PDA

View Full Version : Telus, Rogers or other providers? Future of a public MDS/MDG

Tom
08-15-2004, 12:29 PM
Anyone know when and if any of these providers will get the point and introduce a public MDS/MDG??

Mark Rejhon
08-19-2004, 03:35 AM
Definitely. I know my carrier is testing "Blackberry Internet Connection" (Public MDS/MDG).

I don't know when it will be out but it should be relatively soon (hopefully next month, but no later than a few months from now)

Tom
08-19-2004, 07:17 AM
Definitely. I know my carrier is testing "Blackberry Internet Connection" (Public MDS/MDG).

I don't know when it will be out but it should be relatively soon (hopefully next month, but no later than a few months from now)

Well, I just found out that they are testing MDS from Blackberrys Web Client side of things :D Should be released along with 4.0 :D

finch
08-25-2004, 04:03 PM
I was told Rogers offers MDS for an additional $5 a month.

ScOObydoo
08-25-2004, 04:14 PM
I'm more interested in the future of current third party BES providers, once operators start offering BWC with MDS what purpose will they serve other than providing Exchange mail...

Tom
08-25-2004, 04:47 PM
I'm more interested in the future of current third party BES providers, once operators start offering BWC with MDS what purpose will they serve other than providing Exchange mail...

Absolutely none, besides offering largers mailboxes. I predict that most third party BES providers will either discontinue blackberry service and follow another path, or they will simply go out of business.

finch
08-26-2004, 12:56 PM
Exactly none. Right now it's seems to be an easy cash grab for the eOutlook and Mailstreet's of the world. I'm shocked the the carriers haven't jumped on the MDS bandwagon quicker? It seems to be an esay sell plus there's a good size demand for it.

Tom
08-26-2004, 02:31 PM
Exactly none. Right now it's seems to be an easy cash grab for the eOutlook and Mailstreet's of the world. I'm shocked the the carriers haven't jumped on the MDS bandwagon quicker? It seems to be an esay sell plus there's a good size demand for it.

Well, there isnt as much cash in it as you would think. MailStreet and eOutlook are using Exchange servers, while myblackberry.us is using an actual BES server, all of that, with user liscences and all can get pretty pricey.

Public MDS is the way to go, and it should of been implemented a long time ago, but I dont think anyone realized the demand and potential.

Mark Rejhon
08-26-2004, 10:50 PM
finch,

">>I was told Rogers offers MDS for an additional $5 a month."

Really? REALLY? I'd like to sign up. How?

headtailgrep
09-12-2004, 07:43 PM
no shit? How come no one knows about this =)

Either way, i guess it's free now...

i would have paid for that.. at $5/month!

emale
09-12-2004, 08:05 PM
Rogers already does BES hosting

BestBuy canada is hosted on Rogers BES servers from what Ive been told from a friend who is a store manager for BB canada