PDA

View Full Version : want to switch, but can I?

dendox
11-08-2006, 09:57 PM
I used to have the 8700c and got away from it because the phone and battery on the two that I had were awful. I now have the Q - which I am relatively happy with.

I am obviously with verizon and the 8103e is what I am looking at getting. Here is what I can't remember. Right now I have push email from the exchange server at work (which also has a BES) and I have my phone set to dial in every 15 minutes and check my pop personal email accts. If I switch to the BB I want to have it set up with the BES, but can I still get my personal email every so often, or once it is set up with the BES is that the only thing I can get?

When I had the 8700c I used BIS, and I therefore didn't have this problem. I don't remember whether I could do what I am asking about now.

Thanks for the insight in advance.

jeb8703e
11-08-2006, 10:44 PM
you get up to 10 email accounts regardless of BES or BIS... and the model number you were going for was obviously an 8703e not 8103e...

Dubdub
11-08-2006, 10:44 PM
You have to have a BB data plan for the BB. Email is automatically pushed. I think you can have both a BES and BIS set up, but in any case, all mail is pushed, you can't dial in and ask for it.

At least that is how I understand it.

tsac
11-08-2006, 10:57 PM
Your non corporate email can be pushed to the BB by the server. Using Something like Yahoo is easy. Set the account to forward to your BB.

Pizzle
11-09-2006, 12:50 AM
I run a BES account and 5 BIS account on the same unit. I don't have any issues with it.

If you had issues with the 8700c and didn't like it, what makes you think that the 8703e will be a better fit?

dendox
11-09-2006, 06:12 AM
I loved everything about the phone, but the phone. I personally think it had a lot to do with it being GSM.

I had been on verizon for years and was very comfortable and used to the CDMA technology. GSM sucked for me because my wife (among others - but mostly her) would not talk to me when I was on it because of the volume of the ambient noise. If I was ever in the car she would just hang up. I had never had that problem before GSM.

I have a feeling that is not going to be the case here mainly because my wife's company gave her the sprint version the other day and I know from talking to her that hers does not have the ambient noise problem.

There will definitely be things about the Q that I will miss - camera being the biggie, but there will be things I don't (shi**y OS that doesn't even have a cut and paste feature and freezes regularly).

I wasn't aware that you could be on a BES and BIS at the same time. That is good to know. I think my problem has been solved. Thanks for the help guys.

Dubdub
11-09-2006, 07:47 AM
I don't think ambient noise is the fault of GSM. Sounds to me that it more the fault of the phone and where you are when you are using it.

takeshi
11-09-2006, 10:12 AM
If I switch to the BB I want to have it set up with the BES, but can I still get my personal email every so often, or once it is set up with the BES is that the only thing I can get?

That depends on what IT policies your company has in place. If the policies don't restrict BIS use then you can definitely use BIS as well as BES.

The GSM 87xx's definitely pick up a lot of ambient noise though it's not as bad with a good headset. I haven't had a chance to check out the CDMA ones (and doubt that I will).

dendox
11-09-2006, 12:03 PM
I don't think ambient noise is the fault of GSM. Sounds to me that it more the fault of the phone and where you are when you are using it.
so using it in the car is out of the question with the 87xx? That is when I got the most complaints. Do you think I need to buy a headset?

Not trying to be standoffish. Just curious as to your thought. Right now as a phone, the Q works very well - and I dont want to have to have a phone and a BB to do what my Q does now by istelf. But I do want the stability and simplicity of the BB.

coreyg510
11-09-2006, 12:25 PM
First off, you should pick a device that fits YOUR NEEDS, not the opinion of the public.

Secondly, if you decide to stick with that trusty blackberry, you may want to consider a BT headset. The Plantronics Voyager 510 has nice noise cancellation features. It can also connect to two different BT phones at once (you can answer a call on either, but not at the same time. It saves time from having to switch the connection from one phone to another)

Keep in mind that MOST PDA's are going to have a little poorer voice quality (from what I have found and experienced) than your regular phones. I suppose the idea is because they were designed for corporate environments.

the Gecko :wink: