PDA

View Full Version : GMAIL issues w/Verizon

southbayyouth
11-21-2006, 08:00 PM
I just got a blackberry 8703e yesterday, and I'm having a few issues:

#1 Gmail w/Verizon. Every email i receive goes into the "email" box as well as the SMS box. Also, every email i send - a copy goes to the SMS box.
I saw this issue addressed in the forum for cingular, but is there a solution with Verizon b/c i can't figure it out for the life of me.

#4 I loaded the sync software that came with the blackberry, but what exactly does that do? I thought it was going to have a calendar, address book etc as part of the software that i could work with and then sync it up with the blackberry. However, it does not have that. Is there a good piece of free software (not outlook) that works specifically for this?

EDIT
THANKS!!!!!

Sorry for the zillion questions, i'm completely overwhelmed with trying to get this thing to function correctly and the directions are much help, nor are the workers at the verizon store. :(

Hanwei
11-21-2006, 10:56 PM
Hello there.

I'll say it before anyone else does... but you should really do a search... virtually all of your questions have already been answered in previous threads.

But don't take offense to that... I meant none. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you've already searched.

#1. All Gmail emails sent out using your BB will be "received" as a new email on your BB. Weird...annoying...I know. For some reason this is just how it is. It has to do with how Gmail treats newly sent emails... and for some reason our BB's see it as a new email... and decide to show it to you as a new email.

The fix is this: Go into your BIS settings and add a filter to each of your gmail accounts. Choose the: "filter emails from:" and then input your gmail email address. This way... whenever you send out a gmail from your BB, it will filter out the "new" sent email on the BIS end and will not show up on your BB anymore. Don't worry, Gmail will still retain a copy of course.

#2. Well... the "Messages" folder isn't just for SMS's. It's for ALL messages... emails, SMS, MMS, Missed Calls, Voicemail alerts, etc. There is no inbox JUST for SMS. So... with that being said... no, your emails are not being counted as SMS's.

I don't know how to delete one of your gmail accounts on your BB since I've never had to yet...however I know that whatever changes you make on the BIS side, auto syncs with your BB instantly. ie:... maybe try deleting the gmail account by signing into your BIS online and deleting it there... this will most likely wipe your BB clean of your account and "desktop" icon on your BB.

#3. I hear Opera Mini is great. Again, doing a search, or just clicking on the "Aftermarket Software" forum will do wonders for you :)

#4. Um... the Blackberry sync software allows you to sync your BB with your computer... that's it. more specifically, it allows you to sync your BB with whatever PIM software you use on your computer... Outlook or whatever. YOU have to supply your own PIM software. I wouldn't expect much more from it. To find some free software... again... take a gander in the "Aftermarket Software" forum.....

#5. Um... I tried it... I'm in the address book, clicked on "new group"... clicked on "Add Member"... clicked on someone in my address book... clicked on "continue"... voila.... member was added to the new group. I repeated the same sequence again with the same result. Added to the new group. Sounds like you were doing fine... you just needed to click the last step: after selecting a member, click "continue".

#6... holy crap man... click on the "Aftermarket Software" forum. EVERYTHING is there.

Hope this helps. And don't take my attitude personally... i've had a rough day but still feel like helping out.

Hanwei

southbayyouth
11-22-2006, 02:53 AM
Hanwei

Thanks for all the info.

I actually did search for the gmail problem. I still can't find this filter option.

I log into my BIS. Once logged in, both of my gmail accts are listed there. No where on the screen does it say 'filter', when i click on the gmail acct. there is not a 'filter' option either. I click on settings and there is not 'filter' button either.

whsbuss
11-22-2006, 08:12 AM
Hanwei

Thanks for all the info.

I actually did search for the gmail problem. I still can't find this filter option.

I log into my BIS. Once logged in, both of my gmail accts are listed there. No where on the screen does it say 'filter', when i click on the gmail acct. there is not a 'filter' option either. I click on settings and there is not 'filter' button either.

Look on the far right of the screen. There should be 3 icons for each account - Edit, Filter, Delete. Click the Filter icon.

southbayyouth
11-22-2006, 12:18 PM
Here's exactly what it says:

Services
E-mail Accounts

Settings
Change Handheld
Language
Password
Service Books

Help
Logout

If i click on E-mail Accounts It looks like

myemail@<hidden>
myemail@<hidden>

Add an e-mail. acct.

Create a Blackberry e-mail address

Services and Settings
Help
Logout.

if i click on
myemail@<hidden>
I get three options
edit (this does not give me 'filter' as an option.)
delete
cancel

I've tried clicking pretty much every single link listed above and took each link as far as it would go, and never came across a 'filter'.

Thanks for your continued help.

MainStream
11-22-2006, 01:27 PM
Assuming you are on BIS 2.0 and it sounds like you are, directly to the right of your e-mail address names you should see three icons. The icon fields are; edit, filter and delete. Click on the filter icon and then you can add the information.

southbayyouth
11-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Those three options are not there.
If i click on the email address i get 3 options.
edit
delete
cancel

No filter option. How do i find which BIS version i'm using?

jimmymac_nyc
11-22-2006, 02:45 PM
southbay, you have to add the filter from your computer at https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw, not from your BB.

go there and sign in with your BIS email username and password and follow the instructions here for creating the gmail filter to stop sent mail from showing up as new mail in your inbox.

John Clark
11-22-2006, 02:58 PM
There is a sticky (a thread that stays at the top of the list all the time) by Pizzle (a BBF Moderator) in the General Blackberry Discussion on this exact topic. It has been asked and answered so many times he finally made a sticky devoted to this very topic.

Here it is:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/54675-how-prevent-g-mail-sent-items-being-sent-your-handheld.html

southbayyouth
11-22-2006, 03:17 PM
THANK YOU!!!!!! jimmymac_NYC

John Clark I read that post before posting this one and several others on this topic. When I read that post regarding this topic, it says "cingular" in the step by step images. I use verizon and when i was looking at the blackberry, the appearance layout and options were not the same, so I assumed the verizon was different.

The problem I was having was that I was going to "Email Settings" icon on my BLACKBERRY not to the blackberry website on my DESKTOP computer and so there was no filter option showing on my blackberry. (I didn't realize you could do settings through the blackberry site via the desktop).

So thanks to everyone who walked me through that! Very helpful.