PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Software for Vista?

craigw9292
11-20-2006, 02:51 PM
Does anyone know when this is coming out?

My 4.1 version works as far as setting up the BT etc but the actual desktop files and shortcuts just don't install ....

This is VISTA RTM.

thanks
-c

jibi
11-20-2006, 02:54 PM
The latest 4.2 version(s) work just fine on Vista RTM, I believe.

craigw9292
11-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Thanks - is that a generally available version, it seems each model/provider like Verizon has their own idea of whats the latest. I think its still 4.1 with VZ.

-c

craigw9292
11-20-2006, 04:48 PM
4.2 does _not_ work with Vista, it opened up first time but now just shuts down.

JerryD
11-21-2006, 06:41 AM
4.2 does _not_ work with Vista, it opened up first time but now just shuts down.
Desktop Manager 4.2 has been working fine for me on Vista RC2 and later. However, I finally got sick of that DUMB, STUPID EXCUSE FOR SECURITY called UAC (User Access Control), which fixed the problem that DM couldn't find my Outlook 2007 profile!

If you have UAC enabled and don't need Outlook integration (BES), just remember to run the installation by right clicking the installation package and selecting "Run as Administrator". Yes, you need to do this even if you're logged in as Administrator (although that account is disabled by default) or a user in the Administrators group. Otherwise, you will run into a lot of problems!

One other thing. UAC makes programs behave strangely. I installed FileZilla without any problems, but when I ran it without selecting "Run as Administrator", the config file (FileZilla.xml) was under Users, but when I did use "Run as Administrator", the config files were in the program's directory (C:\Program Files\FileZilla). If you know about this ahead of time, you can adjust as needed, but if you don't it can lead to a lot of confusion!

EricRouse
11-22-2006, 09:26 AM
Mine does not work. I'm using the 64 bit release version. The Desktop Manager installs fine but it is not able to see my Pearl when I attach the USB cable. Also the Pearl reports that there is not enough power to charge the unit while it is connected.

I just upgraded to the latest software version out on the TMobile site as well and no luck.