PDA

View Full Version : Incoming Calls being dumped into VM!?!?!

Ryder
11-13-2006, 02:12 PM
Hi All,

While doing a search on this topic I hadn't realized I was in another forum before posting this over on the 8700 board, doh... I didn't find many results, so here it goes again.

I've had my Pearl for a little over 2 weeks now and it's simply one of the best phones/devices i've owned but I just have one nagging issue I can't seem to figure out. Hopefully you guys can shed some light on it....

If my BB sits idle for an extended period of time, anywhere from 1hr+, incoming calls seem to be automatically forwarded to my voicemail! In order to start receiving calls again I have to place an outgoing call. This has become really annoying. I've tried to select the never forward calls but that option doesn't seem to stick/save. At first I thought it was the phone so I've got a 2nd BB Pearl from TMobile and this problem continues... Is this an issue with the phone/software or my service provider? Any other settings I should check?

Though dumping incoming calls into my VM sucks what is worse is that I don't even get the notification of a new VM because the phone doesn't even sync up to my service provider unless I place that initial outgoing call [at least this is what I believe...]

All in all it's a slick phone, I'd really like to keep it but I can't if it's not going to be reliable. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Ryder
11-14-2006, 02:02 PM
bump :oops:

no one experiences this but me?

one detail I did not provide was that I do not subscribe yet to any internet/data plan, so I don't have it hooked up to my corp email or any personal email accounts. will this have something to do with it?

I'm guessing that if I set it up to sync with my corp email or personal email accounts that the BB will constantly be somewhat 'connected' to the network and this would solve my issue... on the other hand if i just wanted to use this BB as a cell phone I'm SOL???

any thoughts...

No Longer Registered.
11-15-2006, 12:21 AM
Hi there. No relation to your question, but don't feel bad that you didn't get any answer to your question...yet. There might be alot of members who browsed your thread, but probably they don't have any solutions or have not come across the same issue as yours. Just hang in there and browse some other threads. I see you are new.. so welcome!

Have you tried calling your service provider about this issue? Technical support? That might be a good start.

Ryder
11-16-2006, 02:00 PM
Hi there. No relation to your question, but don't feel bad that you didn't get any answer to your question...yet. There might be alot of members who browsed your thread, but probably they don't have any solutions or have not come across the same issue as yours. Just hang in there and browse some other threads. I see you are new.. so welcome!

Have you tried calling your service provider about this issue? Technical support? That might be a good start.

Hey thanks for the reply... no worries really. I just figured most everyone on here has some sort of data plan and are constantly connected to their service provider's network. I think this really is the problem.

I have contacted TMobile and they have tried to trouble shoot this problem and can't figure it out. Went so far as to wipe the phone and place a couple calls to my BB to determine how many rings it took to get dumped into my VM.
This was a complete waste of time... why? well after wiping the phone and running through the wizard again, the BB connects to the network... so of course he's going to get a couple of rings before getting my VM.. duh! What he should have done first was call my BB to confirm that indeed incoming calls were going directly to VM without even a ring... Then he proceeds to read off some canned response to customer concerns about failed calls.
I proceeded to tell the CustomeDoesntCare rep that I've been with TMobile for nearly 4 years have had a couple phones and have never once experienced this problem until I got the new Pearl.

In any event, i'm past the 14day refund policy... he suggested if the problem continues... and it does, that I should exchange for another Pearl to see if that fixes the problem. I told him I already have... Then he tells me that the BB has a 1yr warranty on it, so that's great.... basically I can exchange for a new BB everyday, every week, every month for the next year until I get one that doesn't have this problem... :-o (y) , this is what he says!
So cool enough...

omnibranch
11-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Hmmm,

I'm having a very similar problem with my Pearl.

I am a Rogers (Canada) subscriber but not to data services yet.

Despite full signal strength... Intermittently, calls go directly to VM (I don't get notification)...
but unlike you, when I try and make calls I get "Call Failed".

To correct the problem I need to turn the phone off and then on again.

At the recommendation of Rogers support staff, I reloaded the firmware today with the same version that was already there (v4.2.0.51)... and they made some changes on their side... I don't know why that should work, but hey, it's worth a try.

If the problem recurs in the next few days I'll return here to let you know.

p_dizzo
11-29-2006, 04:22 PM
Hey Ryder,

if it's somewhat reassuring, i have witnessed this problem with other blackberries on a different network, so it's not just you. i've seen this on only on CDMA EV-DO BBs unfortunately(7130e & 8703e with Bell Mobility). something i've noticed is that this happens only with BBs without data plans. i have witnessed 2 cases where without the data component, all incoming calls go straight to voicemail, and only when an outgoing call is made, the vm notification comes on. oddly enough, the premise from where this happens is only when the BB has been used with data previously, then the hardware goes on an account without data or the data feature is removed sometime after. i've dealt with it as far as i could with BM the first time I witnessed this, and the only solution was to add back data.

recently, i witnessed it on 2 cases, with a 7130e that was transferred from an account with data to an account without data, and the second case was a 8703e that simply was newly activated on a voice plan. something i did find was that if the 8703e's network preference was switched to 1x only, it resolved the issue. however, the 7130e, it still acts up intermittendly, where it allows incoming for a time period, then stops receiving calls. i was given one tip to do a selective restore with the crucial info(calender/contacts/etc) so that the data profile does not get loaded, which may force the device to constantly busy with data activity, but as in your case and in the 8703e case, not having data to begin with does the same thing.

interestingly enough, i did a search on this forum to see if anyone else had this issue, but i too was hoping for some answers. so, it's not the hardware, that's for certain, i've seen replacement devices do the same thing.

i haven't had time to bother anyone in RIM yet though...

Ryder
12-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Hey Ryder,

if it's somewhat reassuring, i have witnessed this problem with other blackberries on a different network, so it's not just you. i've seen this on only on CDMA EV-DO BBs unfortunately(7130e & 8703e with Bell Mobility). something i've noticed is that this happens only with BBs without data plans. i have witnessed 2 cases where without the data component, all incoming calls go straight to voicemail, and only when an outgoing call is made, the vm notification comes on. oddly enough, the premise from where this happens is only when the BB has been used with data previously, then the hardware goes on an account without data or the data feature is removed sometime after. i've dealt with it as far as i could with BM the first time I witnessed this, and the only solution was to add back data.

recently, i witnessed it on 2 cases, with a 7130e that was transferred from an account with data to an account without data, and the second case was a 8703e that simply was newly activated on a voice plan. something i did find was that if the 8703e's network preference was switched to 1x only, it resolved the issue. however, the 7130e, it still acts up intermittendly, where it allows incoming for a time period, then stops receiving calls. i was given one tip to do a selective restore with the crucial info(calender/contacts/etc) so that the data profile does not get loaded, which may force the device to constantly busy with data activity, but as in your case and in the 8703e case, not having data to begin with does the same thing.

interestingly enough, i did a search on this forum to see if anyone else had this issue, but i too was hoping for some answers. so, it's not the hardware, that's for certain, i've seen replacement devices do the same thing.

i haven't had time to bother anyone in RIM yet though...
Thanks for the reply!
I haven't checked this thread in ages. Glad to finally know it's not just my phone.

To keep everyone or anyone that cares... I'm on my 3rd Pearl now and it still happens. TMobile just made available device updates on their site so I've updated my Pearl just yesterday and the problems still persist.

I'm living with the issue for now... it's annoying but it really is NBD.

thanks again for the reply p_dizzo (y)