PDA

View Full Version : Pocketmac Sync Problems

gypsyfingers
10-28-2006, 02:45 PM
Hi all,

After some initial problems, I managed to get my BB to synch with my address book via PocketMac, and it all seemed fine at first, but since then I've noticed that half of my contacts are missing one field or another: e-mail address, phone, cell phone, etc. Many of my contacts (which are complete in my Mac's address book) are actually empty on my Pearl.

I just did another synch and it didn't change any of this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your kind help and advice.

-Ben

bflint
10-29-2006, 07:43 AM
what kind of mac intel or ppc. what settings do you have checked in pm 4.0?

Quake97
10-29-2006, 09:25 AM
According to PocketMac's website, Pearl support is "coming soon."

Joe

everythingsablur
10-29-2006, 11:44 AM
According to PocketMac's website, Pearl support is "coming soon."
Pearl support is already available in the latest version of PocketMac which is available through RIM. Some features are still not available like picture syncing of contacts.

I've gotten AddressBook syncing pretty well too, but I agree that some fields are noticably not being transfered over. Through some trial and error, it feels very much like the old Palm HotSync to Outlook in that there must be a Field Translation table and/or priority.

I can only reliably get three email addresses to come over, and for that I typically need to tag one as "work", one as "home", and one as "other". For phone numbers it is similar. Using "work", "home", "other", "main", various fax ones seems to work. What is very inconsistent is if I use multiple of the same tag. Two home numbers and I have no idea which one will come over, and if I set a "Home 2" on my BB, it doesn't sync over into Address Book.

If anyone from PocketMac is reading here, can we get a list of the field translations so that I can line up my contacts so that more/all of the information syncs over?

gypsyfingers
10-29-2006, 12:19 PM
Yeah, that sounds like my problem, more or less. Some fields have come over fine, some not at all. And the irritating thing is, with 400+ contacts in there, I don't know which ones are missing something until I need it.

As for a workaround, I don't know whether having to go back and line up all our old contacts into one field or another is faster than just doing it one-at-a-time as we run into holes, but I suppose it can't hurt.

Anyway, thanks for your time...

If anyone has any other suggestions for a fix, I'd be grateful.

(Oh, and to answer your question, it's an iBook G4--pre-Intel of course--but will be upgrading to a MacBook next week.)

bflint
10-29-2006, 12:27 PM
I have the intel mac and all of my contacts over 250 of them came over just fine with multiple numbers and email addresses even ical came over from the mac I had to fiddle with the settings in pm to get it all to work but no install of software is supported yet.

sammyla
10-30-2006, 10:57 AM
Mine WAS working perfectly, but then I wrote a bunch of Notes in Entourage -- and now PocketMac sync just hangs and hangs and hangs when it gets to its "Synchronizing Notes" phase.

It's odd -- it still syncs most everything just fine. Only the Notes are affected.

Please note: I only use Entourage for Notes. For everything else I use iCal and Address Book.

Help!

JDL70
10-31-2006, 12:36 PM
I sync notes with entourage as well, and have no problem syncing notes (or address book or iCal). My only problem is not being able to load programs.

sammyla
10-31-2006, 08:33 PM
I daresay it's gotten even weirder.

It's still doing the hanging thing -- never finishes the sync -- but all of the information (including Notes) does indeed transfer perfectly.

Still, I do love it so...

jeffmcclan
10-31-2006, 09:34 PM
I have the intel mac and all of my contacts over 250 of them came over just fine with multiple numbers and email addresses even ical came over from the mac I had to fiddle with the settings in pm to get it all to work but no install of software is supported yet.

I initially thought contacts had synch'd correctly on my Intel Mac; however, I keep finding missing or mis-mapped fileds in my 400+ contacts as the information is needed on the device. PM 4.0 with my 8100 does not seem to be as well tested or reliable as the previous PM version with my 7100t.

orlina
10-31-2006, 10:39 PM
I experienced a glitch with my BlackBerry today and suspect that it's related to the PocketMac 4.0 sync process. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar.

Before I was able to sync my 8700g with my PowerBook, I built up two separate address books. The one on the 8700 only contains contacts that are currently 'active.' The address book on my Mac (in Apple's built-in app) contains a bunch of old contacts that I don't want on my BlackBerry but that I also don't want to erase. So when I started to sync with PocketMac 4, I configured it to sync only calendar items with iCal and to do nothing with contacts.

However, after syncing I noticed some strange behavior. I could no longer do any contact searches on the 8700. Contacts did not come up when addressing email messages, nor did phone numbers come up with trying to do a live contact search while dialing. When I opened the address book on the BlackBerry and typed any key, all the contacts on the list disappeared, only to be replaced with the notice that no matching entries were found.

All the contacts with all their information were still on the device, but it was as if the BlackBerry had forgotten they were there. The way I fixed this was to open each contact in edit mode and save it (without changes). After doing that separately for each contact, things are back to normal.

