PDA

View Full Version : Emails showing up in gibberish

versitycobalt
12-25-2006, 11:43 PM
Hi all. I hope this is the right forum for this issue. I just received my first BLackBerry this last week (8100 via TMO) and have encountered a problem I have never seen on a BlackBerry before. I have been supporting BlackBerrys internally for Verizon Corporate for over 2 years now. And just recently for Verizon Business now as well.

The problem I have is that most of the time that I receive an email from monster.com, it comes in complete gibberish. I'm talking every character available on the keyboard except for the normal A-Z and 0-9.

The email account the emails get sent to is configured on my computer using Outlook 2003 and on my BlackBerry via BIS. I own the mail server and have been able to view the same emails via SquirrelMail and NeoMail just fine as well. The same emails look completely fine in Outlook, but are in gibberish on the handheld. And like I said earlier, it only occurs with emails from Monster.com. Any other emails I get look completely fine.

I thought it might be some sort of encoding issue, but that still wouldn't explain to me why it works some of the time and looks completely fine, to being in complete gibberish.

Anyone familiar with this issue or would like to walk me through troubleshooting this issue? I'm not sure if it's an 8100 issue (which I've never touched before this last week), possibly some sort of thing happening with BIS (I have only ever touched BES before), or something dealing with the newer 4.0+ OS (Verizon only uses 3.x handhelds and BES).

versitycobalt
12-28-2006, 12:35 AM
Anyone have any ideas of what the issue is?

plchan
12-28-2006, 02:22 AM
Hi all. I hope this is the right forum for this issue. I just received my first BLackBerry this last week (8100 via TMO) and have encountered a problem I have never seen on a BlackBerry before. I have been supporting BlackBerrys internally for Verizon Corporate for over 2 years now. And just recently for Verizon Business now as well.

The problem I have is that most of the time that I receive an email from monster.com, it comes in complete gibberish. I'm talking every character available on the keyboard except for the normal A-Z and 0-9.

The email account the emails get sent to is configured on my computer using Outlook 2003 and on my BlackBerry via BIS. I own the mail server and have been able to view the same emails via SquirrelMail and NeoMail just fine as well. The same emails look completely fine in Outlook, but are in gibberish on the handheld. And like I said earlier, it only occurs with emails from Monster.com. Any other emails I get look completely fine.

I thought it might be some sort of encoding issue, but that still wouldn't explain to me why it works some of the time and looks completely fine, to being in complete gibberish.

Anyone familiar with this issue or would like to walk me through troubleshooting this issue? I'm not sure if it's an 8100 issue (which I've never touched before this last week), possibly some sort of thing happening with BIS (I have only ever touched BES before), or something dealing with the newer 4.0+ OS (Verizon only uses 3.x handhelds and BES).

Do you have a screen shot or sample of the email to show us?

Since you can't read the HTML email on your bb, would it because of the monster.com sends the HTML format email to you?

rjw3000
12-28-2006, 05:37 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I got monster job searches sent to my inbox daily and the last couple days they have shown up on my Blackberry as complete gibberish like you are describing, so not sure what is going on with them on the BB.