PDA

View Full Version : BlackBerry Internet Service

smallville20
11-28-2006, 06:53 PM
Using the BlackBerry Internet Service email... what is the typical wait time for an actual send & receive to take place?

Verizon Wireless is my provider... and emails are being sent to my verizon.net email address. It seems to take an additional 15-20 minutes for a message to arrive in my BB, compared to Outlook Express.

Is this typical... or can this be enhanced?

Thank you kindly!

RobM
11-28-2006, 07:11 PM
Sounds like something is wrong...for me on cingular, and verizon fios, it takes only seconds

koleary19067
11-28-2006, 07:13 PM
Using the BlackBerry Internet Service email... what is the typical wait time for an actual send & receive to take place?

Verizon Wireless is my provider... and emails are being sent to my verizon.net email address. It seems to take an additional 15-20 minutes for a message to arrive in my BB, compared to Outlook Express.

Thank you kindly!

Thats normal. BIS polls around every 15 minutes

smallville20
11-28-2006, 07:21 PM
phew... I thought for certain it was me... which that cannot be ruled out as of yet :)

Thank you again for coming to my aid!

johnfromphilly
11-28-2006, 07:43 PM

Thank you kindly!

It is both typical and can be enhanced...

I use Gmail to run my Cingular based BIS to my 8700 and get e-mail in real time (10-20 seconds).

Here is a "how to" on setting this up:
Stinsonddog's Blackberry Tips Gmail and Yahoo Setup (http://home.comcast.net/~tamsterra/OP/GmailYahoo.htm)

Be sure to thank Stinsonddog for his help as it is his webpage.

My e-mail is setup like this:
Yahoo based domain e-mail>Gmail>Cingular BIS>BB 8700C

No Polling for e-mail....

Good Luck

smallville20
11-28-2006, 08:39 PM
Sorry... I guess that I'm not advanced enough to know how this link helps me. I read the information, and only found reference to Yahoo having realtime push capabilities... but no information as to how this happens.

Your efforts are greatly appreciated... unfortunately, I am too new to these devices to follow along.

Take care.

LunkHead
11-28-2006, 08:49 PM
Your times are nomal for BIS.... BES is almost instant but BIS can take up to 20 minutes... If you use the @<hidden> addy it is almost instant like BES is.... :)

smallville20
11-28-2006, 08:59 PM
I've been trying to do my "due diligence" on this matter and have come across "Mark Rejhon's Big BlackBerry FAQ List". It states that a blackberry.net (BIS) email address operates in a true "push" environment, where POP3 (BWS) email address will have a 15 minute "push".

I suppose if one were to forward all (BWS) emails to a (BIS) address, then a true "push" could be accomplished? However, I also assume that this not favorable to most users as replys would give away your (BIS) address?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

LunkHead
11-28-2006, 09:04 PM
BIS is BWS....

BIS is 15 minutes or so....

Use the @<hidden> email address and it's almost instant...

Do you need your email instantly?

Do you like to be able to respond to the email using the address it arrived in?

smallville20
11-28-2006, 09:16 PM
Sorry for the confusion... I was only using the terminology provided by Mr. Rejhon's List.

Instant email would be nice... but definitely not required on my BB. With most of my time being spent in airports or convention centers, I am often times buying into their expensive Internet access to simply check my inbox on my laptop. I think I was just beginning to get carried away with this thought and forgot that I have the unlimited use feature to tether my laptop to my BB.

It's my first day with this wonderful device... call me a kid in a candy store! It just keeps getting better and better :)

Thank you so much for your patience and time.

untjoker
11-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Thats normal. BIS polls around every 15 minutes

I have no idea why people keep putting this out as gospel. I know noone, I repeat noone whose BIS email takes anywhere near 15 minutes to arrive. Every blackberry I've had with every provider I've had has been BIS and they all take around 15 seconds to the MOST 1 minute to receive email. Google is instantaneous, 24/7/365. Most other BIS emails are almost as fast, whether they be yahoo, or regular corporate pop3 accounts.

LunkHead
11-28-2006, 09:38 PM
I have no idea why people keep putting this out as gospel. I know noone, I repeat noone whose BIS email takes anywhere near 15 minutes to arrive. Every blackberry I've had with every provider I've had has been BIS and they all take around 15 seconds to the MOST 1 minute to receive email.

Because thats how long it takes??????? [[shrug]]

My BIS is always and has always been in the 15 to 20 min time frame....

I have 3 email accounts plugged up, and they are all in the 15 to 20 min time frame...

If you are getting instant email on BIS then please share the BB magic with the rest of us BIS users...... :)

LunkHead
11-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Sorry for the confusion... I was only using the terminology provided by Mr. Rejhon's List.
Oh he is the MAN! Must have been an older post.... BWS (BlackBerry Web Service) was replaced in name with BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service)

They are the same for our purposes :)

John Clark
11-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Gmail is much faster on the BIS than any other email I've had. I don't know what secret handshake GMail got with RIM but it works. No spam either!

dkf747
11-29-2006, 08:56 AM
I have no idea why people keep putting this out as gospel. I know noone, I repeat noone whose BIS email takes anywhere near 15 minutes to arrive. Every blackberry I've had with every provider I've had has been BIS and they all take around 15 seconds to the MOST 1 minute to receive email. Google is instantaneous, 24/7/365. Most other BIS emails are almost as fast, whether they be yahoo, or regular corporate pop3 accounts.

Only Gmail and Yahoo work that fast, as far as I know. Other addresses take about 10 minutes or so for me.

johnfromphilly
11-29-2006, 11:17 AM
Because thats how long it takes??????? [[shrug]]

My BIS is always and has always been in the 15 to 20 min time frame....

