PDA

View Full Version : Help With 7100g Setup

Knocka
03-28-2005, 09:26 PM
I just got the 7100g from Cingular having made the decision to dump the bug-infested Treo 650 after three replacements (what a nightmare). I have never used a Blackberry and need some help. Please pardon what may be a long post. First, here is what I have accomplished:

(1) I am using Mailstreet's hosted Exchnage Server and activated the Blackberry Enterprise Server 4.0.
(2) I went to www.cingular.com/blackberry and put in my PIN and IMEI number. I then provided a User ID and password. It appears that Cingular has now given me a new email address for use ont he Blackberry. I do not want it, and do not plan on using it. I think it was a mistake to set it up, since I just want to synch with my mailbox on Mailstreet. I am not sure this matters, but I do not want a lot of junk from this address.
(3) I selected Enterprise Activation on the BB and put in my email address and the password that Mailstreet gave me. It said "Activating..." That remained for a while, and then I got a list of various services that were initializing and then activating and then said Complete.
(4) When the Activation was complete, I had all my contacts and calendar info, and my email.

Now for the issues I would appreciate help with:

(1) When I select messages on the BB, it shows me far more messages than are in my Inbox. I cannot even figure out what these are, but I think they are also Sent Items, and maybe Deleted Items. This seems an odd behavior. I want my Inbox to appear by default, not all messages in my Inbox and Sent Items, and whatever else is showing up there. I can click the Track Wheel and View Folder, Inbox, but that is a lot of steps.

(2) The messages are not in the same order as they are when viewed in Outlook. I would think that the timestamp would have transferred, but it did not for all items. As a result, they appear "out of order" on the BB. Many of the messages have a time of approximately when I Activated, but others have the correct time. Any clue why?

(3) Messages that I sent to myself do not appear show up on the BB. I suspect this is related to the Shift-Delete issue, but am unsure why.

(4) I often Shift-Delete in Outlook. I did a search of the forum and found out that there is what I consider a bug in that items that are shift-deleted do not get deleted on the BB. Is there any cure for this other than not using shift-delete?

(5) Many of the messages on the BB are marked with a check. Are these Sent Items.

(6) If I delete an item on the BB, should it automatically delete on the Exchange Server, or so I have to do a Reconcile Now. I cannot really figure out why Reconcile Now is even an option since I thought the BB was basically always sending and receiving. What is Reconcile Now for?

(7) Is there any reason to install the Desktop Manager? I was told by a Mailstret Tech Support person that I should still install it as it will give options that are not itherwise available.

(8) How can I synch subfolders under my Inbox? And, related to this, when I drag an item to a Subfolder under the Inbox, will it synch automatically, or will I have to do a Reconcile Now?

Sorry for the long post. I feel like a bit of an idiot because I would bet that these are mosty very elementary questions.

Chris

bossfan
03-28-2005, 10:09 PM
(1) When I select messages on the BB, it shows me far more messages than are in my Inbox. I cannot even figure out what these are, but I think they are also Sent Items, and maybe Deleted Items. This seems an odd behavior. I want my Inbox to appear by default, not all messages in my Inbox and Sent Items, and whatever else is showing up there. I can click the Track Wheel and View Folder, Inbox, but that is a lot of steps.

I'm also confused about this. On my "Messages" screen, I have everything that I've received since activating and everything that I have sent from my BB. I didn't want to delete them from the BB since I wanted the received ones put in my Outlook saved folder and my sent ones put in my Outlook Sent folder. I moved some of them to the Saved folder on the BB, and they appeared there, but also stayed on the Messages screen. I then deleted them from the Messages screen, and found they were deleted in Outlook. SImilarly, I deleted the sent messages (showing a checkmark) from my Messages screen, and, even though they showed up in my Sent folder on the BB, when I checked on Outlook, those messages were in the Deleted folder and not the Sent folder. I'm sure that this is elementary, but I sure can't figure it out .

NJBlackBerry
03-28-2005, 10:17 PM
I'll take a shot at this lengthy list...

It's not an Inbox. It is called the Messages Folder, and that's exactly what it is. It shows your incoming messages, your outgoing (sent messages), missed phone calls, SMS/text messages. Basically everything.

(2) The messages are not in the same order as they are when viewed in Outlook. I would think that the timestamp would have transferred, but it did not for all items. As a result, they appear "out of order" on the BB. Many of the messages have a time of approximately when I Activated, but others have the correct time. Any clue why?

Not sure what this is about. If you ARE using the BlackBerry Web Client (I know you said you don't want to) the messages are polled every 15 minutes from the POP3 accounts, so the time stamps may be messed up. From the BES side, the messages should line up. Not sure about what this is.

(3) Messages that I sent to myself do not appear show up on the BB. I suspect this is related to the Shift-Delete issue, but am unsure why.

How are you sending them to yourself? This should work.

(4) I often Shift-Delete in Outlook. I did a search of the forum and found out that there is what I consider a bug in that items that are shift-deleted do not get deleted on the BB. Is there any cure for this other than not using shift-delete?

Have you verified how e-mail reconciliation is set up. Wireless e-mail reconciliation must be enabled on the BES for this to work. Check and see.

(5) Many of the messages on the BB are marked with a check. Are these Sent Items.

Yes. Remember (message 1) that this is the Messages folder - not the Inbox (on the BB)

(6) If I delete an item on the BB, should it automatically delete on the Exchange Server, or so I have to do a Reconcile Now. I cannot really figure out why Reconcile Now is even an option since I thought the BB was basically always sending and receiving. What is Reconcile Now for?

You can force a reconciliation - it is not instantaneous; it can take up to, I think, 20 minutes for the reconciliation to occur. Reconcile now does it, well, now.

(7) Is there any reason to install the Desktop Manager? I was told by a Mailstret Tech Support person that I should still install it as it will give options that are not itherwise available.

If you want to load applications that are not available Over The Air (OTA), you need Desktop Manager. In a pure 4.0 environment, if you do not ever want to load applications, you don't need it.

(8) How can I synch subfolders under my Inbox? And, related to this, when I drag an item to a Subfolder under the Inbox, will it synch automatically, or will I have to do a Reconcile Now?

Can't help with this one; maybe others know.

bigdongers
03-28-2005, 11:29 PM

I don't know if you can set up folder sychronisation on the device itself but the option is definitely there if you install the desktop manager software. Its under intellisync, email configuration, select which personal folder you wish to reconcile. I believe this will sync automatically every 15 mins or so. If you want to force it, you will have to do a reconcile now.

whodey1991
04-04-2005, 05:56 PM
I also just got a 7100g, and have 2 issues:

1) on my 7290 I could hit Alt+o and view outgoing (this allowed me to delete prior sent messages from the handheld, but they stayed on the server). Alt + I still works, but does anyone know what replaced Alt+o on the 7100?

2) I seem to be able to view my server folders fine when I am just at the message list, but when I open a message and then try to file it, I can only view webclient folders, not those on my outlook server?

Any suggestions?