PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry Stolen -- What to do to the thief?

fzfrank
12-22-2006, 08:08 AM
My TMO 8700g was stolen from my gym yesterday. Is there anything I can do to prevent the thief from profiting or registering the phone. I called TMO, suspended my service and asked them if they could disable the phone. They said they couldn't. They said the only thing they could do is suspend the service for that SIM card and that if the thief gets a new SIM card he can re-activate the phone?

Is that right?!? I've read posts in this forum about phones being disabled because they were lost or stolen -- is that just for non SIM card phones?

Is there anything else I can do? I didn't password-protect the phone, so he can read all my e-mails and other information but I don't think that's going to cause me too much trouble.

The other thing I will do is PIN the phone periodically over the next several weeks. If I get a delivery confirmation, I will inform the recipient that the phone is stolen, I want it back, it is against the law to purchase stolen merchandise and I am calling the police.

If that doesn't work, maybe I can post the PIN on this forum for some kind of Medieval PIN blast (not that they sent PINs in Medieval times). Let me know if that idea violates forum rules.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

paulbblc
12-22-2006, 08:09 AM
If it was on BES you could have your BES Admin send a kill code to it which would disable it. Thats about it unfortunately. Sorry to hear about your loss.

c13tay
12-22-2006, 08:29 AM
Is it not like a mobile where the provider can do an IMEI block ???

dc/dc
12-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Is it not like a mobile where the provider can do an IMEI block ???

The United States does not have an IMEI black list like the rest of the world unfortunately.

takeshi
12-22-2006, 10:16 AM
Is that right?!? I've read posts in this forum about phones being disabled because they were lost or stolen -- is that just for non SIM card phones?

Has nothing to do with SIM versus non SIM (really GSM versus non GSM) phones and more with the device itself. With a Blackberry, you must be on a BES to have remote administration (which included the remote device kill).

potthoff
12-22-2006, 10:33 AM
I purchased the Stuffback labels for my BB and other portable electronics. I registered them with a large reward, so that POSSIBLY the thief will return them to me. Go to stuffback.com and check it out. They're extremely cheap to get, therefore I suggest getting them.

bertiebassett
12-22-2006, 10:35 AM
If it was on BES you could have your BES Admin send a kill code to it which would disable it. Thats about it unfortunately. Sorry to hear about your loss.

to be specific paulbbc's reference to disable means "wipe all data and return it to boxfresh status". It doesnot prevent the teal leaf (thief) from using the device in the future...

It's a good idea however that RIM should block PIN's on their infrastructure if stolen. I'll add it to my list of topics for when I catchup with the RIM account manager early in the new year...

paulbblc
12-22-2006, 10:38 AM
to be specific paulbbc's reference to disable means "wipe all data and return it to boxfresh status". It doesnot prevent the teal leaf (thief) from using the device in the future...

It's a good idea however that RIM should block PIN's on their infrastructure if stolen. I'll add it to my list of topics for when I catchup with the RIM account manager early in the new year...

Right, thank you for clearing that up a bit bertie. I am still not that familiar with many BES functions.

fzfrank
12-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to try to PIN it over the next several weeks and see what happens. I would love to send this guy to jail for something I'm sure he thinks isn't a big deal.

tsomers
12-22-2006, 12:02 PM
If you set an IT policy to disallow phone, browser, third party software, and a couple of other traffic items, send it to the unit and then use the "wipe all data and return it to box fresh status" command, the phone will be rendered useless.

The IT policy is stored in a different area of the memory and does not get wipe when using the "wipe all data and return it to box fresh status" command. The policy will remain in effect and the user will not be able to use the phone or web browser.

Tom

John Clark
12-22-2006, 12:08 PM
I read where one guy left the service turned on then used the tmobile website to look at where the calls were going to and called the numbers that were being called. He gave the person on the other end (turned out to be a grandma or somebody) a song and dance about how he'd tracked it and was going to call the police if she didn't get it back to him. it worked for him! If TMobile has killed your sim then there's nothing you can do until another sim is put in it and even then it has to be a BB sim with a data plan in order for a pin to go through.

hf1khal
12-22-2006, 12:19 PM
That is why the use of a password on the BB is a great thing, as we all know the wrong password entry for an x amount of times will wipe it. Here is one thing, since the BB pin ID was never removed they wil have a very hard time getting it registered. I wish RIM had some system to dissallow re-registration of units that were reported stolen

secrecyguy
12-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Has nothing to do with SIM versus non SIM (really GSM versus non GSM) phones and more with the device itself. With a Blackberry, you must be on a BES to have remote administration (which included the remote device kill).

Actually, it does.

