Here it is!!

http://www.t-mobileapps.com/downloadcenter/Software_Detail.cfm?ID=83

chazell29
11-18-2006, 12:59 AM
yay!

chazell29
11-18-2006, 01:01 AM
downloading now

EDIT: I can't install the update because I can't install the new Desktop Manager because it says its not the right .exe file :(

ttormamny
11-18-2006, 01:05 AM
i got initialization error. ***

** edited to remove language offensive to other forum members **

John Clark
11-18-2006, 01:10 AM
I want the 2GB card support but not ready to give up the double function left convenience button...someone tell me if that works. On .42 it works in the BB Dimension Zen theme...Since it's .64 I'm guessing it won't have it....:-( :-(

bikedogrun
11-18-2006, 01:22 AM
I want the 2GB card support but not ready to give up the double function left convenience button...someone tell me if that works. On .42 it works in the BB Dimension Zen theme...Since it's .64 I'm guessing it won't have it....:-( :-(Double function left convenience button???

/BD 8-)

chazell29
11-18-2006, 01:27 AM
Double function left convenience button???

/BD 8-)

word

John Clark
11-18-2006, 01:29 AM
Double function left convenience button???

/BD 8-)

Yes...
Go into Screen/Keyboard and set the left side convenience button to something. I set it to options (tools). Now when you hit the button briefly it goes to options. If you hold it down for a second or so it still goes to voice dialing. The right side doesn't do it and never has. It's a feature that so far has only been found in .42 as far as I know. Also, there is no ability to turn off the screen auto dim feature in newer releases. Someone do tell....

bikedogrun
11-18-2006, 01:36 AM
Yes...
Go into Screen/Keyboard and set the left side convenience button to something. I set it to options (tools). Now when you hit the button briefly it goes to options. If you hold it down for a second or so it still goes to voice dialing. The right side doesn't do it and never has. It's a feature that so far has only been found in .42 as far as I know. Also, there is no ability to turn off the screen auto dim feature in newer releases. Someone do tell....Interesting ... I went to 4.2.0.64 when I got my Pearl last week as I knew I had to have the 2GB SD support (works wonderfully, BTW). My left button is (of course) set to the Media Player ... absent an Ipod, the Pearl is my constant companion! (y)

/BD 8-)

John Clark
11-18-2006, 01:46 AM
Interesting ... I went to 4.2.0.64 when I got my Pearl last week as I knew I had to have the 2GB SD support (works wonderfully, BTW). My left button is (of course) set to the Media Player ... absent an Ipod, the Pearl is my constant companion! (y)

/BD 8-)

What theme do you use and if you hold the left button will it go to voice dialing?

I wouldn't give up my pearl for anything!!

Stingray_1969
11-18-2006, 01:59 AM
how do you the left con. key to do 2 functions...
i tried but it wont do it : /

John Clark
11-18-2006, 02:13 AM
It doesn't work with all themes...at least not on mine. It works on the BBDimension Zen. Its been said it only works on 4.2.0.42 software version but since I haven't upgraded I can't verify for myself. Sometimes you have to reboot it after you set the it to get it to work. Some say it's a glitch but I like the glitch! Also I like being able to turn off the auto dim. That's why I haven't upgraded. The only reason I have to upgrade is for the 2GB memory support. I don't want to buy a 1GB.

jibi
11-18-2006, 02:16 AM
P.S. - This version is EXACTLY the size number of files and file sizes as the O2 release. Just for those who thought it was going to be different.

cas27
11-18-2006, 02:23 AM
Downloaded and installed just fine. Took a bit longer than I thought it would, and some of my myFaves icons are gone other than that havn't noticed anything crazy.

John Clark
11-18-2006, 02:23 AM
P.S. - This version is EXACTLY the size number of files and file sizes as the O2 release. Just for those who thought it was going to be different.

