PDA

View Full Version : Pearl - summary of issues

krisstrue
11-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Using Pearl for at least a month now I decided to summarize the issues I faced, small and big, mainly with hope that this time there will be someone around who could help me tackle at least some of them. Unfortunately I am afraid some issues are strickly provider related (or to be more specific lack of compatibility of provider's configuration with the new line of BBs):

1. Phone call lag - calling party can not hear me for a good 3-4 secs after I pick up with a 'green handset' button. Recently (last two days) I have been only answering with a trackball and did not observe this issue... Just luck or a temporary solution of the problem?

2. Contact name not displayed despite being in the address book. Number in the address book saved as +481231234567 while caller ID shows as 01231234567. Country code set correctly in Pearl. All other phones work OK, but BB have to be different, right?

3. Problems with stability of bluetooth connection with my Nokia 616 Car kit - Pearl gets regularly disconnected. Again "All other phones work OK, but BB have to be different, right?" thing... Contact names transfer is surely to much to ask for...

4. No Internet Browser available - service books sent (and seen in the service books listing), phone registered in the network, but no Internet Browser... I am afraid it might be some sort of provider incompatibility...

5. Items sent from Lotus Notes appear in the list as unread items and are very hard to get rid of the list - unread message counter thus does not work properly. Could be a BES compatibility issue - our IT is not willing to upgrade BES to often...

That is it really - not a big list, but most of the above are very annoying small things (may be so annoying because they seem so relatively simple to tackle, but nobody cares about them).

Anything I missed on the list above from them well known bugs? Any simple solutions you have to any of the above?

Kris

Mandizzle
11-16-2006, 01:30 PM
I'm also experiencing the call lag problem. Haven't tried picking up using the trackball so that might be a temporary solution.

Another problem i'm experiencing is that the wrong picture gets displayed for the wrong caller.

I have yet to install the upgrade to .64 OS so that might take care of these problems...

lonnielove
11-16-2006, 11:06 PM
The Battery Cover Suck As, Other Than That No Other Problems Here, Who Was The One That Sell Battery Cover Doors.

clgjlg
11-17-2006, 06:48 AM
Using Pearl for at least a month now I decided to summarize the issues I faced, small and big, mainly with hope that this time there will be someone around who could help me tackle at least some of them. Unfortunately I am afraid some issues are strickly provider related (or to be more specific lack of compatibility of provider's configuration with the new line of BBs):

1. Phone call lag - calling party can not hear me for a good 3-4 secs after I pick up with a 'green handset' button. Recently (last two days) I have been only answering with a trackball and did not observe this issue... Just luck or a temporary solution of the problem?

2. Contact name not displayed despite being in the address book. Number in the address book saved as +481231234567 while caller ID shows as 01231234567. Country code set correctly in Pearl. All other phones work OK, but BB have to be different, right?

3. Problems with stability of bluetooth connection with my Nokia 616 Car kit - Pearl gets regularly disconnected. Again "All other phones work OK, but BB have to be different, right?" thing... Contact names transfer is surely to much to ask for...

4. No Internet Browser available - service books sent (and seen in the service books listing), phone registered in the network, but no Internet Browser... I am afraid it might be some sort of provider incompatibility...

5. Items sent from Lotus Notes appear in the list as unread items and are very hard to get rid of the list - unread message counter thus does not work properly. Could be a BES compatibility issue - our IT is not willing to upgrade BES to often...

That is it really - not a big list, but most of the above are very annoying small things (may be so annoying because they seem so relatively simple to tackle, but nobody cares about them).

Anything I missed on the list above from them well known bugs? Any simple solutions you have to any of the above?

Kris

Anyone had any luck with the address book issue above? I have just bought the phone and I having the same issue.

Cheers,

Chris

hurstnicholas
11-17-2006, 07:04 AM
AND no apparent indication that Missed calls have occured and/or Voicemails have arrived.
I only discover these by opening Messages.
Sadly, Messages includes all incoming emails, so I am prone to ignore red asterixes highlighting Messages, because I assume they will be notifying me of yet more spam emails.

TheBigNewt
11-17-2006, 12:56 PM
I have the Phone log on the desktop so I don't have to check messages to see missed calls/voicemail. Different call types have different icons to the left of them in the phone log. I think there's also a very small icon (looks like a little cassette tape) that appears when you have voicemail that appears upper left.

Wiretangled
11-17-2006, 02:06 PM
I am a new user as well and here goes my list of issues/complaints:

1) Phone dies often, I have wiped it 6 times, tried different handheld software versions and nada. It used to work fine for a couple of days in a row, but.....

2) Contact info not displayed when receiveng a call, CAPS symbol issue over signal meter.

3) Trackball, keyboard unresponsive most of the time.

4) "Weq" characters appear uncommanded, escape key useless.

5) No browser; service books stored.

6) Not sure if this is a bug, but when loading OS phone screen goes black.

I am sick and tired of the crappy performance of a "leading edge" technology device. What are my odds of getting warranty replacement from RIM?, bought phone on eBay, got it unlocked from T-Mobile.

Any advise is greatly appreciated and badly needed.

TIA

The Jester
11-20-2006, 12:27 AM
I have had only ONE problem with my pearl, and its just an annoyance.

I use Yahoo Messager a lot with this phone, but whenever I recieve a message, I get and audio alert. I went into my profiles and set all (and I mean ALL) of the messaging alerts to a certain notification, including the option for yahoo, but i still get that same annoying alert, not the one I selected.I even hear it when I put the phone on silent. I went into yahoo messager and looked to see if there was some sort of mute option, no luck.

