PDA

View Full Version : 8703e already pushes the limit, the 8800 has just got to be too narrow!

kurichan
01-06-2007, 11:23 PM
I think the 8800 is going to be too narrow to be useful as an e-mail device.

The 7250 was PERFECT.

The 8703e is barely tolerable - actually really too narrow.

I'm thinking the 8800 is going to be too narrow.

Thoughts?

koleary19067
01-06-2007, 11:34 PM
I love the 8703e and dont think its to narrow. But also, I have small hands.

John Clark
01-06-2007, 11:38 PM
A lot of people thought that about the Pearl too....It seems to be doing alright. I love mine. I send a lot of emails, too.

greggebhardt
01-07-2007, 08:11 AM
I think the 8800 is going to be too narrow to be useful as an e-mail device.

The 7250 was PERFECT.

I'm thinking the 8800 is going to be too narrow.

Thoughts?

NOT. I had no trouble using the tiny Pearl. I adjusted to the size of the keyboard quickly but hated suretype.

The 8900 is be the best ever so do not bet that it is too small.

vickirutt
01-07-2007, 09:22 AM
the 7520 is perfect I think for emails...but I think you can get use to using all of them..

cmpugh
01-07-2007, 10:20 AM
I remember reading a post from a tester of the 8800/8900, and he seemed to think that it was easier to use than the 8700... I don't think the spacing is the issue... the shape is what matters.

backbeat
01-07-2007, 06:08 PM
I remember reading a post from a tester of the 8800/8900, and he seemed to think that it was easier to use than the 8700... I don't think the spacing is the issue... the shape is what matters.

Key spacing and contact surface design matter. The OP has a valid point, as the dim specs for the 8800 are as close to the Treo's as RIM has ever gotten. The Treo's keyboard, in both key spacing and contact surface design terms, is unusable for anything beyond short messages, unless you have small-ish hands/fingers.

The design of the Pearl's keypad is irrelevant to this discussion because it is SureType, which maintains a traditional cellphone keypad layout, and will always be 'easy access'. If you can dial a phone number on a cellphone, you can use a Pearl (if you can tolerate the SureType method).

One thing can be certain, the sales of 3rd-party spell checkers will skyrocket with the 8800's introduction. :-o

cmpugh
01-07-2007, 10:52 PM
I was simply making the comment from what the original user of the 8800 had said. I personally can't comment as I have yet to hold or use it...

albiesf
01-07-2007, 11:12 PM
The 8703e does have a smaller keyboard and my guess is that the 8800 will have a similar sized keyboard. Anything smaller regardless of shape will make it unusable for daily email use. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough. At this point, I'm hoping the reality lives up the hype.

backbeat
01-07-2007, 11:41 PM
The 8703e does have a smaller keyboard and my guess is that the 8800 will have a similar sized keyboard. Anything smaller regardless of shape will make it unusable for daily email use.

The 8700 is 9mm wider than the 8800 (69mm vs 60mm) according to all specification reports. Keys will be more narrow, and/or less space between keys.

brittonx
01-07-2007, 11:47 PM
You also have to allow for an adjustment period. I used a 7520 for over a year before switching to the 8700c. For the first week or so I thought the keyboard was too small. Now, I love it. My wife has a 7520 still and when I use it the keyboard feels too spread out ;)

Impaler80s
01-08-2007, 12:10 AM

Thoughts?

How so? I've owned several Nextel BBs, and I have to say, they were awfully thick. I don't seem to understand what you mean. I mean, I'm more concerned with how wide they are, with the full keyboard.

albiesf
01-08-2007, 12:22 AM
The 8700 is 9mm wider than the 8800 (69mm vs 60mm) according to all specification reports. Keys will be more narrow, and/or less space between keys.

Oops, what I meant was that the 8700's keyboard is smaller that previous BBs except the 7130 which I should have clarified. I agree with you that by all accounts the 8800 will be narrower and the keys more tightly packed. It really does comes down to finger size and personal usability for better or worse.

John Clark
01-08-2007, 12:35 AM
In the end some like it big, some like it small. Some like QWERTY some like SureType. Some like big keys close together, some like small keys spread out. What might be good for one person may not be good for the other. It's nice that there's a variety of BB's out there for everyone.

I'm unsubscribing from this thread.

kasperapd
01-08-2007, 01:37 AM
In the end some like it big, some like it small. Some like QWERTY some like SureType. Some like big keys close together, some like small keys spread out. What might be good for one person may not be good for the other. It's nice that there's a variety of BB's out there for everyone.

I'm unsubscribing from this thread.

Well said John.

backbeat
01-08-2007, 01:42 PM

Agreed. Except for the part about 'big keys close together'. Unsure of what you're describing there. 'Small keys spread out' = 6xxx/7xxx-series?

Nothing wrong in speaking of each model in hard, factual terms, as they each appeal to a differing demographic. If anyone believes this dampens potential sales or growth for RIM, they're deluded. Diversification is RIM's plan, afterall, and for very good reason.

peterparker123
01-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but from briefly seeing the Q and Blackjack it seems like they have the same wideness but they seem thinner. Which gives the illusion of being a sleeker product.

BMWLotAttendant
01-08-2007, 08:01 PM
How do you even know that? I don't think you can say that untill you have the 8800 physically in your hand comparing it with the 8703.

I think it should be just fine. A little wider than the 8100 because of full QWERTY, but just as thin and just as cool.

oester
01-08-2007, 09:15 PM
I moved from 7290->8700->8100. Each time the keys got closer together.

After a few weeks of use, I've gotten used to the key spacing on the 8100.

newyowker
01-08-2007, 11:04 PM
I don't think it'll be much of a problem once you get used to it.

backbeat
01-09-2007, 12:57 AM
I don't think it'll be much of a problem once you get used to it.

Sure. For those with small enough hands/fingers and male-length fingernails. 8-)

takeshi
01-09-2007, 10:26 AM
I don't see how people are assessing the 8800's usability without even actually using the device. I expect a period of adjustment like there was with the 8700 when it was newly released. However,I can't imagine that the 8800 would be totally unusable. I guess there are people that will gripe no matter what gets changed.... and I guess there's not much point for me in reading a thread that consists about imagined complaints (but to each his own).

The design of the Pearl's keypad is irrelevant to this discussion because it is SureType, which maintains a traditional cellphone keypad layout, and will always be 'easy access'.
Since when are cell phone keypads 5 keys wide with two letters per key?

backbeat
01-09-2007, 10:58 AM
I don't see how people are assessing the 8800's usability without even actually using the device. I expect a period of adjustment like there was with the 8700 when it was newly released. However,I can't imagine that the 8800 would be totally unusable. I guess there are people that will gripe no matter what gets changed.... and I guess there's not much point for me in reading a thread that consists about imagined complaints (but to each his own).

Complaints or specifications? :oops:

For the record, I hope RIM sells the hell out of the 88/8900, but to its proper demographic. Otherwise, those who are buying their first Blackberry will suffer buyer's remorse and will slam RIM if the 88/8900 was presented as being something it cannot deliver. I chafe at the notion some imply that the 88/8900 is the end-all for all consumers. No single device is. Taking such a position actually hurts sales revenue in the relative longterm of a device's (short) lifetime.

Since when are cell phone keypads 5 keys wide with two letters per key?

In the manner in which I've laid out the facts and my opinion based upon those facts, I've never stated that cellphones are 5 keys wide, etc. What I have stated is that the formfactor of the Pearl's key-size and shape are most similar to traditional cellphones. This thread is based on the function of design. Since SureType is more akin to T9 than to QWERTY, it's design and function are a separate topic.