That's what I was afraid of...Guess I'll keep waiting. I wonder what happened to .79 or .75. I suppose it probably would have been the same anyway according to one of your previous posts.

PaulQ
11-18-2006, 02:31 AM
Can someone post a version history on this update? I mean all of the fixes and changes in one list?

Or... point me in the direction of such a list?

Or... does it exist?

If it does, maybe start a new thread with it?

Thanks!
:smile:

jibi
11-18-2006, 03:27 AM
That's what I was afraid of...Guess I'll keep waiting. I wonder what happened to .79 or .75. I suppose it probably would have been the same anyway according to one of your previous posts.
They are release/package versions. This one, 4.2.0.64 (app version), is release 4.2.0.75. The next release coming in the next few weeks or so (not from T-Mobile) will be 4.2.0.79 (not sure on the applications version).

NJBlackBerry
11-18-2006, 05:39 AM
You're kidding. OMG - we waited (and commented) on this for SO LONG and now it's the same?

Oh wait, I posted that weeks ago.

NM - now, let the speculation on .79 continue :-)

GMK
11-18-2006, 05:42 AM
Don't forget that the Desktop software from TMO is a new release also per: rmitchell

Mattyaw
11-18-2006, 06:54 AM
will this work for the t-mobile UK version ?

NJBlackBerry
11-18-2006, 07:02 AM
Yes. All versions of the handheld software are written by RIM, tested by and released by the carriers.

You will have to locate and delete VENDOR.XML on your PC C: drive before running Desktop Manager to upgrade the handheld.

mpallo
11-18-2006, 09:28 AM
Sweet timing. Just bought 2 Pearls last night...decided to wait till this am to upgrade the OS before doing too much customizing.

Both the wife and I are running .64 now. So far so good.

jmhijazi
11-18-2006, 10:16 AM
i was wondering does anybody know how to put this tmobile ver of the .64 OS on my phone instead, of the 02 ver of the .64, i know its sound sill, but theres something i wanna check out!

NJBlackBerry
11-18-2006, 10:19 AM
There is ZERO difference between the versions, but if you want to try it, you will have to blow away your BlackBerry - erase all applications and the OS - using Javaloader (or JL_CMDER) and wipe out EVERYTHING on it. I would make a backup first.

They you can load the T-mobile 4.2.0.64 onto your BB, which is exactly the same - bit compatible - with the "O2" version.

krad
11-18-2006, 10:35 AM
I have o2 loaded on my blackberry!!!

I just loaded the new blackberry desktop and handheld software on my computer. I have plugged in my blackberry and it went right away to say there is an update... and wants to update my os...

what is updated in their list.

blackberry 4.2 core and system files
certificate key store
cms library
crypto library 1,2,3
crypto application api library
ecma script
key store browser library
xml library
browser
phone

I am running the update now..... I currently have o2... going to tmobile update... so there must be differences... no wiping of blackberry needed

SCRATCH THAT!!!!! when you hit next.... it shows no upgrade or installation needed!!!! just a damn tease!

krad
11-18-2006, 10:40 AM
There is ZERO difference between the versions, but if you want to try it, you will have to blow away your BlackBerry - erase all applications and the OS - using Javaloader (or JL_CMDER) and wipe out EVERYTHING on it. I would make a backup first.

They you can load the T-mobile 4.2.0.64 onto your BB, which is exactly the same - bit compatible - with the "O2" version.

you could downgrade to the old version or rogers version and then uninstall handheld software on the computer and load the latest version... you would be flashing the pearl twice though... probably and hour to do that.

ibrg
11-18-2006, 10:53 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but from all the guru-pundits here, the upgrade is just about useless and unnecessary, no?

NJBlackBerry
11-18-2006, 10:56 AM
This "guru-pundit" says:

If you have the "O2" version, then there is no need to go to the "T-Mobile" version. If you have "Rogers" or the earlier version (4.2.0.42) then you should upgrade.

