PDA

View Full Version : 8703e with AIM

tomdlgns
11-18-2006, 03:02 PM
hey guys.

i am new to the site and so far, so good. i have done a search for a few things i was curious/interested about and it looks like there is some good advice.

however, one thing i am having a tough time with is AIM.

i found this info on the aim site...

AOL: Blackberry: BlackBerry 8703e: IM+: MSN/Yahoo!/ICQ/AOL/ Jabber/Google Talk Instant Messenger for BlackBerry RIM devices by SHAPE Services GmbH for BlackBerry 8703e (http://www.handango.com/aol/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=721&osId=950&jid=1BE6BDAFBD25A9X5X9A2E245CA8DA978&platformId=5&productId=130651&productType=2)

however, i dont know if i want to spend 50 dollars on this software. i wish there was a free tiral period or something.

has anyone had any experience with AIM on their 8703e? does AIM work properly on the 8703e?

TIA

tomdlgns
11-18-2006, 03:18 PM
i will post link soon

jimmymac_nyc
11-18-2006, 03:20 PM
i use gtalk on my 8703 but i'm pretty sure if you do a search on here there are ways you can configure gtalk to work with AIM and gTalk is free.

tomdlgns
11-18-2006, 03:23 PM
i would rather just have aim if at all possible. i guess i could try gtalk, but sometimes using programs like that just dont work as great as the real thing.

the 50 dollars is not the problem.

pspiegel
11-18-2006, 04:18 PM
gtalk will work with aim.. you can also try ramble messenger which is AIM but free, yak-on which is a one time fee of something around 20 dollars, and there is verichat that costs a yearly fee.. do a search though there are a TON of threads on this

my personal favorite is yak-on though, never had a major problem with it

tomdlgns
11-18-2006, 04:51 PM
gtalk will work with aim.. you can also try ramble messenger which is AIM but free, yak-on which is a one time fee of something around 20 dollars, and there is verichat that costs a yearly fee.. do a search though there are a TON of threads on this

my personal favorite is yak-on though, never had a major problem with it

thanks for the info guys.

i will do some more searching, it just seems that its the same answers. it works, but not good, etc.

i am mainly looking for someone that has purchased the same package i am looking to buy.

as of now i want to work on getting aim.

thanks

robbym
11-19-2006, 12:46 AM
Check out my list of portals at the link below. I know there are a few that offer AOL services.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/54184-your-favorite-mobile-sites.html

pspiegel
11-19-2006, 03:44 AM
thanks for the info guys.

i will do some more searching, it just seems that its the same answers. it works, but not good, etc.

i am mainly looking for someone that has purchased the same package i am looking to buy.

as of now i want to work on getting aim.

thanks

IM+ is a good program, try the free trial first to see if it meets your needs, personally I prefer yak-on to IM+ and in my opinion it works very very well. try their free trial too (both do AIM)

tomdlgns
11-19-2006, 08:08 AM
IM+ is a good program, try the free trial first to see if it meets your needs, personally I prefer yak-on to IM+ and in my opinion it works very very well. try their free trial too (both do AIM)

Thanks for the info. I will have to try this when I get home.

tomdlgns
11-19-2006, 11:43 PM
i downloaded im+ to my phone. i like it, so far, the buddy list shows up, you can edit the list to look like the real aim list, or show all of your contacts as once, even if they are online.

the only problem i have...

i signed on my phone with 1 name and on my pc with another. if i send an im from my pc to the phone, i dont get it unless i send a message from the phone to the computer, then i get all the messages between the 2 names. does that make sense?

basically, if someone ims me, i wont know it unless i send them an im first, then i see everything they sent me...weird.

tomdlgns
11-19-2006, 11:53 PM
Check out my list of portals at the link below. I know there are a few that offer AOL services.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/54184-your-favorite-mobile-sites.html

i checked out the two portals that were AOL. both were dead links.

unless they are another name, i tried looking for IM, AIM, and instant and the only ones that i thought might were were the two AOL links.

thanks so far guys...!!!! :)

tomdlgns
11-20-2006, 12:04 AM

i just installed yak on, seems perfect, just what i need. is this a free program? also, what are the cons to this program? i like that i can email myself the chat history, if needed.

thanks guys.

allday
11-20-2006, 03:38 PM
if u just want aim get ramble i use for my phone verizon and i dont have many problems. I'm in the NYC area

pspiegel
11-20-2006, 05:19 PM
i just installed yak on, seems perfect, just what i need. is this a free program? also, what are the cons to this program? i like that i can email myself the chat history, if needed.

thanks guys.

not free, its like 20 bucks, its a one time fee though so you don't get hit yearly... no cons that i have found, great service, also supports signing on at multiple locations and has great support, and it works..

tomdlgns
11-29-2006, 11:42 AM
so i have been using yak-on since i started this thread. does anyone know how long its supposed to work for before i have to pay?

