PDA

View Full Version : 7100t - Broken Screen, Can it be fixed?

Vycor
03-26-2005, 04:49 PM
I bought a 7100t on ebay a while ago, it came in and the screen was broken. After a week I tracked the guy down who thought he could work one over on me, and he ended up sending me a money order for what I paid, told me I can keep the blackberry.

Out of boredom i decided to plug the 7100t with a broken screen (it is white with a big black area as if someone punched it or hit it, the screens in tact but inside it looks broken, cant see nuffin) into my computer, and my pc recognized it, it reads the pin and it lets me sync it up with my pc. Soooo i was wondering if anybody knew if I could have the 7100t repaired, can they replace the broken screen??? Anybody know?

jibi
03-26-2005, 11:22 PM
take it to T-Mobile. they should be able to have it repaired, although it may cost you (probably no more or maybe less than it cost to purchase it - sans the free price you have now).

teskew
03-27-2005, 12:21 AM
At least the seller gave you your money back...some sellers are real bozos on ebay..

Vycor
03-27-2005, 12:55 AM
Welllll theres an interesting story behind that. He wasnt easy to find.. heres what i wrote bout it in my blog:

So I ordered a BlackBerry 7100T from eBay. I also ordered one from T-Mobile because it came 2 days earlier. I was going to sell the one I bought on eBay, back on eBay. Anyway, the one I bought from eBay shows up. No box and the screen is cracked. So i email the seller, no response. I email him again, nothing. So then I call the # listed on the eBay account, #'s invalid. So I called the number on the UPS package. I got a person who said his name was Gerard Bongiovanni, but he did not sell anything on eBay and didn't know why his address was listed. OK, so I let it go and i email PayPal and eBay. Well today I did some more research. I searched Google and found a Gerard Bongiovanni Sr. who is a Judge out in Las Vegas, NV. So I call him and explain the story. It might be his son, but his son has a different name he says. Okay so I leave my info. Then I do more research and find an adoption site with Gerards Information, I guess its the JR, as I asked the SR if his son is adopted, he said yes. So I contact Gerard via adoption.com and I see an address listed. Well... it just so happens the address listed is the same one on my UPS package. I didn't call the # listed though. So then I do more research. I find that Gerard is married to a Sarah and they had a baby. Well I remember hearing what sounded like a kid in the background when I spoke to the 1st Gerard, so I search for Sarah's name... what do you know, a phone # is listed. So I call her, and leave a message. About 2 minutes after I leave the message, Gerard (Senior) calls. Says he will send me a money order for $315 so we can put this past us. He asked that I stop calling his home (funny I only called ONCE... or maybe i called more then once since I called a bunch of times to different #'s, prolly same guy)... so anyway he said I don't hafta send broken unit back and since hes sending the money order we can concider this over. I thanked him.

So from what I gather, hes the same Gerard and he didn't expect me to catch on so quick. So we'll see if the money order actually arrives or not.

veeceeonefive
03-27-2005, 12:59 AM
eeeeh. physically damaged screen on a 7100 is gonna cost near as much as a 7100 to replace.

if i were you...

i'd find out:

a) whether or not t-mo sells an extended warranty which covers screen/physical damage (if not, you're buggered).

b) t-mo's return policy (time period, talk time, full refund or restocking fee, etc).

if both of the above appeared favourable, i'd buy a new 7100t with the aforementioned warranty. i'd then bring in the broken phone, produce my warranty documentation, and convince the salesperson to do an OTC exchange.

i'd then go to another t-mo store, and return the 7100 for a full refund.

if i were you, that's all.

teskew
03-27-2005, 01:31 AM
WOW - that's alot of searching. Kudos to you for finding him~

Vycor
03-27-2005, 01:32 AM
Ehh not worth all that. I mean the phone was free for me so not like i am in a huge bind. Just a shame, perfectly good phone going to waste like that cause its got a broken screen

teskew
03-27-2005, 01:34 AM
bummer...

Vycor
03-27-2005, 01:49 AM
I took it apart :)

http://www.adamdaley.com/gallery/albums/miscellaneous/PICT1353.sized.jpg

teskew
03-27-2005, 01:50 AM
Can you sell the parts?

Vycor
03-27-2005, 02:12 AM
Wanna see somin cool. I took the entire thing apart, I even removed the screen ( and the ribbon cable actually broke I think it didnt just come out) and i put it alll back together, and i put the screen back in and smooshed the ribbon cable back where it was, i turned it on and the SCREEN actually lit up (its still broken but it lit up), wow am i good or what: here it is after i put all those pieces back together:

http://www.adamdaley.com/gallery/albums/miscellaneous/PICT1357.sized.jpg

jtracey
03-28-2005, 01:06 PM
http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=SFNT

They currently do not have the 7100 yet, but may in the future. I have used them in the past for a old Palm Pilot.

