PDA

View Full Version : deactivate push e-mail

BBQ8700
11-29-2006, 03:52 AM
Hello everbody,

I´m looking for some advice on how to possibly deactivate the push e-mail service on my BB 8700.
Maybe there is some hidden menu that could be accessed, or even better simply key code to switch the service on/off ?

I´m aware that the push-service is a key feature of BB. However, from my point of view there are some occasions where switching it off would is desirable e.g. while travelling abroad in order to avoid - more or less - contineous roaming (thus costs).

Honestly, I believe that other hardware providers offer an advantage because on several devices it seems possible to simply deactivate BB functions.

Thanks in advance for your contributions !

pspiegel
11-29-2006, 06:17 AM
you could go into your BIS website if you are on a BIS and just delete the account and put it back on when you want it.. its pretty easy to do and will turn off the BB Email Functions

bvandrasik
11-29-2006, 08:18 AM
Instead of deleting the BIS account(s), just go to "filters" and select "When no filters apply: Do not forward messages to handheld"

phillyslickster
11-29-2006, 08:22 AM
I would follow the suggestion of the above poster. When abroad, you can turn off the BB so that you won't incur the roaming fees and purchase a prepaid sim for your phone if your device is GSM.

Also, if you want to be able to turn your email service off and on, then you may want to look at a smartphone device where you can have your email pushed at the time intervals of choice, ie ecery 15 minutes, every 30 minutes, hourly, once a day, never, during your work hours, etc.

Just a suggestion of an option that may work better for you.

TagsVC
11-29-2006, 02:24 PM
or delete service books

John Clark
11-30-2006, 01:01 AM
Actually, on the later TMobile versions of the 4.1 OS you can go into options, network and turn off the data. It changes GPRS to gprs and stops your data connection without losing your phone connection. I use it when I'm on vacation and don't want emails coming in. Once you turn it back on again, all the emails come flooding in.

I don't know, specifically, which version of the 8700 OS has this option since I don't own an 8700. Someone with an 8700 might be able to verify a version for you.

forpascal
12-01-2006, 06:30 AM
Instead of deleting the BIS account(s), just go to "filters" and select "When no filters apply: Do not forward messages to handheld"
Here it says to unable the filtres. I did this but when reconnecting, none of the emails received during this period were sent to my BB. They all appear on my computer nut not on the BB.

Any solution?

forpascal
12-01-2006, 10:44 AM
No one knows other option to make this?

forpascal
12-01-2006, 11:02 AM
OK, if there is no solution for desconnecting only the email reception, is there a way not to see the emails (but only the SMS messages for example) when I open the messages menu?

My problem is that if i am on holidays, I want to be able to use my phone, receive SMS (from my voice mail for example), but I do not want to see my emails because this will destroy my holidays as i will read them (I know how I am).

Any good idea?

Pascal

John Clark
12-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Actually, on the later TMobile versions of the 4.1 OS you can go into options, network and turn off the data. It changes GPRS to gprs and stops your data connection without losing your phone connection. I use it when I'm on vacation and don't want emails coming in. Once you turn it back on again, all the emails come flooding in.

I don't know, specifically, which version of the 8700 OS has this option since I don't own an 8700. Someone with an 8700 might be able to verify a version for you.

I'm pretty certain that on the TMobile version of the OS this is an option....

forpascal
12-02-2006, 07:00 AM
And how do you do this? Where is such option I do not find it.

Regards.

tsac
12-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Go to the Email , roll to the top, push roll wheel select options, email settings,
set the " send email to handheld to "NO"

John Clark
12-03-2006, 12:59 AM
And how do you do this? Where is such option I do not find it.

Regards.

Not all OS versions have this setting under network. TMobile included it in some of their later versions of 4.1 software. You can turn "data services" to "off" or "on" under Options >Network. If ithis feature is that important to be able to do that then I suggest using TMobile's latest version of the 8700 4.1 software.

Please , someone with an 8700g running the latest TMobile OS, please help me out here or correct me. I know for a fact it is available on the 7100 OS and the 8100 OS but I don't have an 8700 myself to try it on.

forpascal
12-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Go to the Email , roll to the top, push roll wheel select options, email settings,
Thank you. I have this possibility. One question nevertheless. After putting it back on, will I recover all messages from the past or only the new ones? What I mean is will I receive the ones sent when my option was on the no setting.

Pascal

forpascal
12-03-2006, 02:29 PM
In fact I just made a test. I put the option as "NO". After putting it back to "YES", the BB synchronize with my email address, but none of the emails forwarded to my email between the moment I put "NO" and the moment I put "YES" appear on my BB.
This is not what I want. I want to be able to disconnect from my email account when I am on holidays for example, but reconnect in order to read the ones I have received once a week for example. The option stated here does not seem to enable this. Or, is there another setting that I should put into the BB in order to receive all the old emails when I was disconnected?

