PDA

View Full Version : Getting Spam directly on BlackBerry

beerdini
11-16-2006, 09:56 AM
Over this last weekend, November 11, I have started receiving spam messages directly to my blackberry. My device was hooked to our email server running groupwise and the messages were not coming from there, I have not given out my Blackberry's information to anyone, and the "To" addresses has been to the following names, none of which I have any known association with:

beer@<hidden>
beepers@<hidden>
beepw@<hidden>
and one that I have since deleted from (something).blackberry.hu

Does anyone know why or how I got on these lists and how I can stop them. They're eating up my data limit, I've tried contacting RIM but they're not much help unless you purchase support with them, and this is something that I don't think you should need a support plan for them to address.

LunkHead
11-16-2006, 09:58 AM
Over this last weekend, November 11, I have started receiving spam messages directly to my blackberry. My device was hooked to our email server running groupwise and the messages were not coming from there, I have not given out my Blackberry's information to anyone, and the "To" addresses has been to the following names, none of which I have any known association with:

beer@<hidden>
beepers@<hidden>
beepw@<hidden>
and one that I have since deleted from (something).blackberry.hu

Does anyone know why or how I got on these lists and how I can stop them. They're eating up my data limit, I've tried contacting RIM but they're not much help unless you purchase support with them, and this is something that I don't think you should need a support plan for them to address.

There are several threads about this... Many are getting spammed as late..

tannis00
11-16-2006, 10:00 AM
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 7280: BlackBerry7280/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.2.3.15.0)

I've been getting the same thing except than the 'To:' address always starts with tann. Looks like someone is sending to all possible addresses with one 'To:' address and as many 'Bcc:' adresses as they can manage.

tannis00
11-16-2006, 10:01 AM
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 7280: BlackBerry7280/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.2.3.15.0)

I've been getting the same thing except than the 'To:' address always starts with tann. Looks like someone is sending to all possible addresses with one 'To:' address and as many 'Bcc:' adresses as they can manage.