PDA

View Full Version : Weak Speaker

mat912
11-13-2006, 10:14 AM
I find the 8100 speaker real weak compared to other blackberry models.
I did drill some holes in the back cover but it is still not loud enough.

Is it possible to mod it and put in a higher output speaker?
This would be a good little project.

red_octane_aero
11-13-2006, 10:36 AM
That would be cool. Maybe we can do a "dual speaker"...ala Stereo? Heheh

TheBigNewt
11-13-2006, 11:07 AM
It is pretty weak IMO. I see it in there with the cover off, looks big enuf. I think the fact that it plays out of the mostly sealed top is the reason. If you point the top at you its a lot louder. I used mp3gain to jack up the volume of my RTs to 103 and now they sound loud enuf in my pocket.

red_octane_aero
11-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Does it sound distorted though?

TheBigNewt
11-13-2006, 02:15 PM
You mean after I jacked up the volume using mp3gain? I originally used the max increase (105.5) and several distorted (even though it's not supposed to clip). So I redid them to 102 or 103 and they're fine now. You can check and see what the original file is at before you do it. The default is 96.

red_octane_aero
11-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Cool. Is it a free app or where could I get it?

SanFrancisco
11-13-2006, 03:12 PM
I find the 8100 speaker real weak compared to other blackberry models.
I did drill some holes in the back cover but it is still not loud enough.

Is it possible to mod it and put in a higher output speaker?
This would be a good little project.

I think the speaker is pretty loud compared to other phones that I have had.

Don't know if there is a way to increase performance in the small confines that the speaker occupies and considering the Pearl's power limitations. It seems that the speaker/sound is tweaked to perform as well as it can. I mean, if you hold the Pearl in your hand and take in its size, it's a pretty small form factor to try and get "bigger sound" out of it.

Personally, I am happy with the speaker's performance. If I want better sound I hook up my Seidio 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter and put on some headphones.