Thanks for your comments.

Pascal

tsac
12-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Not sure you can suspend the account that way. The server stores emails
Sorry

John Clark
12-03-2006, 09:40 PM
In fact I just made a test. I put the option as "NO". After putting it back to "YES", the BB synchronize with my email address, but none of the emails forwarded to my email between the moment I put "NO" and the moment I put "YES" appear on my BB.
This is not what I want. I want to be able to disconnect from my email account when I am on holidays for example, but reconnect in order to read the ones I have received once a week for example. The option stated here does not seem to enable this. Or, is there another setting that I should put into the BB in order to receive all the old emails when I was disconnected?

Pascal

No, that option will not do what you are trying to do. What version of the 8700 Operating system are you using? Look under Options >About and it should say 4.1.0.??? What are the last three numbers? I'm almost certain that version 4.1.0.356 includes the option to turn off data services. Upgrade (downgrade if necessary) to this version and then follow my instructions below. This is a nice feature that the TMobile OS's included in the later 4.1 versions.

tsac
12-03-2006, 09:48 PM
The OS on cingular also will do that but the emails are stored and sent to the BB when the option is restored. I think he wants to NOT have any stored by changing that option. At least with cingular it wont do that , it stores and send as soon as the BB is set to receive emails. Does TMO dump the email not sent?

John Clark
12-03-2006, 10:06 PM

Pascal

He tried the Email off in the email settings and it didn't work for him. This is what he wants (see above). The feature in the Network selection page (in some OS's) does just that. I just don't know which OS supports it. I just found out it's not the latest TMobile 8700 OS. Cingular's OS supports that feature? Which version?

forpascal
12-04-2006, 04:03 AM
No, that option will not do what you are trying to do. What version of the 8700 Operating system are you using? Look under Options >About and it should say 4.1.0.??? What are the last three numbers? I'm almost certain that version 4.1.0.356 includes the option to turn off data services. Upgrade (downgrade if necessary) to this version and then follow my instructions below. This is a nice feature that the TMobile OS's included in the later 4.1 versions.
Hi.

Thanks for your answers. My model is 8700V (Vodafon in Germany) and my version is 4.1.0.258. How can I upgrade to a latest version (4.1.0.356)?

Regards.

Pascal

Dcoliva
12-04-2006, 05:47 AM
Please , someone with an 8700g running the latest TMobile OS, please help me out here or correct me. I know for a fact it is available on the 7100 OS and the 8100 OS but I don't have an 8700 myself to try it on.

I have a 8700g with TIM (Telecom Italia Mobile), software version 309. There is such option under network. I turned off Data and EDGE turned into edge. I sent an email to my BB email and I didn't receive it. The email however showed up as soon as I turned Data on again.

Regards,
Daniele

forpascal
12-04-2006, 06:51 AM
I have a 8700g with TIM (Telecom Italia Mobile), software version 309. There is such option under network. I turned off Data and EDGE turned into edge. I sent an email to my BB email and I didn't receive it. The email however showed up as soon as I turned Data on again.

Regards,
Daniele
You are a lucky man Daniele, with Vodafone, the inly option I have in Network is to choose whether the network is found automatically or manually.

Pascal

John Clark
12-04-2006, 03:29 PM
You are a lucky man Daniele, with Vodafone, the inly option I have in Network is to choose whether the network is found automatically or manually.

Pascal

Pascal....just install the .309 software on your BB and you will have that option too.

John Clark
12-04-2006, 03:30 PM

Regards,
Daniele

...and THANK YOU Danielle! I thought I was losing my mind!

takeshi
12-04-2006, 05:03 PM
The OS on cingular also will do that but the emails are stored and sent to the BB when the option is restored. I think he wants to NOT have any stored by changing that option. At least with cingular it wont do that , it stores and send as soon as the BB is set to receive emails. Does TMO dump the email not sent?
Nope. Blackberries queue email this way by design. Otherwise when you lose coverage, email would end up in a "black hole"...

forpascal
12-05-2006, 04:02 AM
Pascal....just install the .309 software on your BB and you will have that option too.
How do you get the update?

Spawneh
12-05-2006, 05:28 AM
Usually if you goto your carriers home page they will provide a link to download specific software best to probably call your carrier so they can point u in the right direction.

I know RIM's links to carrier specific sites are difficult to type in :)

Spawneh
12-05-2006, 05:33 AM
i found the site
put in the normal http part in front without the dots but its where i found it on there site.
h.t.t.p.:.//support.vodafone.de/index_l3_2d.html

well i believe it is my german isnt to good

John Clark
12-05-2006, 04:42 PM
How do you get the update?

