PDA

View Full Version : backup error

DJJeffT
03-29-2005, 04:39 PM
Hello all --

I did a search on this and saw nothing, so here goes.

Tried to back up my hh and got the following error. "the data was not recognized by the handheld'. What the heck does that mean?

I last backed up my hh on 3/17 with no problems. Went on vacation on 3/18 and returned on 3/26. Went to back up yesterday and got the error.

I have rebooted the device and still get the same error.

Any ideas?

Jeff

astcell
03-29-2005, 04:44 PM
Home > Support > Technical Knowledge Center
Support Knowledge Center

Knowledge Base Articles
Support - The data was not recognized by the handheld
Last Updated: 23 February 2005
Article Number: KB-03783

Access Level: General
Summary

This article applies to the following:

* BlackBerry Wirless Handheld™
* BlackBerry® Desktop Software
* SDR44254

Problem

While backing up data on your BlackBerry handheld, you receive the following error:
Communication Error: The data was not recognized by the handheld
Cause

Downloading and subsequently deleting items, such as ringtones or images, causes the items in the Content Store database to have a null value.
Resolution

Remove the Content Store database before backing up your handheld.

1. In Desktop Manager, double-click on Backup and Restore.
2. Click on Advanced. The Handheld Databases list appears.
3. In the Handheld Databases list, hold down the Ctrl key and click on every application except Content Store. Do not click on Content Store.
4. Click the arrow key to copy the applications over to the Desktop File Databases list. You may be prompted to enter your handheld password.
5. Go to File > Save to save your handheld backup.

DJJeffT
03-29-2005, 07:24 PM
Thanks.

That did the trick.

Jeff

whsbuss
01-12-2006, 10:48 AM
I have the same problem. However its not the Content Store, its the RMS Databases causing my error.

When in Advanced mode, the handheld device shows 5 entries in the RMS Databases. When I select it and try to copy it to the desktop on the left, I get the error AND when finished only 4 entries show up.

Anyone know how to find the bad database?

lrdiaz
01-12-2006, 10:56 AM
Same here, the RMS database. I never saw this error message until a week after I switched to the 8700.

whsbuss
01-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Same here, the RMS database. I never saw this error message until a week after I switched to the 8700.

Same number of entries? Same result when copying?

lrdiaz
01-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Device shows 5, Desktop shows 3, after copy RMS databases to Desktop, and I get two error messages.

whsbuss
01-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Device shows 5, Desktop shows 3, after copy RMS databases to Desktop, and I get two error messages.

Thanks for the update. Wish I could find what database(s) was causing the error.

lrdiaz
01-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Just in case, I deleted Piconews, rebooted, and now I have 6 Records in the device rms databases and 4 in the desktop.??

Stinsonddog
01-12-2006, 12:21 PM
I have 8 RMS (this is where third party data is stored on the BB) on the handheld and 7 on the desktop. Google Local was an OTA. I think it has a database for saved searches, but there would not be one on the desktop. What do you all think?

whsbuss
01-12-2006, 12:43 PM
I have 8 RMS (this is where third party data is stored on the BB) on the handheld and 7 on the desktop. Google Local was an OTA. I think it has a database for saved searches, but there would not be one on the desktop. What do you all think?

Yea that could be it. I d/l Google Local a few days ago but hadn't done a backup since 12/21/05 when it did not fail the RMS databases. As long as the backup has everything else just in case I need it, I feel OK.

Just wonder what the data really is that the desktop manager won't recognize?

lrdiaz
01-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Uninstalled Google local, and it got rid of one of the two error messages I constantly get when backing up. I have 5 recs in device and 4 in desktop.
The other third party apps left are: Minisafe, Pocket Express, Wisepent.

Stinsonddog
01-12-2006, 01:43 PM
you did it OTA, but I doubt it if you have the desktop. Which of these did you do OTA with no desktop?

Do you have a Google account. I don't. You can post this in their forum :

http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Local-for-mobile

Or go to this post and reply to the Google employee author and let us know.

http://groups.google.com/group/Goog...b7888afd605b30f

Uninstalled Google local, and it got rid of one of the two error messages I constantly get when backing up. I have 5 recs in device and 4 in desktop.
The other third party apps left are: Minisafe, Pocket Express, Wisepent.

lrdiaz
01-12-2006, 02:44 PM
I posted the problem on Google Groups. Will let you know when I get a response.

whsbuss
01-12-2006, 03:25 PM
I posted the problem on Google Groups. Will let you know when I get a response.

Thanks. Keep us informed.

lrdiaz
01-13-2006, 02:17 AM
No replies as of this morning.

whsbuss
01-13-2006, 07:43 AM
Maybe we need to send an email to RIM support notifying them of the problem.

Stinsonddog
01-13-2006, 08:28 AM
Send an email to the moderator whose link I posted earlier.

lrdiaz
01-15-2006, 11:38 AM
As of today, still no replies in Google Groups. Anyway, I got rid of the backup error and I have 5 records in both device and desktop.
I downloaded and installed the Rogers OS for the 8700, which has been updated since the original release and it is newer than the one offered by Cingular.

Stinsonddog
01-15-2006, 07:07 PM
As of today, still no replies in Google Groups. Anyway, I got rid of the backup error and I have 5 records in both device and desktop.
I downloaded and installed the Rogers OS for the 8700, which has been updated since the original release and it is newer than the one offered by Cingular.

lrdiaz
01-16-2006, 12:55 AM
Yep! Before the install, I did a backup with errors. Did same after the install with no errors.
The OS install wipes the device clean, installs, and restores pgms and data.

whsbuss
01-16-2006, 07:21 AM
I also read over on Hofo that there's a Bell Mobility update for the 7130e. I will have to wait for Verizon to release it before I load any new firmware.