PDA

View Full Version : GPRS data connection

layoub
11-19-2006, 08:33 PM
I just bought a BB Pear and can't figure out how to get the GPRS running. T-Mobile says I need a data plan, but I don't believe it. I also have a MDA with T-Mobile and I get data all day long for free. Its not through WiFi but GPRS. If the Pearl is a GPRS then shouldn't I be able to connect for free? I know the faster Edge connection costs $$.

Louis

mrpg
11-19-2006, 08:37 PM
What are you trying to do?

dc/dc
11-19-2006, 08:42 PM
You ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY MUST have a BlackBerry specific data plan in order to use any data services. If you choose not to, you will only be able to use phone and SMS services.

There is no cost difference for GPRS vs. EDGE.

I don't understand why people keep posting this question. It gets asked and answered at least once a week.

layoub
11-19-2006, 08:46 PM
Why do I need a data plan for the Pearl, but not the MDA? they are both T-Moble.

NJBlackBerry
11-19-2006, 08:47 PM
Because the BlackBerry is a BlackBerry and not an MDA.

No BlackBerry Data Plan means NO DATA AT ALL on the Pearl.

No way around it.

dc/dc
11-19-2006, 08:50 PM
Because the BlackBerry is a BlackBerry and not an MDA.

No BlackBerry Data Plan means NO DATA AT ALL on the Pearl.

No way around it.

Bingo.

layoub
11-19-2006, 08:53 PM
I believe you. Can you tell me the difference? Do they connect in a different way? Is GPRS on one phone different from the other?

Thanks for the info!!

NJBlackBerry
11-19-2006, 08:55 PM
It's not GPRS - it is the RIM infrastructure. To use any data at all - anything besides voice and SMS - your BB must log in to the RIM infrastructure. nd if you don't have a BlackBerry Data Plan....

T-Zones doesn't matter. T-Mobile Internet doesn't matter. You must have a BlackBerry Data Plan. And there is no way around it.

layoub
11-19-2006, 09:02 PM
I am starting to understand. When you say RIM infrastructure are you talking about the phone or the company? Does the BB go through RIMs network and not through T-Mobiles? I take it the the MDA goes throug the TM network and it supports open GPRS which carries data? Am I understanding you now?

NJBlackBerry
11-19-2006, 09:04 PM
It uses both T-Mobiles and RIMs infrastructures. But you need to have BOTH to use any data on a BlackBerry.

dc/dc
11-19-2006, 09:04 PM
*EDIT* - beaten to the punch.

layoub
11-19-2006, 09:11 PM
Thanks again. I appreciate all the info!!

So when I sign up for a data plan with TM they create the link between the RIM network and themselves? Without authentication from RIM network the BB is unable to send or receive data, correct?

layoub
11-19-2006, 09:20 PM
Correct?

MythmbHurts
11-19-2006, 09:25 PM
YES no data plan NO data period it was stated many time above by someone that knows LOTS about BB's. T-mobiles data plan is cheap $20.oo for unlimited data i think its the cheapest out there so you might as well use the BB like it was ment to used! for email and internet.. But you have to have a data plan period

layoub
11-19-2006, 09:36 PM
We are past the question about the plan. I KNOW I HAVE TO HAVE ONE NOW! I am now asking about how it works. As mentioned I don't pay for data on my MDA. I would like to be educated on how RIM interacts with TM to make data flow.

So was my previous post correct?

Louis

jeffmcclan
11-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Google or the Forum search is a great way to learn about how the BB infastructure works.

layoub
11-20-2006, 08:54 AM
Can someone just confirm my question from above? Please.

layoub
11-20-2006, 08:55 AM
Thanks again. I appreciate all the info!!

So when I sign up for a data plan with TM they create the link between the RIM network and themselves? Without authentication from RIM network the BB is unable to send or receive data, correct?

Please confirm I am on the right path here.

Szadzik
11-20-2006, 12:03 PM
Please confirm I am on the right path here.

Confirmed.

mrpg
11-20-2006, 01:16 PM
lol, aw man layoub you asked the same think like 4 times :)

j/k...

dc/dc
11-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Layoub, I can confirm that you need to use the search button and quit being so pushy.

flar
11-21-2006, 03:39 AM
We are past the question about the plan. I KNOW I HAVE TO HAVE ONE NOW! I am now asking about how it works. As mentioned I don't pay for data on my MDA. I would like to be educated on how RIM interacts with TM to make data flow.

So was my previous post correct?

Louis
T-Mobile has a fairly long history of accidentally giving people data access that their policies say they shouldn't have. Some of this may be simply due to accidents and some of it may be due to the fact that their policies have been tightening up over time.

At one point you could get full web access with only a t-zones plan, but they then tightened down on that so that only non-PDA regular phones could access port 80 without a full data plan and then I believe that they later moved to a policy that no phone could get port 80 access without the full data plan. In among that were also some changes in policy about tethering as well. But, all throughout the enforcement was spotty so many customers had access to data that they shouldn't have had according to the specs on their plan and services.

I think you've been lucky so far (and if your MDA can still access the data now that you've upgraded the hardware then you are still lucky), but that could go away at any time if they examine your account or do some routine maintenance on your line and reset your settings back to what your account says it should have. In particular, if you call and add the blackberry add-on plan they may "fix" whatever was allowing your MDA to access data at the same time. On the other hand, you should have had to pay for data all along so this is only fair in the big picture.