PDA

View Full Version : Address/Contacts deployments

jeostang
12-11-2006, 05:42 PM
How many of you guys deploy contacts list to user devices? My company is finally going to have a BES installed, (Thank God). I was talking to a dept head and he would like contact list to be deployed to a selected list of BB users anytime a change occurs.

Wouldn't it be smarter just to have the BB devices to look up addresses thought the GAL?

bradhs
12-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Much better to just use the GAL. I'm not sure there is a way to "deploy" addresses or maintain addresses from a Public Folder. (Which is the way I'd do it.) It would be nice to assign a Public Folder address book to a bunch of users and have those address sync read only.

KOR
12-12-2006, 10:18 AM
jeostang,

I think your options depend on whether or not your BB users also have computers. If they don't, GAL is the best way to go (but remember, you'll probably want someone you trust with GAL information doing updates, not just some admin person). If your users have computers, teach them how to sync Public Folders using the Desktop Manager. Even though the updates they get are not 'realtime', we've found (with ~ 40 BB users & hundreds of employees) that if they synch once a week it's sufficient.

Ciao

RLLD
12-12-2006, 10:32 AM
GAL lookup is the juice, I would encourage this.

If you have a central list that you want to "sync" then the address book cannot be wireless.

takeshi
12-12-2006, 05:14 PM
It makes no sense to me to attempt to push updated contacts lists to devices when GAL lookup is designed specifically to address this. Surely if you can maintain a contacts list you can properly maintain the GAL?

KOR
12-13-2006, 09:48 AM
It makes no sense to me to attempt to push updated contacts lists to devices when GAL lookup is designed specifically to address this. Surely if you can maintain a contacts list you can properly maintain the GAL?

Hey, takeshi.

Sounds like you're only using the GAL lookup and may have some experience in this area. Any thoughts about how to handle contacts that are not in the GAL (like vendors, clients, etc.)? Not having these contacts in the GAL is one of the reasons we push/sync contacts from PFs.

Thanks & Ciao

RLLD
12-13-2006, 10:07 AM
Hey, takeshi.

Sounds like you're only using the GAL lookup and may have some experience in this area. Any thoughts about how to handle contacts that are not in the GAL (like vendors, clients, etc.)? Not having these contacts in the GAL is one of the reasons we push/sync contacts from PFs.

Thanks & Ciao

If you want wireless updates, then i would reccomend everyone maintain their own list in their personal contact list, otherwise, local syn that puppy to a public list.

KOR
12-13-2006, 03:27 PM
If you want wireless updates, then i would reccomend everyone maintain their own list in their personal contact list, otherwise, local syn that puppy to a public list.

Yeah, we're doing a combination of both. Anyone with a PC does a wired sync with Desktop Manager & everyone without gets their personal contacts updated once a week. It works, but not a very elegant solution.