Pascal,
I have been researching your request because I would like to know how to have this feature as well on the 8700's. Here is the procedure:

Load this new version of the 8700 software.

https://www.blackberry.com/SoftwareDownload/index.jsp?client=Rc4cZBaBN

It is the latest update to the 8700. It just came out in the last couple of days. It's for Cingular but will work on any GSM 8700. Download and install this file.

Then delete the vendor.xml located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.

Now, download this file:

http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/185265/My%20Documents/rim8700g.sfi

and replace the one located here: c:\program files\common files\research in motion\shared\8700 v4.......\GPRS\

Then open Desktop Manager and it should prompt you to upgrade. This should give you the latest software with the ability to turn off your data in the network page.

I got this info from the following threads:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8700-series-discussion/56596-8700c-cingular-os-upgrade-v4-1-0-529-a.html

http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-software/1871-blackberryos-4-x-download-faq-upgrade-downloads.html

Spawneh
12-05-2006, 04:57 PM
The one thing I would warn about using none approved software is that if you need to call for support they can refuse to help you.

John Clark
12-05-2006, 04:58 PM
...and that is true. But you can always load the original/supported OS back on if necessary.

Dcoliva
12-06-2006, 02:53 AM
...and THANK YOU Danielle! I thought I was losing my mind!

You're welcome.
I cannot wait for OS 4.2 to be released, though. I miss some of the features of Pearl in my 8700.
Outgoing email attachments, to name one.

Regards,
Daniele

forpascal
12-07-2006, 05:25 AM
I downloaded and installed the latest version proposed by Vodafone (V.351), but the possibility to disbale email is still not available.
I think that I will stop lookig for this. My alternative plan is that during my holidays, I will leave the email activated but hide the icon showing messages. This way I will not see that I have 200 messages waiting to be read.

Thanks anyway for your help.

John Clark
12-07-2006, 11:42 AM
I downloaded and installed the latest version proposed by Vodafone (V.351), but the possibility to disbale email is still not available.
I think that I will stop lookig for this. My alternative plan is that during my holidays, I will leave the email activated but hide the icon showing messages. This way I will not see that I have 200 messages waiting to be read.

Thanks anyway for your help.

Pascal...I gave you a specific version to use....you needed the .309 OS for that option to be available automatically with no modifications. I also gave you instructions on how to load that option on other OS versions. I wouldn't worry about using a version "not supported" by Vodafone. Thousands of people on BBForums are loading OS's that their specific provider didn't release. Look at all the Pearl users in the US using .67 OS when that version was released by a provider in Spain. All OS versions are produced by RIM and will work on the BB's (as long as their for the appropriate model i.e. 8700, 7100, etc.) On the .351 version you loaded did you replace the .sfi file with the one I linked in my instructions? It sounds like you didn't and that's why you didn't get that option. It has to be done when you load the OS. If you still want that feature use JL_CMDR (search the forums-you'll find it right away)to wipe the handheld and load the .309 OS version or reload the .351 OS with the replaced .sfi file I linked in the instructions above. I recommend saving the old .sfi file just in case there is a problem. However, other users are doing this and having satisfactory results. Reference the threads I linked above and you'll see. I can't help you much more than this. Good luck.

forpascal
12-08-2006, 05:45 AM
Pascal...I gave you a specific version to use....you needed the .309 OS for that option to be available automatically with no modifications. I also gave you instructions on how to load that option on other OS versions. I wouldn't worry about using a version "not supported" by Vodafone. Thousands of people on BBForums are loading OS's that their specific provider didn't release. Look at all the Pearl users in the US using .67 OS when that version was released by a provider in Spain. All OS versions are produced by RIM and will work on the BB's (as long as their for the appropriate model i.e. 8700, 7100, etc.) On the .351 version you loaded did you replace the .sfi file with the one I linked in my instructions? It sounds like you didn't and that's why you didn't get that option. It has to be done when you load the OS. If you still want that feature use JL_CMDR (search the forums-you'll find it right away)to wipe the handheld and load the .309 OS version or reload the .351 OS with the replaced .sfi file I linked in the instructions above. I recommend saving the old .sfi file just in case there is a problem. However, other users are doing this and having satisfactory results. Reference the threads I linked above and you'll see. I can't help you much more than this. Good luck.
Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate. Your instructions are clear but I am still afraid to make a mistake and having the guys from computer department completely mad with me.

Again, thank you all of you.

syn
02-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Heya John,

koodos to you. That's exactly what i'm after. I've changed OS heaps of times now and if i can get my emails to appear in messages i'd like to stick with it. Basically i get email notification but when i goto messages to check it is empty.

I couldn't get to the site you posted for the rim8700g.sfi file but i put one of my ones in from another OS i used. Am i to understand that this file is for the radio config?

I'm thinking the problem might be that our BES doesn't support the version that i got from the link you posted. Could this be the issue?

scu630
02-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Can you deactivate push e-mail if running Cingular OS 4.1.0.529 using the rim8700g.sfi file?