Is there something im missing here or what?

Thanks guys.

scanido
11-20-2006, 03:33 PM
I also bought my phone on Ebay (t-Mob version) and was wondering what sort of support there is. Would i be able to send to RIM directly if i came across a hardware issue?

Fungineer
11-20-2006, 09:32 PM
I also bought my phone on Ebay (t-Mob version) and was wondering what sort of support there is. Would i be able to send to RIM directly if i came across a hardware issue?
no. your service support is with your carrier, not RIM. defective units should likewise be returned to the carrier.

mgmbh1
11-21-2006, 02:32 AM
I also have the phone call lag problem. Has anyone found any solutions to this?

hurstnicholas
11-21-2006, 03:55 AM
I'd like the 'phone to vibrate and ring simultaneously (for when its buried under layers of sound-deadening winter garb).
All I seem to be able to do, is get it to vibrate and couple of times and THEN ring a couple of times - often not long enough for me to get to the blasted thing!
Any work-arounds?

hurstnicholas
11-22-2006, 04:05 AM
Oh joy.
Back to the supplier the 'phone goes:
a) The back keeps sliding off - it seems that the plastic protrusion on it that engages with the catch has worn down already and is consequently not locking.
b) The sync cable does not stay in place properly and the slightest movement (e.g. the 'phone vibrating to announce a call) disconnects it.

aleki
11-22-2006, 10:16 AM
2. I found that the mine works best with the coutry code set to "Unknown". This makes it handle local and international calls better.

3. In order for my blackberry to work well with my car's bluetooth system I had to remove all special characters from phone numbers so you can't have numbers saved like you mentioned in problem #2. I also had to delete any groups that I had set up before I got a stabe connection and the addressbook downloaded to the car. Before doing this cleanup it would connect and disconnect immediately whereas all previous phones worked fine.

philF
02-13-2007, 11:24 AM
the phone numbers such as +44 777 etc etc display properly when copied to the SIM and not on the phone memory. Unfortunately they then don't appear to work properly with voice dialling!

philF
02-13-2007, 11:31 AM
the phone numbers such as +44 777 etc etc display properly when copied to the SIM and not on the phone memory. Unfortunately they then don't appear to work properly with voice dialling!

philF
02-13-2007, 11:50 AM
Managed to fix this!!

Go to your telephone | full menu | options | Smart Dialling and set your Country Code to +44

My Numbers are now recognised without having to copy to SIM!!!

rkkeller
02-13-2007, 01:08 PM
My Pearl has been pretty stable for the approx. 3 months I have had it. I have had a few small glitches and some slowdowns but nothing major.

I also do a battery pull once a week to reset it or after I install or remove a lot of programs.

rkkeller
02-13-2007, 01:08 PM
My Pearl has been pretty stable for the approx. 3 months I have had it. I have had a few small glitches and some slowdowns but nothing major.

I also do a battery pull once a week to reset it or after I install or remove a lot of programs.

plottey
02-13-2007, 10:17 PM
on the rumor forum, nobody knows that the 8100 needs to have these issues addressed..........

NJBlackBerry
02-13-2007, 10:20 PM
And you posted a rumor that a new Pearl will be out to "fix these".
Fine.

plottey
02-13-2007, 10:22 PM
its called refinement and correcting to perfecting the better smartphone

ReeRee
04-16-2007, 05:35 AM
I haven't had my 8100 long and hence can't work out:

1. How to chnage country code to stop all messages being received with the +44 prfix's which doesn't match my address book (where none of the numbers have prefix's) so hence, I don't know whose contacted me.

2. Wether or not once the above is set to 'unkown', this will stop the 8100 from disconnecting with my Nokia 616 in the car every 3 minutes and will also allow me to download contacts which the Nokia is currently saying is not compatible?

TheXman
04-16-2007, 06:21 AM
There's a major bug with Profiles. If you have multiple mailboxes configured in BIS, one or more mailboxes may not show up when editing profiles. This is a confirmed bug. The tracking number is SDR105170 at RIM.

NJBlackBerry
04-16-2007, 07:13 AM
How to chnage country code to stop all messages being received with the +44 prfix's which doesn't match my address book (where none of the numbers have prefix's) so hence, I don't know whose contacted me.

Posted many times (by me, actually). Hit the green button. Click the menu key and select "Options" and then "Smart Dialing". Change the Country Code to +44.

jamieinman
04-16-2007, 07:21 AM
That's great to fix the number extension. Here are other frustrations:

1. When you want to add a number or email to the address book, you don't have the option to add to an existing contact, so you have to do it manually by copying and pasting.

2. The alarm clock rings 3 times and then that's it. I'd prefer it to ring til the batteries run out or until I get up and tell it to stop.

3. you can't create folders. I know there's software you can buy for this. I wish I didn't have to.

JSanders
04-16-2007, 07:49 AM
Hey Jamie,

1. True, but such is life.
2. I read a posting it seems like last week of someone who wanted a longer Alarm... they downloaded a LONG (like 30 sec or 1 min) ringtone of loud music and used that...
Read this link:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8100-series-discussion/70085-help-who-had-alarm-solution.html

jamieinman
04-16-2007, 08:08 AM
cheers J Sanders

ReeRee
04-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Posted many times (by me, actually). Hit the green button. Click the menu key and select "Options" and then "Smart Dialing". Change the Country Code to +44.

That's great, thanks. If only I had pressed the green button first!! Not sure if this will now sort the disconnecting problems with my Car Kit (Nokia 616) and innoperative contact downloading but I'll give it a go!