PDA

View Full Version : Why send a message thru PIN?

faisal
11-08-2006, 04:14 PM
can someone please explain what the advantages are of PIN'ing someone as opposed to sending a email? is it faster?

Thanks alot

Pizzle
11-08-2006, 04:18 PM
Depends. Main advantage is that it keeps it off of e-mail servers...a bit more "private", if you will.

Also, if your Exchange Server is down, you'll still be able to PIN each other, provided that RIM's network is functioning.

You might try a search for "PIN Messaging" that may provide some more info for ya.

Welcome to the Forums.

faisal
11-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Depends. Main advantage is that it keeps it off of e-mail servers...a bit more "private", if you will.

Also, if your Exchange Server is down, you'll still be able to PIN each other, provided that RIM's network is functioning.

You might try a search for "PIN Messaging" that may provide some more info for ya.

Welcome to the Forums.

is it faster? It seems its lightning quick? is that true?

Pizzle
11-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Typically, yes. It's faster.

safah
11-08-2006, 05:53 PM
i use it mainly to test the connection...when a user cannot receieve emails, i try sending a pin msg, to make sure the network and signal is good, and the user has a valid data plan

Katrina Niolet
11-09-2006, 01:43 AM
Plus with PIN messages you get status info so the sender can see if the message was delivered or read (too bad its not always 100% acurate).
Also, unless I am wrong here, Blackberry Messenger uses PIN messaging.

takeshi
11-09-2006, 09:36 AM
BBM does use the PIN infrastructure so you also get delivery status on your BBM conversations. Delivery confirmation is a big reason I PIN. I've never had problems with false message delivery status, FWIW.

I have had SMS messages disappear into the bottomless pit or appear days late.

moosehead
11-09-2006, 09:50 AM
PIN messages are great via BBM when you are in an area where you do not have service. Because PIN uses RIM infastructure you can still communicate with another BB user.

I've been in the mall and couldn't find my girlfriend and didn't have service...BBM(pin) my girlfriend in order to find her...LOL

majorxp
11-09-2006, 10:06 AM
PIN messaging is not considered text messaging which on many plans is limited or costs extra.

pspiegel
11-09-2006, 04:29 PM
the biggest reason i use it is because a. it is FREE and b. there is no 160 character limit.. more private than an email too

uNtouched
11-09-2006, 04:38 PM
But I heard that if you're on BES, the messages can be intercepted...

See, I have my BB activated on Cingular Prepay (GoPhone) and didn't have the MDS or IPPP service books, I got it activated on my companies BES for that reason, and now I learned that pins, apps, email (obviously), websites browsed (If they went thru MDS), could all be intercepted and read.