PDA

View Full Version : disable mds

chriscovington
12-27-2006, 02:11 PM
Hello,

I have a sprint 8703e that I'd like to disable the MDS proxy for when using the browser and other apps, to bypass corporate restrictions so that I can use google mobile, IM, browse websites without authenticating, etc. Does anyone know how I can go about doing this on the 8703e without having to make changes on the BES server? There must be a way because the device when not activated with BES goes directly out.

It's my own personal device that I bought and pay monthly fees for, the IT department did me the favor of setting this up for company email usage with this pitfall.

thanks
Chris

takeshi
12-27-2006, 02:57 PM
If there's an IT policy in effect to disable use of the Internet or WAP browser then you're out of luck as long as your Blackberry is on the BES and as long as it has the IT policy on it. You can't bypass any IT policy. That's the whole point of IT policies and the other device admin tools that come along with BES. Whether or not you purchased the Blackberry is irrelevant in this sort of situation.

Removing your BB from the BES won't automatically remove the IT policy either. You'll need a blank IT policy pushed or you'll have to search to find steps to manually remove it once it's off the BES.

Now, if IT policy doesn't restrict access to the Internet Browser you could use it for the exact purporse you're looking for.

chriscovington
12-27-2006, 03:18 PM
But isn't there an option in certain BB apps like pocketweb, BBweather to either use the MDS proxy or no proxy? Internet browsing isn't disabled, but going to certain sites is. I've worked around the problem by getting Opera Mini, which goes through the BES (MDS) proxy then the Opera proxy and allows me to get to all websites. The gotcha is that I need to use the BB-integrated web browser every so often to login to the company's proxy server or else Opera Mini won't work.

It would be nice if the Google Mobile suite & Opera Mini would allow not using the MDS proxy.

Chris