PDA

View Full Version : New to BlackBerry... how to start!? Thanks.

rets
10-31-2006, 04:08 PM
Guys,

My company, in New York city, would like to start this BB stuff. We're planing to use BES and integrated with our Exchange server. However, I'm not sure which carriers we should choose. I'd really apprecaite if you guys could provide any advices.

Cingular/8700c
Verizon/8703e
Sprint/8703e

We may start with 10~20 BBs...

Stinsonddog
10-31-2006, 04:20 PM
Don't know about Sprint, but international travel matters Cingular is better than VZ. I debate which has the better network but if home in NY I would check that out. There are posts here you can search for. Also VZ allows for fast modem use on their EVDO network. On the BB itself there is not, IMO, noticeable difference between VZ and Cing internet access, but if tethering alot VZ is better. When you get the BB's go to my tips site and the FAQs here for more.

rets
10-31-2006, 04:53 PM
Thanks, Stinsonddog. I'll continue to search the posts...

StarmanDX
10-31-2006, 08:08 PM
In NYC your local coverage is going to be great no matter who you pick. If you have people that go international at all, you're pretty much going to be stuck with Cingular or T-Mobile.

Sprint has a very reliable and fast high-speed network that your BB employees can use to tether and then get to your corporate network from their PCs while travelling, if that's a feature. VZ has the same thing. Cingular's data is very slow when tethered to a PC.

rets
10-31-2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks, StarmanDX. I do believe NYC does have the pretty good coverage in most of areas, however, it may be safer to buy BBs from the multiple carriers, then provide them to the users based on their needs/areas, who may live outsides the city.

To use BB as the portable of accessing email is the main goal. We may consider to connect more features/applications into BB in the future.

We try to find a reliable model/device which staff members could simply operate and untilize. As Stinsonddog said, the BB devices may not have the big difference...

Dubdub
10-31-2006, 09:47 PM
I have both Cingular and Verizon and find both work very well in the NY/NJ area. Both carriers have a much wider coverage area than T-Mobile and Sprint.

As someone else suggested, you should look at where the devices will be used, i.e. where you live, work, play, travel, etc. If you travel internationally, then it should be either Cingular or T-Mobile. If you are only in the US, then my choice would be either Verizon or Cingular, due to better coverage then the other 2 national carriers.

rets
11-01-2006, 04:21 PM
Terrific. Thanks Dubdub. After reviewing some posts, it seems that Cingular/Verizon, the #1/2 carriers, have more positive feedback... still checking.

meanie321
11-01-2006, 05:52 PM
Terrific. Thanks Dubdub. After reviewing some posts, it seems that Cingular/Verizon, the #1/2 carriers, have more positive feedback... still checking.

not sure if it's specific to location, but i'm in Boston and Cingular's data is down or experiencing problems quite often..when I do call them up..they tell me that it's a severity 3 problem...data is not as important as voice and they usually do not have ETA for resolution...very annoying!

Dubdub
11-01-2006, 07:05 PM
not sure if it's specific to location, but i'm in Boston and Cingular's data is down or experiencing problems quite often..when I do call them up..they tell me that it's a severity 3 problem...data is not as important as voice and they usually do not have ETA for resolution...very annoying!

I haven't had any problems in Beantown lately. When were you having problems?

FroogleThis
11-01-2006, 07:44 PM
I know that for any international travel, Cingular is your best bet. In terms of NYC, like it's been said, VZ & Cingular would be your best bet. I was in Manhattan with Sprint, though, and there service wasn't as good as the companies VZ blackberry I had with me at the time...That may have been another issue though, and I was only there for a day.

From what I've noticed, Cingular puts cutting edge technology over stability. Verizon has put together a huge campaign towards their stability and quality, and they stick to it. VZ just seems to be more patient in their releasing new devices and services.

Good luck in choosing!

archer6
11-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

My brother lives & works in your area. His company deploys 85 BB' using Cingular for the last 5 years.

