PDA

View Full Version : Weird T-Mo 8700g OS 4.1.0.346 glitch w/ AutoText!

Jack T. Chance
12-30-2006, 12:21 PM
This past Tuesday, I downloaded and installed T-Mobile's latest 8700g OS, version 4.1.0.346. Everything seemed fine for a couple days, and then I noticed something very very odd. I was typing a message, and when I typed the word "no", the :bb: AutoText converted it to the phrase "pot no pot"! WTF? :-?

Checking my AutoText settings and comparing them against my Nextel :bb: 7520's settings, I discovered that most of my AutoText settings are NOT in English! :-o

Even though I d/led and installed the English language version of the software, the new OS installed foreign (possibly Spanish) settings! Here's some examples of the screwy settings:algn (algun)
alla (allà)
alli (allí)
alter (altre)
auria (hauria)
axo (això)
bolen (volen)
como (com)
della (d'ella)
dunar (donar)and it goes on like that. WTF? :-?

I'm even having to type this message on my painfully slow (data speedwise) Nextel :bb: 7520, because it's the only way I could type out the settings above without AutoText "correcting" what I typed! :-x

I've tried going on my PC, doing a complete clean uninstall of the :bb: software, then did a clean install of Desktop Manager 4.2 and OS 4.1.0.346, making absolutely sure to always select the language as "English (USA)". I then did a wipe of my handheld's data and a fresh installation, to no avail. Those screwy foreign settings installed again! :-x

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, is there a fix for it, or am I just going to have to roll back the OS? :-?

Any help on this is appreciated. And I searched before posting this, but couldn't find any other mention of the problem. :-(

drewdinardo
12-30-2006, 05:52 PM
Just noticed this last night; I thought i did something wrong; after reading your message, I notice that my autotext is not in english! I COULD USE HELP AS WELL...............

drewdinardo
12-30-2006, 06:09 PM
I just found out you can atleast turn off autotext for sms messages..
in options click sms and then turn it off. May work until a fix comes out

drewdinardo
12-30-2006, 06:16 PM
looking over the autotext, you will probably never type any of these combinations in english. Just update no to type no and you should be fine until we get a fix. You may want to also just delete the 'a' autotext...

drew

mymitsu3kgt
12-31-2006, 12:24 AM
.346 is crap, you should just go back to .284, that's what I did.

John Clark
12-31-2006, 12:49 AM
.346 is crap, you should just go back to .284, that's what I did.

Bharti and Cingular both have newer versions than .346. Why not give them a try?

mymitsu3kgt
12-31-2006, 12:58 AM
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I like to stay with the OS provided by the service provider in case they actually have the radio code set to work better with the service it's meant for. Also, .284 worked so perfectly for me (after unlocking ZEN), I don't know why I switched in the first place. I guess I was just hoping there would be upgrades. I also heard somewhere that .346 limits tethering speeds, NOT COOL!

Jack T. Chance
12-31-2006, 01:01 AM
Bharti and Cingular both have newer versions than .346. Why not give them a try?Couple reasons: My 8700g is on T-Mobile, not Bharti or Cingular! :-P
I have zero experience editing/hacking/whatever those files from other carriers to make them work on mine.
What little free time I have to tinker with the :bb: is being spent trying to get the tethered modem function working. Probably gonna have to call T-Mo customer service and have them help me. :-(That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

betabob
12-31-2006, 01:08 PM
Go into "settings" and change you default language to "english" from whatever it currently happens to be - in my case that was "english (United States)". When I did this it reset all of the autotext back to what it should be.

Jack T. Chance
12-31-2006, 04:41 PM
Go into "settings" and change you default language to "english" from whatever it currently happens to be - in my case that was "english (United States)". When I did this it reset all of the autotext back to what it should be.Yeah, I just figured this out myself. I backed up all my data EXCEPT the AutoText settings (using the Advanced Options for backup). I'm back on the earlier OS with a clean install. After installing only the OS, I checked and the AutoText was on the standard US English settings. Restored my data from my backup, and that screwy foreign crap was back! :-x

So, I went into Options and looked at the Language settings. THAT's when I discovered the culprit: Input Method had somehow been changed to "català"... Whatever the heck that is. I changed the option to english (United States) and everything's like it should be, problem solved. 8-)

Thanks for the assistance guys. :-)

And happy New Year, everyone! If you're partying tonight, party responsibly! And if you MUST drink & drive, DRINK PEPSI (or Coca-Cola)! ;-)

dkf747
01-01-2007, 08:55 AM
I had that happen too. I thought it was just me. Nowo that I see others have it, I wonder is 346 has thw wrong language set as default?

Chris Barnett
01-11-2007, 01:48 AM
To fix this problem, go to Language, and make sure Input Method is set to "english(United States)".

Mine was set to catala by default, so my autotext was full of spanish or portugese or something. Now its normal again. I have an 8700g on Tmobile with the latest software version.