PDA

View Full Version : Having problems with Pocketmac 4.0? Try these...

Eternal
11-14-2006, 05:36 AM
Hi all,

I have had some teething troubles getting the new version of PocketMac to sync with my 8700. Having contacted tech support, I thought the following explanation would be beneficial for others to see. They have certainly helped resolve my issues which included ignoring my iCal tasks, which wouldn't sync.

The support applications (see below) are particularly useful. Remember to back up everything first before you go ahead, but it seems if you purge the old details on the BB, PM4.0 will start with a clean slate and actually work.

If you use BES BlackBerry Enterprise Wireless server in the office, please turn it off on the BlackBerry when syncing with the Mac. Generally, to turn off wireless synchronization, you get into the specific application (Address Book, Calendar, Tasks, or Memos), then click on the wheel and choose "Options", then scroll to the "Wireless Synchronization" option, and set that to "No" to turn it off and "Yes" to turn it back on. You then have to "Save" the setting.

I would recommend that you run the following utilities. Both are located in your Home folder/Library/Application Support/PocketMacSyncManager/Additional Tools.

The first is DataPurgeUI. You can run this and choose to purge the type of data that is giving you trouble. THIS WILL ERASE DATA FROM YOUR BLACKBERRY.

The second is SyncClean. Please run this and click each button, Clean Sync Services Files and Clean PocketMac Files. This will only delete temporary data on your Mac. PLEASE RESTART YOUR MAC AFTER THIS STEP.

Another option you might use in addition to these utilities is to overwrite the BlackBerry with data from the Mac. To do this, click "Advanced Preferences..." option next to the data you are trying to sync. Next, click "Overwrite device". This will overwrite data on the BlackBerry with data on the Mac for this option.

I would suggest ignoring old events. This is setup in Advanced Preferences as well.

Lastly, you may have long notes or text or special symbols that are causing the sync to stop.

We have found that eliminating long text and other problem data, followed by a SyncClean and DataPurgeUI (wipe of BlackBery data) helps to get that first sync to work as well as further down the line when you run into trouble.