PDA

View Full Version : Names not showing on incoming calls

amishjs
11-12-2006, 11:33 PM
I've noticed a new problem with my 7130c (roughly 5 months old). Occasionally, when someone calls me, only the number will show up on the screen. Their name will not show up on the screen, even if they are listed in my address book, so I can't identify who they are. If I ignore the call, but then view the call log, the caller's name show's up like it should.

Has anyone else run into this?

BBtechrep
11-13-2006, 12:03 AM
I've noticed a new problem with my 7130c (roughly 5 months old). Occasionally, when someone calls me, only the number will show up on the screen. Their name will not show up on the screen, even if they are listed in my address book, so I can't identify who they are. If I ignore the call, but then view the call log, the caller's name show's up like it should.

First step you might try is toggling the way your address book is sorted. Go into the address book, click on the track wheel, select SORT BY and change back and forth how you wish to sort the address book list (last name, first name).

One other step to try if that doesn't work is to go to the home screen, hold down your ALT key while typing LGLG that will put you on the "Event Log Warning" screen. From there just click on the track wheel, select Clear Log, Delete. Then take out the battery (without turning it off) and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. After that, let go of the power button and put the battery back in and let it reboot. When finished, try having someone from your address book call in to see if it will show up again.

If THOSE steps failed to fix it then make sure your Blackberry's contacts are synced up or backed up and then hook up your Blackberry to your Desktop Manager program, go to Backup/Restore, click Advanced and then on the right side of the listing, select Address Book and press "Clear" to clear out the contacts from the blackberry. After doing this step you may want to unplugged if for a few moments and do what I described in the previous paragraph. If you do those steps above then rehooked up your Blackberry to the Desktop Manager and re-sync or restore the address book contacts back into the device and then try again to have someone from your list call in and see if their name reappears.

If nothing has worked so far then make sure your contacts are backed up or synced and reload the HHSW and then afterwards, restore or re-sync and try once again to see if person's calling in will show up.

If you are not comfortable doing these suggestions by yourself, contact your carriers Blackberry Help Desk Support Line and ask for assistance in doing some of these steps I mentioned. There's a remote chance that your blackberry would have to go to be serviced and/or repaired. This is mostly a software issue on the device in which reloading most likely will correct the issue but try those steps before going that route to help save yourself some time and headache if at all possible.

Hope this helps.

BB Tech Rep

penguin3107
11-13-2006, 07:01 AM

Is the blackberry locked when this happens? Are you using content protection?

amishjs
11-13-2006, 11:16 AM
BBtechrep - Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try these out. Are these official RIM support procedures?

Penguin - I can't remember for certain if the BB is locked when this happens. I'd guess sometimes (autolock is enabled, but when I unlock, I usually don't relock right away). Its an intermittent problem - so sometimes names show up, and sometimes they don't. What is content protection? (not sure if I'm using it or not).

BBtechrep
11-13-2006, 03:17 PM
BBtechrep - Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try these out. Are these official RIM support procedures?

Penguin - I can't remember for certain if the BB is locked when this happens. I'd guess sometimes (autolock is enabled, but when I unlock, I usually don't relock right away). Its an intermittent problem - so sometimes names show up, and sometimes they don't. What is content protection? (not sure if I'm using it or not).

These are official RIM support procedures that I help my customers with when ever they experience the same problems you have. The HHSW reload is usually or last resort procedure and most of the time it appears as if clearing out the bb's address book contents and then putting them back in clears up the problem.

Again, if you are not comfortable doing these steps yourself, I could contact your carrier's BB Help Desk Support Line for further assistance.

Hope this helps.

BB Tech Rep

mister.zero
11-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Content Protection is under Options -> Security -> General Settings. I've seen this problem posted a few times, and having Content Protection enabled was sometimes the cause.

I'm not sure if the content is only protected when the phone is locked, however.

amishjs
11-13-2006, 06:19 PM
BBTechRep - I'm pretty comfortable doing the above. I tried the first few, but haven't tried clearing the address book or doing a HHSW (i'm assuming this means handheld software?) reinstall.

I did just check and it appears that I did have content protection enabled. This isn't something I've personally changed recently, so either my company enabled it (can they do that remotely?) or this is not the cause of the problem. It appears that I can change the setting, so I'd like to play around with the setting (just haven't had the chance yet today) and test it before I resort to the handheld wipe.

amishjs
11-14-2006, 03:31 PM
I disabled content protection and this appears to have fixed the issue.

BBtechrep
11-16-2006, 11:36 PM
BBTechRep - I'm pretty comfortable doing the above. I tried the first few, but haven't tried clearing the address book or doing a HHSW (i'm assuming this means handheld software?) reinstall.

I did just check and it appears that I did have content protection enabled. This isn't something I've personally changed recently, so either my company enabled it (can they do that remotely?) or this is not the cause of the problem. It appears that I can change the setting, so I'd like to play around with the setting (just haven't had the chance yet today) and test it before I resort to the handheld wipe.

Are you on BES? That could be why it may have been enabled. Most of the time when people call in, we go with the other "procedures" and it too corrects the problem. But then the people calling in are not usually on BES but BIS so the BES system could be setting that up as part of some IT Policy or something.

Whatever the case, glad it's been cleared up.

BB Tech Rep