PDA

View Full Version : Help/Advice on Blackberry 7100t

djseto
03-30-2005, 09:11 PM
I am seriously thinking of getting a 7100t since I can get them for $99 from my employer. I have a few questions regarding its compatibility with outlook that T-Mobile cant seem to answer:

1. Can I synch it with 2 versions of outlook? I have outlook on my work laptop and my home laptop. I would like my blackberry to have essentially have info from both.
2. Can I Add/Edit appointments on the fly in the blackberry and then synch that with outlook. I was told by some people, you can only go from outlook to blackberry, but not the other way.
3. I will not be using BES, but I would like to link the blackberry to my yahoo mail account (which I know can be done), but when I send email, will it be from yahoo or from my Blackberry email account? I would like to send emails on the fly, but I dont want it to be from my blackberry account or else people just start sending me stuff there instead of my yahoo account.
4. Any big issues with the 7100 other than some people not liking SureType?

Thanks!

harleyxlc
03-30-2005, 09:53 PM
1. I will say yes, but you should probably post the versions.
2. You can edit on the bb and sync.
3. You can setup pop (including Yahoo). The downside is the from and reply address will be your bb address. Or a step better any other ONE address you setup. BBReply and PocketDay both have options that let you change the reply address, but the from address that displays will still be the one setup on the BWC website.
4. I happen to like the suretype, but this is my first bb, so I don't know any better :) but I did come from a Motorola a630 with a full qwerty and the suretype is fine with me. Bluetooth is headset/handsfree only, so forget file transfer or DUN.

If you get it, be sure to upgrade to the latest desktop client and bb os.

djseto
03-31-2005, 12:30 AM
The versions of outlook are the same, its just that one is on my work PC and one is on my home ... I really want the BB to have all the info from them both merged together one device..if thats even possible.

Another Question: I read that the 7100 on T-Mobile can be configured as a wirless modem...what kind of transfer speeds are we talking about here? Faster than dial-up?

djseto
03-31-2005, 08:59 AM
anyone? I need to make a purchase today if I want to get the deal on the 7100t...

takeshi
03-31-2005, 10:27 AM
3. I will not be using BES, but I would like to link the blackberry to my yahoo mail account (which I know can be done), but when I send email, will it be from yahoo or from my Blackberry email account? I would like to send emails on the fly, but I dont want it to be from my blackberry account or else people just start sending me stuff there instead of my yahoo account.

4. Any big issues with the 7100 other than some people not liking SureType?

If you can forward mail from Yahoo to your BWC email address it will arrive significantly faster. I'm not sure if you can do this with a Yahoo email account or not. To clarify harleyxlc's response, BWC will let you specify a sent from/reply to address and it works really well. You only need BBreply or PocketDay if you want to support multiple "from" addresses as I understand it.

The only issue aside form the SureType keyboard that I had with the 7100 was that it was a bit sluggish with the T-Mobile theme. I found it was better with the default theme but the default theme is mostly text.

djseto
03-31-2005, 10:34 AM
thanks for the answers. Anyone know about the Transfer rate when using the 7100 as a modem?

I just ordered mine and got it for $49 after the $100 rebate from my local T-Mobile store. The store manager said he could and did beat my companies
t-mobile blackberry rep....looks like I will have to add this to my list of daily forums I read....

harleyxlc
03-31-2005, 11:10 AM
You cannot use it as a wireless modem, but with the usb cable you can use it as a modem. Can't tell you about my speeds, I haven't ever gotten mine to work that way :)

djseto
03-31-2005, 01:54 PM
right. i meant wireless in the sense that I can use it anywhere. I know it will still be physically conneted to the computer via USB, but the overall solution is wireless. Are you on Tmobile or another a carrier. According to the post, it does work with Tmobile. Also, do you have to have high powered USB ports for it to charge on a laptop? I know my ipod wont because my dell laptop(work) doesnt have high power USB (but it is 2.0)

harleyxlc
03-31-2005, 02:54 PM
I am on T-Mobile. Others have gotten it to work, I just haven't put much effort into it :)

I am able to charge the bb from my laptop. Don't know any power specs, it is a Toshiba M200 if that helps you.