Does it make sense that PocketMac would alter the contact database even if it's not being synced? Should I be worried about syncing again (because I am...)?

bbschmuck
11-24-2006, 11:21 PM
As far as I know, I have the latest version of pocketmac, but I can't get my mac to sync with my pearl. Any suggestions?

Colione
11-28-2006, 05:22 AM
I am having trouble too. My first sync on my new 8700g everything went fine. But as I updated my contacts, I have noticed that they do not update on my BB....very annoying!

I tried deleting all of my contacts on my BB and then resyncing again....but no improvements!

Dwolf27
11-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Has anyone else run into this......

I am trying to use PocketMac to sync my Calendar between MeetingMaker and my Blackberry. When I do this my MeetingMaker server hangs and kicks all our users offline. The only recovery I have found is to restart the MM server and NOT sync my calendar. I know of plenty of ways around this (MM2iCal) but would rather not......

Any MM users out there?? and if so any run into this problem?

P.S. I am using a macPro so its Intel that has the problem as PM works fine on my G3 iBook

jeffmcclan
11-28-2006, 01:55 PM
Now PocketMac won't even sync. I am getting an error that local records cannot be merged after synching. A fresh install of PM does not seem to help.

My Pocketmac experience has gone from poor to not functional (8100 with Intel Mac). I am unable to synch to Contacts and Calendar with default install selections. It appears that PM / RIM introduced v4.0 with insufficient testing at best.

amlis_vess
11-29-2006, 11:48 AM
PocketMac recently started flaking on me and my 8100. It worked well at first but then there started to be errors in the contact information. Then certain people would be in the phone but not in the Address book. Then the iCal sync when kaput.

Now, nada.

zeros360
11-30-2006, 11:28 PM
Ever since i switched to the new pocketmac 4.0 I have ahd similar expereiences. Just as indicated in a previous posts, data is startign to get jumbled or simply goes missing. Anyone else having similar expereinces with pocketmac 4.0? and does anyone know where to get the previous version that was doen by the pocketmac people (solo)?

Eratica
12-01-2006, 05:09 AM
I experienced a glitch with my BlackBerry today and suspect that it's related to the PocketMac 4.0 sync process. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar.

Before I was able to sync my 8700g with my PowerBook, I built up two separate address books. The one on the 8700 only contains contacts that are currently 'active.' The address book on my Mac (in Apple's built-in app) contains a bunch of old contacts that I don't want on my BlackBerry but that I also don't want to erase. So when I started to sync with PocketMac 4, I configured it to sync only calendar items with iCal and to do nothing with contacts.

However, after syncing I noticed some strange behavior. I could no longer do any contact searches on the 8700. Contacts did not come up when addressing email messages, nor did phone numbers come up with trying to do a live contact search while dialing. When I opened the address book on the BlackBerry and typed any key, all the contacts on the list disappeared, only to be replaced with the notice that no matching entries were found.

All the contacts with all their information were still on the device, but it was as if the BlackBerry had forgotten they were there. The way I fixed this was to open each contact in edit mode and save it (without changes). After doing that separately for each contact, things are back to normal.

Does it make sense that PocketMac would alter the contact database even if it's not being synced? Should I be worried about syncing again (because I am...)?

Eratica
12-01-2006, 05:21 AM
I'm using a pre-intel G5 iMac, now with Pocket Mac 4.0 and my new Pearl. After a couple of attempts, I made a successful sync. I've probably made 5 or 6 since then, after a coupole of attempts. Subsequently it seemed to become reluctant and now I can't even get it to connect, despite uninstalling and reinstalling PM 4.0. It charges OK, despite the Blackberry telling me there isn't enough charge from my powered USB. I've tried talking to support@<hidden>, furnished them with all the information they've requested, but they've suddenly stopped responding. Essentially Blackberry 8100 doesn't sync with Macs. And it appears nobody wants to know. CAn anyone help?

Saker
12-02-2006, 02:16 PM
I have tried to sync multiple Macbook Pros and Intel Mac mini. With 2 different 8100 Perls fron TMobil. My Girlfriends and mine!. Still does not sync .. it detects the perl
goes through the syncing and just hangs at the end. I see my icons bounce when it gets to the address book and calendars.. I have tried just my address book and Just my cal. I have tried. ICAL. The default address book that comes with OSX. I have tried Entrourage. Still it just hangs. what I did notice is that sometimes it will copy 1-3 address off my perl that entered manualy on the phone to the mac address book. I have fuddled with pretty much every setting.

The only thing I have not tested is on a NON intel based mac. I will have to try that at work.

Any thoughts???
Suggestions?

My old Blacberry from cingular 7130c synced just fine with my intel macbook pro. No problems!

