wouldn't matter.

I guess my point is this: There's no need to choose one method over the other. Use both!

jacobsaa
03-23-2005, 06:12 PM
If you cant do multiple "reply to" or "sent from" addresses, you can always add your information and different emails to your signature. I just think, as Mark Rejhon pointed out previously, that giving out the blackberry.net address is a bad idea. There is no way (that I know of) to detach that from your phone. Once the spammers get it, it's over.

rimmer
03-26-2005, 09:25 PM
another major difference is you cannot receive attachments via redirector.