PDA

View Full Version : GPS interfering with cell phone signal?

MrSanc8
12-06-2006, 11:20 PM
Like the rest of you addicts, I'm always trying to get to know the features of my BB every waking second I get.

As I drive around the streets of Miami with my new 8703e and BB Maps with GPS on, I have noticed that when I receive a call, it keeps cutting off frequently, so I have to ask the person who is calling to hold, go to the home screen, go into BB Maps and stop gps, and the call sounds loud and clear again.

Is this normal?

Is there something wrong with this particular 8703e I just got.

Thanks for your input!

LunkHead
12-06-2006, 11:55 PM
My 1st guess would be that the 8700 can't do data and phone at the same time and that might be causing the issue... BUT i'd wait for someone with more knowledge on the GPS stuff to reply like Stinsonddog before taking my werd on it :)

mymitsu3kgt
12-07-2006, 12:05 AM
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

As mentioned above, the BB can't do simultaneous voice and data so I don't believe the BB is still receiving GPS data when you receive a call. If the program is still running however, it may be bogging down the BB's resources and compromising voice quality.

wiredwrx
12-07-2006, 12:23 AM
I assume you are using a BT GPS. BT uses 2400mhz. It is possible that your cell service is using a close frequency, or perhaps, a harmonic of 2400mhz. In any event, even if on different frequency (and it is claimed that BT does not interfere because it hops frequencies, blah blah blah) any type of RF generation can adversly effect any reciever in close proximity, and your cell is a receiver.

So, try moving your GPS further away from your cell phone. Since it operates in 2400mhz, a wavelength is very small, so moving it just a foot, or a couple of feet, can make a big difference.

my.02
Michael