Fafafoooey
11-30-2006, 11:52 AM
What about Ramble? I use this and works great for AIM, and it is free.

apple85
11-30-2006, 12:25 PM
K heres my 2 cents... Yak-On is awesome, Ramble is good for being free. I'm not going to Hijack this thread but I pose this question. CDMA does not use TCP and GSM does. It seems as if using TCP on GSM creates a more stable usage regardless of which program I use on my Verizon 8703e? Any ideas?
PS Go with yak-on it's only 20 bucks and will always connect (atleast for me) contrary to ramble which like to give string issues etc!

apple85
11-30-2006, 12:26 PM
Edit
Sorry computer froze and hit submit 2x's!

tbdiscovery
11-30-2006, 03:35 PM
I have tried Ramble and yak-on with no luck. The only IM that I can get to work is Yahoo Messenger. I guess I will try IM+, but I'm losing confidence. I've been replying to AIM text messages, but do not have a buddy list that works as of yet.

Fafafoooey
12-01-2006, 06:57 AM
Did you setup your TCP. There is an IM thread with instructions how to do it. Ramble works if you set up the TCP and then set Ramble to use Device TCP.

tbdiscovery
12-01-2006, 08:38 AM
Thanks. I read that I can't change them with the Sprint 8703e. I'll check again.

pspiegel
12-01-2006, 02:28 PM
cant change them with verizon or sprint.. its automatically set..

tomdlgns
12-01-2006, 02:30 PM
I have tried Ramble and yak-on with no luck. The only IM that I can get to work is Yahoo Messenger. I guess I will try IM+, but I'm losing confidence. I've been replying to AIM text messages, but do not have a buddy list that works as of yet.

i have sprint, with yak-on and it works perfect. the only thing i had to do was select aim and make sure the name and password was correct.

where are you running into problems?

tbdiscovery
12-01-2006, 02:41 PM
I have it set with the user and pw, then hit connect. Sometimes it goes to the next screen, but nothing physically happens. I see the screen that shows:
New Messages

But, I cannot seem to do anything from there.

Or, I get this: "could not get license pack from Server, connection error: Failed to transmit"

tomdlgns
12-01-2006, 02:44 PM
I have it set with the user and pw, then hit connect. Sometimes it goes to the next screen, but nothing physically happens. I see the screen that shows:
New Messages

But, I cannot seem to do anything from there.

Or, I get this: "could not get license pack from Server, connection error: Failed to transmit"

mine only seems to work when my display shows IXEV do u have the data package?

i have unlimited data through sprint.

tbdiscovery
12-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Yes, unlimited data and text messaging. Most applications work for me, but none of the IMs except for Yahoo. I want to try IM+, but with that price it is very risky.

tomdlgns
12-01-2006, 02:50 PM
Yes, unlimited data and text messaging. Most applications work for me, but none of the IMs except for Yahoo. I want to try IM+, but with that price it is very risky.

thats strange...

mine connects no prob.

can u surf the web if u click on the globe?

im+ sucks. i have it, u can get a trial. actually, i just have the trial and i just dont like how the program works. yak-on is much better i think.

tomdlgns
12-01-2006, 02:56 PM
not sure if this has anything to do with it, becuase i didnt notice it from day one, but above my signal bar, there is a circle, looks like a target, with 3 ))) after it. does anyone know what that is?

again, i am not sure if that was there before my phone got provisioned for a data package.

tbdiscovery
12-01-2006, 03:26 PM
I definitely have a data plan, and I also have the little icon that you are talking about.

When you log in to yak-on, what do you see? Is it a buddy list?

tomdlgns
12-01-2006, 03:32 PM
When I connect I see my buddies that are online and I can click to talk with them. Very simple.

tbdiscovery
12-01-2006, 03:42 PM
I have the basic screen, but no buddies are listed. Odd. I'll keep trying.

Did ramble work for you?

tomdlgns
12-01-2006, 04:03 PM
I didn't try ramble yak on is very good

tomdlgns
12-01-2006, 04:21 PM
here are the steps for when i connect.

i highlight yak on, click the wheel
i see new messages, online, offline, i click again, then i see this
sign on
sign off icq
sign off aim
sign off msn.....
etc...more options

i highlight sign on then click
i see another screen with select a service for sign on.......to the far upper right is ALL. , user name, pass, default accounts, AIM: my screen name is here
MSN, blank
ICQ, blank, etc

in the upper right where i see all, i highlight that and click the wheel. then i click connect. once i do that, i see the upload and download blue arrows in the upper right hand corner, and it signs on.

are you seeing these same screens?

btw, i auto inputed my screen name and password the first time i set this up.

tbdiscovery
12-02-2006, 05:51 PM
Thank you very much. Every single thing is the same for me. I just do not get the buddy list after connecting. I see the arrows and all. I'm also signed on to a friend's aim account on the desktop, and I can see that my screen name is not signing on. I still get the same error connecting message too. I even tried turning off the aim mobile forwarding, but still no luck.