PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have this problem with an 8700g?

VickyPaz
11-21-2006, 09:45 AM
I bought an 8700g in July and in September had to do a warranty exchange because one of the keys was starting to go dead. The same thing is happening on my exchange phone on a different key. TM is exchanging the phone but I had to fight them to get free shipping since I don't feel I am causing this problem.

This will be the third 8700 I have had since July! I can't imagine what I am doing wrong by causing a key to go dead...any ideas? If I have this problem one more time, and I have to make a third exchange, then they will probably send me a completely different Blackberry...but I like the one I have.

Any way to prevent keys going dead?

LunkHead
11-22-2006, 05:07 PM
BB's, like anything electronic, things can and will go bad... I got my 8700 day one it was released and I just had to exchange it bacause the track wheel died...

Are you punching the keys hard when typing? Other than that I can't really help you... Without knowing your typing habbits, ect, it would just all be speculation... BUT as I said, it is an electronic device and things do go kaput :)

VickyPaz
11-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Hey lunkhead,

Thanks for the input. I think I type pretty normal but then if this is the second time a key is going bad for me, who knows? I should be getting my replacement tomorrow so I'll give it a go and see what happens. I do type a lot on my BB, but aren't I supposed to? :-)

LunkHead
11-27-2006, 01:23 PM
No problem... I have had my 8700 since release day and other than a track wheel issue, it's been rock solid... No issues here with the keys.. I hope the new one solves your issue :)

Miata GT
11-27-2006, 01:31 PM
Have had mine quite a while and no key issues either...

Fireproof
11-27-2006, 02:09 PM
I got mine the day it was released and haven't had a single thing wrong with it.

Weird that you had problems with two in a row.

Brett
11-27-2006, 02:50 PM
I have had my 8700g for a little over a month and have had no issues :)

crgarza361
11-28-2006, 12:55 AM
tmobile 8700g have hotmail plus can i foward to bb email?

legendkiller
11-28-2006, 05:06 PM
I've heard of this issue happening because of condensation. Possible?

ladydi
02-13-2007, 12:35 PM
I bought ten 8700g BB's for my company and today I have had my second bad one. The first had an "e" key that didn't work right out of the box. This second one worked when I gave it to the user on Friday, but now the a,f,j and k keys don't work at all. Does anyone have knowledge of the innerworkings? I would like to know what causes this and if there are any instructions I should be giving my users on how to not abuse the BB. I've never had a bit of trouble with mine...

mvincelli
02-19-2007, 07:44 PM
I have had two 8700G's, first one the day it came out, replaced it when it became water damaged in December, the replacement and the first one did not have any key problems and I have fat thumbs and press pretty hard. So I hope your replacement does not start up with the same problem.

virusboy286
02-21-2007, 06:06 PM
I've dropped my Bb several times and have had it for almost three months. Yet, I have had no issue with the 8700g. Just with tsupport by tmo.

VickyPaz
02-22-2007, 01:06 PM
I bought ten 8700g BB's for my company and today I have had my second bad one. The first had an "e" key that didn't work right out of the box. This second one worked when I gave it to the user on Friday, but now the a,f,j and k keys don't work at all. Does anyone have knowledge of the innerworkings? I would like to know what causes this and if there are any instructions I should be giving my users on how to not abuse the BB. I've never had a bit of trouble with mine...

Ladydi - I'm on my 4th BB all have had the same problems with a key (different key each time) that starts to go dead. TM is no help, they just want to replace the BB. This is great of course but what about when the warranty is done.

Anyway, the last TM rep told me that when I got this 4th BB not to do a backup from my previous BB software. Put everything in from scratch. Even contacts (cause in my case I don't sync my contacts). She said there could have been a glitch in the previous, backedup software, so this would eliminate that.

Anyway, so far no problems but it usually takes like two months for it to start happening. That's my only thought. Perhaps the few that are having is caused by a software glitch or of course it could be a hardware problem too. TM and Rim says it's not a 'known' problem meaning they don't get tons of complaints but obviously it does happen.

Good luck

flash24
02-24-2007, 04:37 PM
I never had any problem with mine.