PDA

View Full Version : Manual network selection on Cingular/8700c

estabulla
12-01-2006, 09:45 PM
Hi All,

I have done a search on this forum and on the internet and coupled with my own experience, I have the following to share and questions to ask:

I have an 8700c that I took abroad with me. Before I left I had the Blackberry international data plan activated and all was well i.e. as long as the carrier I was roaming on gave my BB an EDGE or GPRS connection, I could get my email. However I was unable to do any manual network selection anywhere (simply don't get an option in the Network section) - specifically in a few locations in India, the BB would latch on to a GSM signal with another carrier and would not budge. I had to remove the SIM card from my BB put it into another phone, manually switch the network and then put it back into my BB. It would work for a few hours or in some cases a day and then switch back. I literally had to keep a spare phone with me all the time incase this happened when I was travelling.

I have since then tried switching the OS (Cingular -> Bharti -> Vodafone), the phone itself and the SIM card. Same result.

I have an Windows Mobile phone that allows me to manually select network with Cingular and same SIM card, no problems.

So my questions are:

(1) It appears that this is an issue specific to a Cingular/8700c combination - the OS I am running does not seem to be be making a difference. Anyone else had the same issue and could share their experience?

(2) Is there a workaround to this issue, other than the one which involved using a bastion phone to switch the network and then pop it back to the BB?

Calling Cingular has been futile so far.

Thanks in advance.

--eb

paulbblc
12-01-2006, 10:06 PM
I too have the same problem. I'm not sure if it's specific to the 8700c or Cingular or the combination of both. I also am running Bharti.

At the time I'm not aware of any work around. Maybe Corey could shed some light on this if he reads it.

Stinsonddog
12-01-2006, 11:00 PM
Cingular Orange customers can't switch networks. Cingular Blue can. It's the SIM and account that allows it. If you are on Orange, if you get it unlocked for Intl roaming, then I think, but am not sure you can change it. It isn't the OS.

paulbblc
12-01-2006, 11:12 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me Stinsonddog, always been a bit confused on this.

estabulla
12-01-2006, 11:20 PM
Stinsonddog - Pardon my naiveness, I thought the ability to switch networks and actually being able to select another network were two different things.

For example I can put my existing Cingular SIM card (the one I use in the BB) into a Windows Smartphone, go to Networks, set to Manual and "search" for networks. The only option I get is Cingular, which is as expected and I think what you are referring to.

However on the BB I get no such option. It does not matter what SIM I use - Cingular or any other. I do not get the option to switch or scan networks. Seems almost like the OS prevents me from doing so. For example in India, I had a pre-paid SIM card that I tried putting in the BB and option did not appear as expected.

What I am trying to say is there is something else that may be causing this over and beyond just the SIM. If its not the OS, what else could it be? Is there some magical key combination that "unlocks" this feature?

--eb

Stinsonddog
12-02-2006, 12:53 AM
Stinsonddog - Pardon my naiveness, I thought the ability to switch networks and actually being able to select another network were two different things.

For example I can put my existing Cingular SIM card (the one I use in the BB) into a Windows Smartphone, go to Networks, set to Manual and "search" for networks. The only option I get is Cingular, which is as expected and I think what you are referring to.

However on the BB I get no such option. It does not matter what SIM I use - Cingular or any other. I do not get the option to switch or scan networks. Seems almost like the OS prevents me from doing so. For example in India, I had a pre-paid SIM card that I tried putting in the BB and option did not appear as expected.

What I am trying to say is there is something else that may be causing this over and beyond just the SIM. If its not the OS, what else could it be? Is there some magical key combination that "unlocks" this feature?

--eb
I am on Cingular Blue and I can do it in the US. I understand that if go to Europe and have the phone unlocked first, then even on Orange, you can change. It is locked to Cingular. Search the threads for unlocking. But even with a locked Cingular Blue, I can only use a Cingular Blue SIM, but I can search for networks. Hence on Blue it's a SIM card feature. That's what I am aware of. So if you have been a Cingular user for while call them up and tell them you are going INTL and want it unlocked. They should do it for you. Then you might be able to, even in the US. Not sure.

estabulla
12-02-2006, 09:40 AM
I am on Cingular Blue and I can do it in the US. I understand that if go to Europe and have the phone unlocked first, then even on Orange, you can change. It is locked to Cingular. Search the threads for unlocking. But even with a locked Cingular Blue, I can only use a Cingular Blue SIM, but I can search for networks. Hence on Blue it's a SIM card feature. That's what I am aware of. So if you have been a Cingular user for while call them up and tell them you are going INTL and want it unlocked. They should do it for you. Then you might be able to, even in the US. Not sure.

Thanks Stinsonddog for the clarification - This works for me!

--eb

SamelCamel
01-19-2007, 06:40 PM
I'm having the same problem. I had Cingular unlock my phone and still, no dice. I loaded up the latest Telstra version of the O/S and it added an option for turning the data on/off, but still no way of searching or locking in another network. Our company is currently having problems with the 8700c grabbing the wrong network of two in Vietnam and we need to fix it in order to get data. It grabs Modifone (no data support, only voice) instead of Vinaphone (data and voice support.)

-Sam in Kansas City

takeshi
01-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Ok, hold on.

Unlocking your phone has nothing to do with whether or not you have the network select option. It's your SIM. As Stinsondog has indicated, Cingular Blue customers do have network select and it has nothing to do with the network/subsidy lock (Stinsondog even says that his device was locked).

IIRC with Cingular (Orange) you only get network select if you're travelling internationally AND you have roaming. Again, I'm not 100% on this. You might want to speak to International Support (not the standard CSR's). My wife and I are on Cingular Orange and we do have network select when roaming internationally but we don't domestically.

ikko555
01-29-2007, 03:37 PM
Currently I am using Cingular BB 7290. Then it could not be worked in Brazil. Cingular support said "The 7290 cannot be find the siginal of 1800MHz correctly in Brazil. You should upgrade Cingular 8700c. It has the network selection manually."

However, when I read it here, Cingular 8700c does not have the "Network selection" manually. I beleive Cingular support mistakes.

Could anyone use Cingular 8700c in Brazil correctly ? If so, I consider upgrading to 8700c.

Thank you.

Ikko