I have 3 email accounts plugged up, and they are all in the 15 to 20 min time frame...

If you are getting instant email on BIS then please share the BB magic with the rest of us BIS users...... :)

I get instant e-mail thru BIS. I used the setup described in the link I provided above. I forward three email addys to GMAIL then that is ionstantly forwarded to the blackberry. No polling at all.

Here is, what I believe to be, the latest thread where this was described. I am on BIS 1 with Cingular:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/35040-gmail-bis2-setup.html#post238013

This has worked on my BB for a LONG time with Zero problems.

Ask if you have any additional questions because there is no reason to be polling every 15 minutes- get instant e-mail.

tbdiscovery
11-29-2006, 11:20 AM
My wait time varies. It is generally pretty quick, but 15 min would not surprise me.

LunkHead
11-29-2006, 01:07 PM
there is no reason to be polling every 15 minutes- get instant e-mail.
I don't use Gmail and I don't use the @<hidden> address.....

I dont have a need to get my email right now when away from the pc... It's just not that important to me... 15-20 min works just fine for me thanks :) :)

The OP asked if the time delay was normal and it is normal unless you have done a work around....

Then this...
I have no idea why people keep putting this out as gospel. I know noone, I repeat noone whose BIS email takes anywhere near 15 minutes to arrive. Every blackberry I've had with every provider I've had has been BIS and they all take around 15 seconds to the MOST 1 minute to receive email.

That statement is false and mis-leading to the OP...

johnfromphilly
11-29-2006, 01:11 PM
I don't use Gmail and I don't use the @<hidden> address.....

I dont have a need to get my email right now when away from the pc... It's just not that important to me... 15-20 min works just fine for me thanks :) :)

Lunkhead, you said this:
If you are getting instant email on BIS then please share the BB magic with the rest of us BIS users......

So i shared my "magic". If you don't need it, that's cool...but you asked and I answered.

LunkHead
11-29-2006, 01:17 PM
Lunkhead, you said this:
If you are getting instant email on BIS then please share the BB magic with the rest of us BIS users......

So i shared my "magic". If you don't need it, that's cool...but you asked and I answered.

Then please allow me to rephrase...

If you are getting instant push on BIS without using a work around then please share the magic.....

There are plemty of work arounds but basic BIS as the device is delivered is 15-20 min....

BUT thanks for sharing the info as that was one of the OP's questions :) :)

johnfromphilly
11-29-2006, 01:19 PM
Then please allow me to rephrase...

If you are getting instant push on BIS without using a work around then please share the magic.....

There are plemty of work arounds but basic BIS as the device is delivered is 15-20 min....

BUT thanks for sharing the info as that was one of the OP's questions :) :)

NP:smile: (y)

armandov99
11-29-2006, 01:30 PM
OK, seriously, some of you guys are talking about 2 different things. You have 2 choices with BIS:

1) Poll your own external e-mail, mail shows up every 15 minutes or so. This might be faster with Yahoo/GMail, I don't know. Most traditional POP polling will probably take 10-15 (roughly). The OP's verizon.net address falls in this category.

2) Use your blackberry.net address, get mail instantly.

If you don't mind waiting, 1) is fine. If you NEED instant mail, you need to go with option 2). I would NOT recommend actually giving out your blackberry.net address - instead, FORWARD to it from an account with a good spam filter (like GMail) if you really want instant mail. and set the blackberry.net's "Reply-to" to the address you forwarded FROM.

smallville20
11-29-2006, 01:43 PM
All of you... thank you for presenting these options. I now understand how this functions... and that I am in the norm. I am good with the delay since I don't think I will need to be pounding emails from my BB. If things get to that point, I will simply tether to my laptop and do it real time there.

Thank you again for your time and take care.

johnfromphilly
11-29-2006, 01:56 PM
OK, seriously, some of you guys are talking about 2 different things. You have 2 choices with BIS:

1) Poll your own external e-mail, mail shows up every 15 minutes or so. This might be faster with Yahoo/GMail, I don't know. Most traditional POP polling will probably take 10-15 (roughly). The OP's verizon.net address falls in this category.

2) Use your blackberry.net address, get mail instantly.

If you don't mind waiting, 1) is fine. If you NEED instant mail, you need to go with option 2). I would NOT recommend actually giving out your blackberry.net address - instead, FORWARD to it from an account with a good spam filter (like GMail) if you really want instant mail. and set the blackberry.net's "Reply-to" to the address you forwarded FROM.

Uh....Thanks for the summation...I guess:???:

armandov99
11-29-2006, 02:19 PM
Uh....Thanks for the summation...I guess:???:

I don't recall summing up any numbers for you...but I recommend a calculator next time you need help with summation.

About my summary, you're welcome. I agree that it was a helpful way to sum up what was said in the thread, which had gotten hard to read due to you arguing with some guy for no apparent reason.

Some of us try to keep the posts productive, rather than quoting several lines of text and replying with "NP."

johnfromphilly
11-29-2006, 10:39 PM
From Webster's:
Summation: a final part of an argument reviewing points made and expressing conclusions

foner
11-30-2006, 12:13 AM
Good god this is annoying...

archer6
11-30-2006, 12:48 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Iuse BIS along with Yahoo Plus Mail & I experience immediate receipt of email.
It's fast and very reliable. I use Cingular setvice, and enjoy & the call is outstanding.

archer6
11-30-2006, 12:51 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Iuse BIS along with Yahoo Plus Mail & I experience immediate receipt of email.
It's fast and very reliable. I use Cingular setvice, and enjoy & the call is outstanding.