Thanks all

-Saker

ckeck
12-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Mine WAS working perfectly, but then I wrote a bunch of Notes in Entourage -- and now PocketMac sync just hangs and hangs and hangs when it gets to its "Synchronizing Notes" phase.

It's odd -- it still syncs most everything just fine. Only the Notes are affected.

Please note: I only use Entourage for Notes. For everything else I use iCal and Address Book.

Help!

I am having a similar problem...PocketMac 4.0 was syncing perfectly with my 8700c for several weeks, and as of 2-3 days ago its now hanging when Syncing contacts and sometimes the Calendar. It never finishes anymore and I cannot figure out why. I didn't make any changes either....any ideas?:cry:

porschegal
12-06-2006, 06:18 PM
I cannot understand why BB did not originate software for Mac. Until my contacts can be successfully in sync with my 8700 I carry my Treo only for my contacts.
From what I understand, both PocketMac and BB have random problems recognizing the format of each other. I've tried using 'Address Book', the Palm Desktop software, ICal and also Entourage; nothing works. Unfortunately, I am in the process of individually editing each of my 400+ entries on my Mac. After editing 50 entries I did a sync for the current status. Ninety percent of the entries were corrected BUT some still had missing phone numbers or addresses; so I repeat the process but on the BB. Now I'm scared to do another sync in fear of more altered info.
TMobile claims I should contact PocketMac and PocketMac doesn’t answer emails.
Waiting anxiously for someone's solution
:oops:

futter1
12-06-2006, 08:53 PM
I have also had issues with pocketmac and the entire syncing process. Initially it was hung while trying to sync with address book. I found that groups were the issue. I read somewhere that u should not select which groups to sync, just sync all. that seemed to work.

Now the issue is with the task/to do sync. I get wild and crazy changes; stripping due dates after the sync, items reappearing after they were deleted, etc. Have emailed Rim and the Author of the software repeatedly. The software is just not supported at all. INCREDIBLE.

So, have determined that I need to overwrite tasks from the mac, and only make changes to tasks on the mac. Other than that, contacts and calendars do sync.

I have also had the pscd problem. After a reboot, it seems to work ok, on subsequent syncs, it comes back up. There doesn't appear to be an answer. Rim is a huge company. why can't they support their product?

davidck
12-07-2006, 09:36 PM
how do you put apps in the BB through pocket mac?

edlazarus
12-11-2006, 10:45 PM
I have been through 2 T-Mobile Pearls, spent an hour on the phone with T-Mobile and a total of at least 4 hours on the phone with RIM. Bottom line is that PocketMac simply doesn't work (not just for Pearl, but now it consistently fails with other devices as well).

RIM is aware of the problem and has a new release of PocketMac in beta that came out today (December 11). After my hours on the phone with them, they asked me to be part of the test group. Guess what? The new release doesn't work either.

Since I couldn't sync my Pearl, I returned it (for the second time) to T-Mobile, but now PocketMac doesn't sync with my 7105t either. In other words, the new version of PocketMac has made it impossible to use a Blackberry with a Mac. If you haven't upgraded to the new PocketMac -- DON'T. If you do, you will have to either wait an unknown period of time for RIM and PocketMac to work through this or (as I am about to do) abandon the otherwise reliable Blackberry (and the very appealing Pearl) in favor of the buggy, unstable Palm Treo. Ugh!

I'm afraid I'm not willing to wait for them to work this out. They released an upgrade the whole purpose of which was to work with the Pearl. It doesn't. Now they have a beta version which was designed to correct the problems in the original release. It doesn't. So if they tell me they are working on it and will fix it soon, why should I believe them? I won't.

jeffmcclan
12-12-2006, 07:32 AM
Agreed.

Everyone should accept the fact that the 8100 does not have Synch with the Mac.

This is unfortunate as the Pearl is a great device. If I new that there wasn't Synch, I would not have converted from the 7100 that Synch'd great with AddressBook and Contacts using PM3.6. However, now we get to sit and wait to see if PocketMac / RIM can get there act together and release a Mac Sync product that (1) works and (2) has been tested.

I post this for others who are considering the Pearl. Just be prepared to live without any Sync - otherwise you face alot of frustration, duplicate contacts, missing information, etc.

futter1
12-12-2006, 10:00 AM
well, i agree that there are issues as stated above. But i do have to say that my syncing with contacts and calendar does seem to work. Tasks has issues, so I only change tasks on my mac, then have the sync set to overwrite tasks on the pearl each time. Not the best, but it is workable.

The contact groups were the issue initially. once i said to sync all categories, it seemed to work. But, overall, this software is hit or miss, and Rim is simply not supporting it. I even emailed the ceo of Rim, and didn't receive anything back. They just don't care!

Jim

busterkat
12-17-2006, 07:24 PM
you know it all probably has much to do with market share, cost-benefit and other corporate speak justification method......

