PDA

View Full Version : Updated 7250 vs. 8370e Dilemma

hoshbo
12-09-2006, 09:31 PM
I am in a quandry. My phone system is set up in my office with pager notification that sends a signal to my
audible only pager when a particular voice mail box is
selected by the caller. I am wanting to join the 21st century, however I have yet to find a device that will allow one to send me a two way message, email message and voice to text message all in one so I can get rid of my pager. I have decided to go with a Blackberry after reading all of the threads an do the two way, email and hopefully when voice to text recognition becomes less expensive than for example phoneline, I can go with it. I am debating between the 7250 and 8370e. I realize that the 8370e has a speaker phone which is a plus and more memory, in addition to phone keys. The 7250 has a larger more comfortable keyboard and a better vibrate function which I need as I am a therapist and most of the time will have the unit turned to vibrate. I can get the 7250 from Verizon currently for free and the 8370e for $100. The money is not the issue. It seems that the 7250 is the more user friendly and better built unit, but I am open to any feedback one cares to offer. I would like to get it tomorrow so any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

kurichan
12-09-2006, 10:00 PM
I just upgraded from the 7250 to the 8703e. I am a power user who depends on my Blackberry for business survival.

I miss the larger keyboard on the 7250 but am getting used to the 8703e very quickly.

The 8703e is zippier, the OS is better (I think that putting OS4.1 in the 7250 is a bad idea), it has the green and red phone buttons and convenience buttons (BIG plus!) and the screen is radically better than the 7250. The 7250 is built like a tank (I must have dropped mine 50 times without anything but cosmetic consequences) but the 8703e seems tough enough. I use the excellent speaker phone all the time now, so that's a big plus for me.

I guess it really comes down to what you use it for. If you are a heavy user and it's mission critical, I'd get the best device you can, which is in my opinion, the 8703e.

But if you're a light user and if you can get the 7250 for free (is that after rebate, or does it include new in two $100 as well?) why not try it and get acclimated, then decide if you want to pay for incremental features? The 8100 or 8800 might be out by the time you want to go to the next step...

My $0.02...

li2327
12-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Wirelessly posted (7130e: BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The 8703e would be a much better choice. I had the 7250 and went to the 7130e because of the screen alone. I plan to get the 8703e because of the full keyboard. I can't wait!

12-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Hi,
If you are a big email user you may be better of with a 7250.
As for your phone set-up. Do you have some type of voice mail system such as call pilot from nortel? If so you could have it set up that an email is sent to you every time you have a new message.

I am in a quandry. My phone system is set up in my office with pager notification that sends a signal to my
audible only pager when a particular voice mail box is
selected by the caller. I am wanting to join the 21st century, however I have yet to find a device that will allow one to send me a two way message, email message and voice to text message all in one so I can get rid of my pager. I have decided to go with a Blackberry after reading all of the threads an do the two way, email and hopefully when voice to text recognition becomes less expensive than for example phoneline, I can go with it. I am debating between the 7250 and 8370e. I realize that the 8370e has a speaker phone which is a plus and more memory, in addition to phone keys. The 7250 has a larger more comfortable keyboard and a better vibrate function which I need as I am a therapist and most of the time will have the unit turned to vibrate. I can get the 7250 from Verizon currently for free and the 8370e for $100. The money is not the issue. It seems that the 7250 is the more user friendly and better built unit, but I am open to any feedback one cares to offer. I would like to get it tomorrow so any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.