If the phone uses SIM card than the phone can be used over and over again with different SIM cards. (Cingular & T-mobile)

If the phone does not have a SIM card (Verizon) than the phone can be disable so it can not be used again or be blacklisted as stolen.

apple85
12-22-2006, 12:36 PM
I would have done the afore mentioned! Leave the sim be triangulated where the calls are being made (call the numbers he called and arrange a meeting/trade buyback reward whatever) find the bastard and well lets just say the reward wouldn't be cash it'd be me running up and throwing a couple bunches... I'd also have a friend with me to say he swung first when I refused a reward since it was stolen ;)

Edit:
Lesson learned that 1-5 seconds to enter your password may be annoying but it'll prevent your data from getting out there if they get it wrong 10x's!!

Mahal
12-22-2006, 12:57 PM
I would have done the afore mentioned! Leave the sim be triangulated where the calls are being made (call the numbers he called and arrange a meeting/trade buyback reward whatever) find the bastard and well lets just say the reward wouldn't be cash it'd be me running up and throwing a couple bunches... I'd also have a friend with me to say he swung first when I refused a reward since it was stolen ;)

Edit:
Lesson learned that 1-5 seconds to enter your password may be annoying but it'll prevent your data from getting out there if they get it wrong 10x's!!
Amen! I have always password protected my BB. You get used to putting your password in...

It also helps against nosey girlfriends......

plchan
12-22-2006, 01:09 PM
If your 8700g is on BIS, without you release the PIN, he can't register it with other carrier for the Blackberry service. However, it does not prevent him using the blackberry as a phone alone.

fzfrank
12-22-2006, 02:13 PM
I read where one guy left the service turned on then used the tmobile website to look at where the calls were going to and called the numbers that were being called. He gave the person on the other end (turned out to be a grandma or somebody) a song and dance about how he'd tracked it and was going to call the police if she didn't get it back to him. it worked for him! If TMobile has killed your sim then there's nothing you can do until another sim is put in it and even then it has to be a BB sim with a data plan in order for a pin to go through.

I thought of that, but the TMO CS rep said he couldn't tell whether any numbers had been called. He said I could find out online, but as far as I can tell, that's not true. I guess I have to wait until the end of the billing cycle, check the call details and hope he called grandma. I didn't want to leave the phone on because I was worried he would go over on the minutes, answer my calls (the rep said he couldn't set up call forwarding), or call international numbers.

SteveRoss
12-22-2006, 02:51 PM
Can blackberry limit the calls instead of turning it off. (like not to exceed your plan hours?) Since it was stolen at the gym it's likely it's someone who works out there. I would keep the phone on then call it when you're at the gym and see if anyone's locker rings...or if anyone answers it.

jgb@etree
12-22-2006, 02:51 PM
Dunno about the GSM carriers, but VZW can & will blacklist an ESN for a variety of reasons (account closed and final balance unpaid, lost/stolen phone).

mark0341
12-22-2006, 04:09 PM
Tell Them about BlackBerryForums so they Learn how they can use it.

Tri-Tip
12-22-2006, 07:55 PM
If your 8700g is on BIS, without you release the PIN, he can't register it with other carrier for the Blackberry service. However, it does not prevent him using the blackberry as a phone alone.

The problem is that if he gets a new Blackberry and sets it up on his BES or Blackberry account, that PIN will overwrite the old one.

Berry One
12-22-2006, 08:34 PM
My TMO 8700g was stolen from my gym yesterday. Is there anything I can do to prevent the thief from profiting or registering the phone. I called TMO, suspended my service and asked them if they could disable the phone. They said they couldn't. They said the only thing they could do is suspend the service for that SIM card and that if the thief gets a new SIM card he can re-activate the phone?

Is that right?!?

This is wrong. Keep calling TMO customer support until you can get a competent person. Tell them disable your blackberry. If they say it is not possible- tell them contact RIM. That would be silly if RIM can not stop service for its device reported stolen.

dkf747
12-22-2006, 09:02 PM
Edit:

My question is: Once they enter it 10x and it is wiped, what happens? Does the BB become useless or does it become useable again?

hf1khal
12-22-2006, 09:17 PM
My question is: Once they enter it 10x and it is wiped, what happens? Does the BB become useless or does it become useable again?

Wipes it out. At least all personal data will be protected and will not be in the wrong hands

apple85
12-22-2006, 09:46 PM
enter the wrong password 10x's and all personal data is deleted and the phone will should be like "out of the box." it's just a smart idea... especially if you utilize the password keeper or anything like that. hell just peoples phone numbers is enough reason...

tsac
12-22-2006, 10:44 PM
The try at sending a PIN sounds like a good idea. If it does hit send the email and see what happens. I would also change gym's