PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

tbdiscovery
12-01-2006, 02:37 PM
I see a lot of posts on here about malfunctions with the berry (it happens). Is it generally good to have the insurance or do the companyies usually back out of any issues?

I have been fortunate to rarely have had mechanical issues, but I do have the insurance just in case. I do find it odd that Sprint charges $6/month, regardless of the phone. I'm thinking it is probably BS.

jcpom
12-01-2006, 08:24 PM
VZ also charges $6 per month and is probably a rip-off, but I still buy into it.

bubbaman
12-01-2006, 10:46 PM
For what the insurance costs it is a better idea to look elsewhere. I know Alltel has been good as far as warranty problems with their handsets. They give you a loaner and send yours in for repair/replacement. The insurance through Alltel and most carriers is 5-6 dollars a month and you have to pay a $100 deductable if something happens to your phone. Check out your homeowners insurance and add it to your policy. I pay $12 a year for farmers mutual that if something happens to my phone they send me a check for the insured amount.($549 retail) Also, you don't have to worry about getting some refurb if you go through a "real" insurance agent.

To answer the rest of your question, Blackberry's really don't have any more problems then some other models of phones out there.(That aren't caused by faulty 3rd party apps). Just stay away from a TREO and you will be all right.

mymitsu3kgt
12-02-2006, 03:03 PM
It depends on what kind of damage you plan to have on your BB. If you're the type that fequently has a cracked screen or housing damage, then you should definately get the insurance. If you're worried about hardware or OS defects and failure, then do not purchase the insurance. You have a year to return the device and receive a new or refurbished one. I'm with Tmobile. When you have a problem that is determined to be a factory defect, they send you a new one with return shipping for your damaged BB.

tsac
12-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Your Lucky, cingular wont offer insurance on a BB. It breaks or is lost and you buy another

tbdiscovery
12-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the insight. I'm very careful with my phone, but as a former EMT, my mentality is: "anything can happen at anytime".I'm going to look in to the other options mentioned.