Yes Krad - it is a bit of a tease....

ibrg
11-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Thanks guru-pundit-NJBlackBerry. Since I have version 4.2.0.42, you advice me to upgrade. But I also read here that the new upgrade has downsides and quirky behaviors. Go ahead, convince me! :)

GMK
11-18-2006, 11:17 AM
I thought that this was supposed to fix the "my Faves" issue, that the O2 supposedly doesn't?

NJBlackBerry
11-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Thanks guru-pundit-NJBlackBerry. Since I have version 4.2.0.42, you advice me to upgrade. But I also read here that the new upgrade has downsides and quirky behaviors. Go ahead, convince me! :)
Convince you? Not a chance.
It fixes bugs that bothered me, so I upgraded immediately.
I have evidenced no quirky behavior; the downside is that RIM removed the auto dim disable, which was a feature. And I doubt it's coming back.

Sorry - I can't convince you. You have to do that. I stated the facts - it fixes bugs that bothered me.

rwcohen
11-18-2006, 11:22 AM
So, what exactly was updated? I know that the double function of the left convenience key is gone, but is there a definitive list of what functions were changed?

jmhijazi
11-18-2006, 11:25 AM
okay is there anyway just to wipe out my bb and just have it how it came, i guess kind of like a reformat process!

Crazyapple
11-18-2006, 11:41 AM
okay is there anyway just to wipe out my bb and just have it how it came, i guess kind of like a reformat process!

Yes, go into Options, Security, General Settings. Click the menu button and choose wipe handheld.

ibrg
11-18-2006, 11:46 AM
Convince you? Not a chance.
It fixes bugs that bothered me, so I upgraded immediately.
I have evidenced no quirky behavior; the downside is that RIM removed the auto dim disable, which was a feature. And I doubt it's coming back.

Sorry - I can't convince you. You have to do that. I stated the facts - it fixes bugs that bothered me.

Thanks again!
I am reluctant to take the plunge. I guess I will wait for now since I have no burning issues to fix.

kiwitek
11-18-2006, 11:48 AM

Go to OPTIONS/SECURITY OPTIONS/GENERAL SETTINGS/ click menu button and select WIPE HANDHELD

TheBigNewt
11-18-2006, 12:05 PM
Can someone post a version history on this update? I mean all of the fixes and changes in one list?

Or... point me in the direction of such a list?

Or... does it exist?

If it does, maybe start a new thread with it?

Thanks!
:smile:

Ditto that. I don't seem to have any problems/bugs with the .42 version. But a list of Pros and Cons would be nice to see, as well as any new features in the update (if there are any, I haven't seen any mentioned in these threads). Anyone wanna tackle that task?

RDx
11-18-2006, 02:00 PM
I just did the update and the program said it was completed. But my phone just stays in a blank screen with the loading icon. Its been like that for like 10 min already. Is this normal?

kurrupt_1
11-18-2006, 02:02 PM
What is the best way to revert to the original OS after doing the update?

Jumpin_Joe
11-18-2006, 02:22 PM
I upgraded my TMO Pearl and I ended up with a 507 error. After Googling the error, I found out it's not a good idea to do the upgrade on a laptop while docked to a docking station. I had to undock and reload the entire OS. Fortunately it worked and I had good backups

Just my USD 0.02 and YMMV

P.S. I cannot get BB Messenger to install post update. I install it OTA and it shows up in my application list but I cannot find the icon. And, yes, I am "showing all applications". :-)

edit: add P.S.

NJBlackBerry
11-18-2006, 03:21 PM
Go to OPTIONS/SECURITY OPTIONS/GENERAL SETTINGS/ click menu button and select WIPE HANDHELD
Please note that this only wipes out customer data. It does not wipe out any applications or the operating system. It really doesn't put it back to the original "out of box" condition, and it will not remove any IT Policies.

NJBlackBerry
11-18-2006, 03:23 PM
What is the best way to revert to the original OS after doing the update?
Backup your data.