MooseNYC
04-02-2005, 07:19 PM
Hi Vycor,

I recall another member posting about his company selling BB parts. including the screen. I looked at his site (haven't bought anything) and it looks like its $150 for a screen (http://www.promobility.net/html/blackberryparts.shtml). So if you paid twice that for the phone (seeing that you got the $$ back) drop the $150 on the screen and you'll be able to sell that sucker for a lot more!
Check out this guys responses.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/search.php?searchid=25529

I'm going to keep an eye on this site I want to convert a couple 7100t to either g or maybe x cases for some friends, hopefully the cost for the kits will be about on par for what the others are.

Thats also why I asked so many questions in that other thread about your 'disassembly'

Best regards,
Dave

finch
04-02-2005, 07:39 PM
Can you sell the parts?
Let me know if your interested in selling the front and back case? My wife has a 7100t and the front and back case are beat up, I would love to replace them with your parts if you'll wwilling to let them go? PM or email me.

Finch

lifestar53
12-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Wanna see somin cool. I took the entire thing apart, I even removed the screen ( and the ribbon cable actually broke I think it didnt just come out) and i put it alll back together, and i put the screen back in and smooshed the ribbon cable back where it was, i turned it on and the SCREEN actually lit up (its still broken but it lit up), wow am i good or what: here it is after i put all those pieces back together:

http://www.adamdaley.com/gallery/albums/miscellaneous/PICT1357.sized.jpg

Got any step by step instructions to disassemble it ?

crakbarree7100
12-10-2005, 01:15 PM
eeeeh. physically damaged screen on a 7100 is gonna cost near as much as a 7100 to replace.

if i were you...

i'd find out:

a) whether or not t-mo sells an extended warranty which covers screen/physical damage (if not, you're buggered).

b) t-mo's return policy (time period, talk time, full refund or restocking fee, etc).

if both of the above appeared favourable, i'd buy a new 7100t with the aforementioned warranty. i'd then bring in the broken phone, produce my warranty documentation, and convince the salesperson to do an OTC exchange.

i'd then go to another t-mo store, and return the 7100 for a full refund.

if i were you, that's all.

Multiple flaws here, the OTC thing will not work. All phones that leave the store must be opened before the customer leaves with it to ensure the product is functional. You won't have success going that route.

TMo offers no extended warranties like Best Buy does, you would have to have the Eqpt Protection already on the account to file a claim (for at least 30 days).

DO THIS: Call TMo Data Group , set up a warranty exchange (dont tell them the screen is cracked, make something up that would be warrantied) and the out of warranty fee for a cracked screen is only $100, much LESS than the replacement cost. The fee will be applied to your bill and it usually takes a month or two before it shows up.

Here is a direct line to TMO CustCare (no voice automation): 1.877.606.4801
Tell themyou have a BB and they will get you right to the Data Group

whistler
12-18-2005, 01:50 AM
let us know how it goes!

KonTiki
12-18-2005, 09:01 AM
I cant believe how many of you are willing to be caught in a fraudulent situation over the exchange of a phone. Consider this, pictures have already been posted and are a matter of public record, how hard would it be to prove the issue? Consider this everyphone has a PIN assigned to the hardware itself, how hard would it be to prove the deception?

JeniP720
07-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Welllll theres an interesting story behind that. He wasnt easy to find.. heres what i wrote bout it in my blog:

So I ordered a BlackBerry 7100T from eBay. I also ordered one from T-Mobile because it came 2 days earlier. I was going to sell the one I bought on eBay, back on eBay. Anyway, the one I bought from eBay shows up. No box and the screen is cracked. So i email the seller, no response. I email him again, nothing. So then I call the # listed on the eBay account, #'s invalid. So I called the number on the UPS package. I got a person who said his name was Gerard Bongiovanni, but he did not sell anything on eBay and didn't know why his address was listed. OK, so I let it go and i email PayPal and eBay. Well today I did some more research. I searched Google and found a Gerard Bongiovanni Sr. who is a Judge out in Las Vegas, NV. So I call him and explain the story. It might be his son, but his son has a different name he says. Okay so I leave my info. Then I do more research and find an adoption site with Gerards Information, I guess its the JR, as I asked the SR if his son is adopted, he said yes. So I contact Gerard via adoption.com and I see an address listed. Well... it just so happens the address listed is the same one on my UPS package. I didn't call the # listed though. So then I do more research. I find that Gerard is married to a Sarah and they had a baby. Well I remember hearing what sounded like a kid in the background when I spoke to the 1st Gerard, so I search for Sarah's name... what do you know, a phone # is listed. So I call her, and leave a message. About 2 minutes after I leave the message, Gerard (Senior) calls. Says he will send me a money order for $315 so we can put this past us. He asked that I stop calling his home (funny I only called ONCE... or maybe i called more then once since I called a bunch of times to different #'s, prolly same guy)... so anyway he said I don't hafta send broken unit back and since hes sending the money order we can concider this over. I thanked him.

So from what I gather, hes the same Gerard and he didn't expect me to catch on so quick. So we'll see if the money order actually arrives or not.

I know the guy that sold this to you..He is GB JR. I used to work with him at a cell phone company in Vegas.. Do you still have the number for him and Sarah that you called??