PDA

View Full Version : Very Basics

kahenya
12-13-2006, 02:56 AM
I'm juat bought myself an 8700 from ebay and the guy I bought it from conveniently forgot to tell me that it was locked to Vodafone UK. After I pay some guy a lot of money to unlock it (if this is possible and if so, who knows who?), I will then clean it "head to toe", upgrade the OS and hopefully that will help clear some of the very weird blocks currently on it.

Now this is what I aim to do. All I want from my BB is simple. Connect via GPRS to a POP/IMAP server to do email and connect the browser to work my blog. The network I will be using does not have BB support which is O.K. I have a Nokia 6600 and I am able to simply pop in for email and browse. Is it remotely possibly to have this functionality with BB? Just pop in for email without BES/BIS or am I missing something here?

shaqinsactown
12-13-2006, 04:05 AM
I don't believe any US carrier will sell you a data only plan for use with a blackberry (which they can determine either via the IMEI or ESN) you'll have to get a blackberry data plan of some kind or another.

GPRS is just the protocol that the device uses to connect to the carrier's data band, so if you got that you're good to go to use the web browser to check e-mail.

kahenya
12-13-2006, 10:12 AM
This is not in the US. This is in Africa