PDA

View Full Version : OS 4.2 - Beta Downloads

jibi
11-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Please do not post anymore links to the OS 4.2 beta software that has been floating around for the last 2-3 months. It should be final here shortly, without all of the bugs that currently riddle the version floating around. Thanks.

jungleland
11-23-2006, 11:05 AM
If people are posting the 4.2 beta, shouldn't be up to others to decide whether or not they want to try it? Am I to assume that the board is taking down those links? Why? it's a beta, it's meant for testing, and implicit in that is bugs. Am I missing something jibi?

thanks for all of the hard work..

jibi
11-23-2006, 11:25 AM
It is a closed beta where members of the testing are under non-disclosure agreements. The release of said beta was without the consent of RIM is not allowed, thus the distributing of it on these forums is also not allowed. Users who do manage to get it do have the option to install it all they want, but some words of advice - don't share the link here and don't discuss it here.

jungleland
11-23-2006, 11:30 AM
It is a closed beta where members of the testing are under non-disclosure agreements. The release of said beta was without the consent of RIM is not allowed, thus the distributing of it on these forums is also not allowed. Users who do manage to get it do have the option to install it all they want, but some words of advice - don't share the link here and don't discuss it here.

Got it..did not know there was a still existing NDA

whsbuss
11-23-2006, 12:16 PM
Jibi,

As the beta moves toward completion, can you post the features (as you know them now) for OS 4.2 on the 87xx. Thanks for all you do.

jibi
11-23-2006, 12:22 PM
Take those screenshots that were made by me and posted by BG from a few months ago and you pretty much have a visual of what's on the device with OS 4.2. I'll try and put it into words, but it's honestly not much different than what you see for the Pearl (aside from themes/multi-point home screens, which is a subtle feature of the B-side Pearl themes, although most people don't really notice it).

whsbuss
11-23-2006, 12:28 PM
Take those screenshots that were made by me and posted by BG from a few months ago and you pretty much have a visual of what's on the device with OS 4.2. I'll try and put it into words, but it's honestly not much different than what you see for the Pearl (aside from themes/multi-point home screens, which is a subtle feature of the B-side Pearl themes, although most people don't really notice it).

I've been using the dimension-today theme for a month and like it. So although the Pearl has a nice GUI, I am most interested in calendar vCal features. Thanks.

Cartell
11-23-2006, 07:45 PM
ya my thread was closed

tankee531
11-23-2006, 08:08 PM
how soon is this "shortly" ? :)

flash24
11-23-2006, 08:46 PM
Okie, I'll wait :D

illest
11-24-2006, 02:23 AM
Good question.......How soon is shortly?

flash24
11-24-2006, 03:01 AM
Good question.......How soon is shortly?

In a month

Cartell
11-24-2006, 08:55 AM
what i dont understand is one mod fixed my thread and made it so the link worked but yet jibi says we cant have the threads at all. so how is right? why two mods disagree? or is it jibi?

Dawg
11-24-2006, 09:15 AM
what i dont understand is one mod fixed my thread and made it so the link worked but yet jibi says we cant have the threads at all. so how is right? why two mods disagree? or is it jibi?

Id say they all talked and made the desicion together. Do you not realize that these forums and guess could be sued and shut down for hosting illegal os from rim. Get a grip it will be releasd soon enough you have four posts here not a good way to start out *****ing about the mods in public if you want to ***** use the tools available to you.

Stinsonddog
11-24-2006, 09:44 AM
Id say they all talked and made the desicion together. Do you not realize that these forums and guess could be sued and shut down for hosting illegal os from rim. Get a grip it will be releasd soon enough you have four posts here not a good way to start out *****ing about the mods in public if you want to ***** use the tools available to you.

Simply put, the mods work in a collaborative way. Jibi is more informed on these matters and we collectively look out for the board. He layed out the reasoning with the non-disclosure and for the good of BBF that controls. It was my lack of knowledge. All the mods have different skillsets so together we make a good team.

Only patience will a Jedi make.

jibi
11-24-2006, 09:55 AM
Do parents always agree when punishing/rewarding their children? No. Two people think differently from time to time. In this particular case, I saw a need to remove the thread and did so. Considering the other thread concerning this beta was closed (by moi) due to the unavailability of the OS due to a request from RIM to remove it by that user, it makes sense not to post up a download link on a public forum, no? We (BBF) are on good terms with RIM, so we're not going to ruffle any feathers - it's really as simple as that.

whsbuss
11-24-2006, 11:34 AM
Do parents always agree when punishing/rewarding their children? No. Two people think differently from time to time. In this particular case, I saw a need to remove the thread and did so. Considering the other thread concerning this beta was closed (by moi) due to the unavailability of the OS due to a request from RIM to remove it by that user, it makes sense not to post up a download link on a public forum, no? We (BBF) are on good terms with RIM, so we're not going to ruffle any feathers - it's really as simple as that.

I totally agree. Downloading a beta w/unresolved bugs is not something anyone should want on their device. RIM and the carriers will release a fully functional OS when its ready. In the mean time, just enjoy a very stable OS 4.1

tankee531
11-27-2006, 08:14 PM
In a month

wow ! Christmas present? :D

LunkHead
11-27-2006, 08:18 PM
Why must some people get their pants all in a wad of irrelevant stuff??? [[shrug]]

The mods made a decision so deal with it.... :)

jibi
11-27-2006, 10:20 PM
wow ! Christmas present? :D
It's just speculation based on 'reports' from various support personnel within RIM and/or carriers. I personally don't see it being ready until January at the earliest, but that's just me. They rushed the OS for the Pearl and have obviously reached 'launch' material with the latest release... I don't think they'll necessarily rush OS 4.2 for the 8700 out of the gates. Look for it on Cingular first, though.

VidGameKing
12-03-2006, 04:05 AM
In the mean time, just enjoy a very stable OS 4.1

Bah!!! I've been enjoying that for the past year now! It's gotten old! I want something new and exciting! I can't wait to ditch my decrepid 8700c for a shiney new 8800!!!!! The average life of a cell phone is 8-Months before the owner has become tired of it and wants something else. I've had my 8700 for 4 months longer than the avarage life... I don't care if the OS is buggy I used Windows Mobile for Smartphones for a year that was an OS that was FULL of bugs and we still got to play with it!

But I can wait a month.... if I have too....