PDA

View Full Version : Help me configure my lifestyle

el73
01-04-2007, 11:44 AM
I'd like a recommendation on a setup that works best- here's my goals/situation:

Personal 8100 on Cingular
BES access through my work (they allow personal BBs)
Although my IT dept says they should work, I can't get gmail or gmaps working because of the it policy
The main draw of BES is calendar syncing... email is secondary to me- it's nice, and I like it, but It's more about having calendar events.
(related)- I don't like seeing reminders like "pick up son from school early" popping up on desktop at work

So, I'm wondering if I should use desktop manager at home to sync my Outlook calendar (although I use Opera's M2 as my email client, not Outlook) and have have the BES policy removed and just keep my BB personal.

I'm just having a hard time figuring out the best solution. I would prefer to have the gmail app running. I'm not sure exactly how BES tracks my usage and all that, so I wouldn't be too upset if I didn't have BES. But on the other hand, it is nice having email and I don't mind having my contacts sync'd with work, just my calendar.

decisions, decisions...

gadgetfanatic
01-04-2007, 12:27 PM
this may be the most pitiful post I've ever read. Help me configure my lifestyle!!!!!!! Are you effing kidding me. If you can't "configure" your own lifestyle, you will never have one.

John Clark
01-04-2007, 12:31 PM
this may be the most pitiful post I've ever read. Help me configure my lifestyle!!!!!!! Are you effing kidding me. If you can't "configure" your own lifestyle, you will never have one.

That's a little harsh, don't you think?

blakeatl
01-04-2007, 01:28 PM
That's a little harsh, don't you think?

But funny! He needs to figure out what he wants first. First he wants BES, then he doesn't care if he has it.

el73
01-04-2007, 02:50 PM
gadgetfanatic- It's pitiful that you actually think I'm referring to my "lifestyle" in the literal sense. If so, my response to you is...."LOL! You're effing kidding me! You're a *talking* BlackBerry encyclopedia (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb3419/is_199506/ai_n8183985)?!?!" Oh- I got an idea! You and I- we can start up a clinic for "Blackberry Addicts"

blakeatl
I thought the "what I want" part was all that post was! I want a personal calendar that easy to use on a handset and syncs with a desktop, I don't like marking all my personal events "private." Of course, I like getting work email and work calendars, but this is *my* personal blackberry, not my works. I got BES because I could, and because Treo users (with Good) recommended that I should in order to get calendar events.

BES is a technology (implementation)... instead of saying "I want BES... then I don't" I'd rather say to the forum: "Look, this is what I'd like to do..." and see if there might be a better way. It's just nice to hear how people have managed to balance work and personal use.

Example- I have a gmail account, I can BIS push gmail, or I can install google mobile, or I can get there with a browser- but if my goal is to always be alerted to my gmails, wouldn't you recommend the BIS push over the others?

blakeatl
01-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Only thing I would recommend BES for is if you want to wirelessly sync your calendar. If you're not too concerned about it being done wirelessly......BIS will do.