PDA

View Full Version : Navigation with 7100g and Bluetooth GPS

Bu11d0z3r
04-05-2005, 10:33 AM
Ever since I got my new 7100g in February, I have been looking at a site that claimed to have voice navigation via the GPRS connection on a blackberry when connected to a BT GPS receiver. The company's website is/was http://www.redskymobile.com

I spoke to the sales people about beta testing the service on the Cingular network. They were interested since they had been testing it on all other carriers' networks other than Cingular since they had just started selling them.

A couple of weeks went by and I got around to calling them as I was scheduled to do a bit of traveling (I'm posting this from Manchester in the UK now - Go United!) When I called the sales person he told be that the company had been acquired by RIM about 10 days ago. He said that would signify a significant increase in the availability of navigation-based options for our favorite devices...

Any thoughts?

[updated link] website was down when I originally posted... here is the link to go directly to their blackberry page: http://www.redskymobile.com/blackberry/index.html

TRaymond
04-05-2005, 12:23 PM
I hope it's true! I'd love a GPS solution for the blackberry on the Tmobile network. Bring it on :)

----------
TRaymond

kaptainsunshine
04-05-2005, 03:24 PM
I don't quite see how this is possible since the serial port profile is not available via bluetooth. More power to them if they figured it out...

Mark Rejhon
04-11-2005, 02:06 AM
I don't quite see how this is possible since the serial port profile is not available via bluetooth. More power to them if they figured it out...That's purely a software limitation.

I KNOW that RIM has Bluetooth Serial profile, but you need a high-security cryptographic signing key for your software application, before it turns on the Bluetooth serial profile. (I think it's the $100 key)

In BlackBerryOS 4.0, there are Bluetooth API's for serial profiles.

It simply just takes money, and RIM's approval.... They don't want insecure applications using Bluetooth.

The Bluetooth chip in the BlackBerry essentially can do most profiles, but it's limited for security reasons. RIM won't let software developers use Bluetooth for anything potentially insecure (the government is a big customer of RIM) For example, OBEX is not allowed... That's why you can't transfer phone numbers wirelessly, a security leak danger...

pdutta2000
04-11-2005, 09:42 AM
Don't Nextel blackberrys already have navigation via GPS? Those commericals with all the people buzzing around like bees pretty much shows the technology. If nextel can do, it shouldn't be too hard for the other carriers.

TRaymond
04-11-2005, 10:29 AM
Mark Rejhon gave me this link. I think it's appropriate for this thread as well:

http://www.redskymobile.com/blackberry/index.html

Looks like GPS with 7100 might be very close. I've sent the developer an email asking when it will be ready.. I'll update when I get a response.

----------
TRaymond

jibi
04-11-2005, 12:38 PM
considering RIM has made no public announcement of their purchase, i'd hold off on the acquisition knowledge (from a hesitant point of view, as well as a legal one).

Lonnie
04-11-2005, 04:19 PM
I just leased a Lexus SC430 that is "bluetooth-enabled" for the GPS Navigation system in the car. I'm planning on purchasing a bb 7100g with Cingular service but after reading this thread, I'm not sure if I would have compatibility challenges.

Anyone have any knowledge in this area?

Bu11d0z3r
04-11-2005, 06:00 PM
considering RIM has made no public announcement of their purchase, i'd hold off on the acquisition knowledge (from a hesitant point of view, as well as a legal one).

See the attached e-mail correspondence from Redskymobile to myself...

Hello XXXX

Thankyou for your interest.

Our software is currently in beta over 3 carrier’s networks. Post beta we will be bringing the application one carrier at a time.

The cost will be $99 for the app. and a year’s map service for North America.

Is your app. requirement basic navigation or do you need tracking or the like of the BlackBerrys?

Which carrier supplied your 7100s?

Bill Murphy
RedSky Mobile
Tel: +1.408.307.4957
Fax: +1.613.482.4585
Email: bmurphy@<hidden>
Web: www.redskymobile.com

During a subsequent conversation with Bill on 3/31, he informed me that all development and beta testing has been halted due to their acquisition by RIM.

He has since left the company due to the RIM transaction.

jibi
04-11-2005, 06:04 PM
That is fine. However, your spreading news about an acquisition by a publically traded company is against SEC regulations (albeit, a very minor offense unless you are involved with one of the two companies - which is why having dude's personal information is a bad idea... hint). Hence why I said to cut out the rumor mill until it becomes public domain.

:-)

sbkim
04-13-2005, 09:50 AM
I hope this hasn't been covered before but I am in process of getting a new portable GPS system with bluetooth. It allows you to take calls using the GPS via bluetooth assuming you have bluetooth enabled phone. Would this function be supported by 7100t?

Thanks!

Mark Rejhon
04-13-2005, 10:14 AM
Strange. I may call RedSky Mobile later this week and ask for some official information.

I'll probably have to look up SEC rules or ask an SEC expert, since that is indeed a good question. RedSky is a private company as far as I know, one that is extremely small, which might be different. Not sure. But I don't want anything illegal on these forums (If any lawyers are reading this, please inform me immediately by PM or email via my website).