Get a copy of Javaloader or JL_CMDER. Completely wipe out the BlackBerry.
Remove the Handheld OS from your PC and re-install 4.2.0.42 (note I didn't ask WHY you wanted to go back to a buggier OS).

Remove VENDOR.XML from your C: drive

Start Desktop Manager; the OS should reload now.

Restore your data.

kurrupt_1
11-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

dialekt
11-18-2006, 05:30 PM
Backup your data.

Get a copy of Javaloader or JL_CMDER. Completely wipe out the BlackBerry.
Remove the Handheld OS from your PC and re-install 4.2.0.42 (note I didn't ask WHY you wanted to go back to a buggier OS).

Remove VENDOR.XML from your C: drive

Start Desktop Manager; the OS should reload now.

Restore your data.

Is this required when upgrading out of box?. I've become accustomed to "forcing" the upgrade the old way. Deleting vendor.xml, installing the newer os on pc, and using one of jibi's specified .alx packages. (this was for the 8700g/bharti method). All of this done without doing a complete wipe.

bryanus
11-18-2006, 05:43 PM
How can I install an OS update if I'm on a Mac running OS X? There is no BB Desktop Mgr for the Mac that I'm aware of.

Edit: Just saw the thread a couple posts down. Guess I'm SOL...

Necrosan
11-18-2006, 05:45 PM
You don't. Use virtualPC if you have a powerpc mac, or bootcamp if you got an intel one. Sucks, but it's the sad state of reality for us Mac users.

562pearl
11-18-2006, 07:00 PM
everytime i try to download the desktop and handheld upgrade it tells me that microsoft rejected the file cause the downloaded file didnt have some sort of a signature ?????

anyway around this ???

dc/dc
11-18-2006, 07:01 PM
Sweet!

I've been using that version for a month!

kurrupt_1
11-18-2006, 07:08 PM
everytime i try to download the desktop and handheld upgrade it tells me that microsoft rejected the file cause the downloaded file didnt have some sort of a signature ?????

anyway around this ???

I didn't have a single problem with the dl of both or the install for that fact.

TheBigNewt
11-18-2006, 07:44 PM
Problem: Installed the new Desktop and the new software. About halfway through the install the Pearl screen lights up with a circle with a line through it and 507 at the bottom. The install stopped, the Pearl disconnected from the Desktop, and it's frozen like that. What do I do?

kurrupt_1
11-18-2006, 07:46 PM
I got the same 502 error but it loaded just fine.

GMK
11-18-2006, 08:02 PM
Problem: Installed the new Desktop and the new software. About halfway through the install the Pearl screen lights up with a circle with a line through it and 507 at the bottom. The install stopped, the Pearl disconnected from the Desktop, and it's frozen like that. What do I do?

It happened to me, read the instructions posted by sanfrancisco in this thread:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8100-series-discussion/53140-just-how-bad-am-i-screwed.html?highlight=507

John Clark
11-18-2006, 10:09 PM
Is this required when upgrading out of box?. I've become accustomed to "forcing" the upgrade the old way. Deleting vendor.xml, installing the newer os on pc, and using one of jibi's specified .alx packages. (this was for the 8700g/bharti method). All of this done without doing a complete wipe.

Dialekt
No, this is just for downgrading...not upgrading.

nberb
11-18-2006, 10:49 PM
So what do we need to do to uprade to this OS with a Mac?

steve2112
11-19-2006, 12:19 AM
Ok, a little while after I bought my Pearl, I installed the Rogers version to fix that "feature" of stopping the ringer when you move the trackball.

If I install this TMO version, what other features are there compared to that Rogers version?

Thanks

NJBlackBerry
11-19-2006, 12:27 AM
So what do we need to do to uprade to this OS with a Mac?
You either need a PC, or running Parallels (I think that's what it is called) to run Desktop Manager. For more information, check out the Mac Users Corner.