When I decided to çhoose a carrier it was important that I find one that works in his area as well since I'm there a month at a time 3x a year. So I chose Cingular & have enjoyed great service without any problems.

rets
11-02-2006, 12:38 PM
I know that for any international travel, Cingular is your best bet. In terms of NYC, like it's been said, VZ & Cingular would be your best bet. I was in Manhattan with Sprint, though, and there service wasn't as good as the companies VZ blackberry I had with me at the time...That may have been another issue though, and I was only there for a day.

From what I've noticed, Cingular puts cutting edge technology over stability. Verizon has put together a huge campaign towards their stability and quality, and they stick to it. VZ just seems to be more patient in their releasing new devices and services.

Good luck in choosing!
Good comparison! Thanks. I do find more people loving VZ in Manhattan area... My company has dozens of facilities in 5-borough areas... the reliable and consistent coverage is necessary...

rets
11-02-2006, 12:44 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

My brother lives & works in your area. His company deploys 85 BB' using Cingular for the last 5 years.

When I decided to çhoose a carrier it was important that I find one that works in his area as well since I'm there a month at a time 3x a year. So I chose Cingular & have enjoyed great service without any problems.
Thanks for your suggestion.
To satisfy everyone is another challenge to me. Some people may live/travel to the neighborhoods full of trees/concrete-steel-buildings. It seems hard to get a single carrier and appease everyone's needs.

Since BES could work with all BBs, perhaps, I could prepare devices from VZ/Cingular at the same time...

archer6
11-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Thanks for your suggestion.
To satisfy everyone is another challenge to me. Some people may live/travel to the neighborhoods full of trees/concrete-steel-buildings. It seems hard to get a single carrier and appease everyone's needs.

Since BES could work with all BBs, perhaps, I could prepare devices from VZ/Cingular at the same time...

You bring up some very good points. I do know one thing from a business owners standpoint, and that is after personally trying Verizon, T-Mobile and Cingular I have found Cingular the best.

I travel extensively in the US and abroad and have found Cingular to provide exeptional service when I'm out of the US.

In addition, I have other associates with medium to large businesses (25 - 600 employees) in New York, San Francisco, London, Milan etc. deploying BB's and without exception they too have ended up either using Cingular from the beginning, or going back to Cingular after trying the other major carries.

I do not work for Cingular, just a satisfied customer that has recieved very good service and tech support when needed. As a business owner that is the most important consideration, good service and support.

flash24
11-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Hey there welcome to bbf.. don't forget to get berry 411, bb messenger, google map on your device. :D

rets
11-03-2006, 02:57 PM
We have T-Mobile...mainly due to the travel to Europe requirment. Works well, been happy with the service from them, no issues at all.
T-Mobile is the only providing BB8705e?... Cingular only has 8700c?... Um

rets
11-04-2006, 12:57 AM
Hey there welcome to bbf.. don't forget to get berry 411, bb messenger, google map on your device. :D
Just start to check them out... still long way to go... but would try them sometimes in the future... Thanks.

rets
11-04-2006, 01:00 AM
You bring up some very good points. I do know one thing from a business owners standpoint, and that is after personally trying Verizon, T-Mobile and Cingular I have found Cingular the best.

I travel extensively in the US and abroad and have found Cingular to provide exeptional service when I'm out of the US.

In addition, I have other associates with medium to large businesses (25 - 600 employees) in New York, San Francisco, London, Milan etc. deploying BB's and without exception they too have ended up either using Cingular from the beginning, or going back to Cingular after trying the other major carries.

I do not work for Cingular, just a satisfied customer that has recieved very good service and tech support when needed. As a business owner that is the most important consideration, good service and support.
Sounds good to me. We do need the reliable services for our BBs. Well, GSM does have the advantage if users travel abroad, and Cingular seems to edge most of carriers since they merged with AT&T.

Thunder7
11-04-2006, 02:22 AM
We have T-Mobile...mainly due to the travel to Europe requirment. Works well, been happy with the service from them, no issues at all.

rets
11-08-2006, 11:55 AM
Thanks, Thunder7. We'll definitely take a look at all the providers...

BTW, I probably will try the system from Sprint first 'cause they're going to provide the free BES software, which won't restrict my future use of other providers.

The free BES software may save me $3k~$4k. If we decide not to use BB at the end, we can easily get out of this whirlpool... anyway, I guess we're 95% sure we'll use BB after the trial...