How much time and effort will be alloted for OSX when >90% of the users out there are on XP? You can bet they have a huge "entourage" of codemonkeys working on a version for Vista that will work right out of the box. How many BES shops have users with iMac workstations?

So RIM probably outsourced the development for Mac/BB synching to these Information Appliance (PocketMac) guys thinking that their experience would take care of the problem cheaply.

But guess what...PocketMac Pro (for Pocket PC/Mac) was a piece of crap when I had to use it with my MDAII/XDA. It gave me most of the same problems I have now with the BB!!!!

The project manager for this at RIM should be shot.

jeffmcclan
12-24-2006, 10:06 PM
Agreed.

Everyone should accept the fact that the 8100 does not have Synch with the Mac.

This is unfortunate as the Pearl is a great device. If I new that there wasn't Synch, I would not have converted from the 7100 that Synch'd great with AddressBook and Contacts using PM3.6.

Ditto. My wife and I converted from 7100's to 8100's thinking that we would have sync. RIM would sell fewer 8100 to Mac users if they knew the truth that PocketMac 4.0 does not work and worst yet is not supported by its developer (PocketMac) or RIM - noone returns user's messages or error reports.

norcalroots
12-26-2006, 05:57 PM
I downloaded the most current version of PocketMac and am running a PowerBook G4. The initial sync with the 8100 (Pearl) went ok but I've since been unable to sync. In the meantime I've been able to sync with my PC at work but no luck at all on the Mac. Any suggestions? Relp Shaggy!

jeffmcclan
12-27-2006, 08:44 AM
I gave up on Syncing a 8100 with the MBPro using PM 4.0. The software does not appear to work and corrupted alot of data in the few cases where it sync'd (duplicate contacts for all those with ampersigns, missing or mismapped phone numbers to different fields, duplicate calendar entries, missing calendar entries). Do yourself a favor and backup everything before choosing to be an Alpha tester for this software.

PM 4.0 appears to be buggy and inadequately tested prior to release.

Activator
12-30-2006, 10:19 AM
I've posted this in a few "PocketMac Doesn't Work" threads...

Using a POWERED USB HUB really helps! Really. Honest.

I have FLAWLESS syncing of my Address Book and iCal EVERY time. I didn't UNTIL I plugged the Pearl into a powered USB hub.

Try it!

futter1
12-30-2006, 12:33 PM
does the powered hub get rid of the PSCD problem?

jim

busterkat
12-30-2006, 01:49 PM
I sent the following email to PC Mag today.

"PocketMac For BlackBerry
REVIEW DATE: 11.08.04
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1721110,00.asp

Mr. Ulanoff,

Please re-review PocketMac for Blackberry.

I am asking because this program, which is the only one available, has consistently failed to live up to requirements and even its own listed features. It is not supported by the publisher and RIM does not answer support requests.

Especially important since the recent release of the Blackberry 8100 Pearl, PocketMac's availability has enticed many users to buy the phone with very disappointing and frustrating results.

Thank You.

cc: blackberryforums.com via forum post
pinstack.com via forum post
help@<hidden>"

joirhone
01-05-2007, 12:23 AM
All of a sudden I started getting the app error 523. The phone becamse totally useless. It happened right after I did a sync with Pocket mac. Pocketmac has worked fine before. Tmobile sent a replacement phone. I went to sync and guess what -- after the sync I got an app error 523 screen. I wiped the OS, reinstalled the OS. I downloaded a fresh copy of Pocketmac and guess what -- you got it, app error 523. I am totally frustrated!!!! I use Daylite and without being able to sync, my Pearl will become a pretty brick :(

norcalroots
01-05-2007, 10:40 AM
I tried using a powered USB and it resulted in the same thing I get when I use the rear USB input on the PowerBook G4. Although the phone does connect with the computer in both cases and looks as though it synchs properly, no contact edits are transferred from phone to Mac or vice versa. Your powered USB fix didn't work for me. Who knows, it could just be that I'm using Mac Address book and you're using Entourage. Either way, I'm still not able to synch my phone with my Powerbook.

macman
01-16-2007, 03:00 PM
I to have had no luck with Meeting maker since I switched to the 8703e and my Intel Macbook Pro. It did work with my 7250 and my Macbook pro... go figure. I have tried everything.... no luck.

jeffmcclan
01-16-2007, 09:03 PM
I have lived without sync with my BB8100 for long enough (RIM distributes PM4.0 which does not work and is not supported). RIM better hope that Mark/Space's announcement of a Q1'07 sync solution works well. Otherwise, I will likely vote with my feet in June and purchase an iPhone. The BB8100 is not a good enough device to live without Mac synch capability.

I post this so that I might save potential BB8100 Mac purchasers from the frustration and wasted time that I have endured with PM4.0. Others have said it best "PM4.0 simply does not work."