PDA

View Full Version : Sprint Connection Manager Problem-anyone have this problem

new_girl8703e
01-07-2007, 05:36 PM
I'm another newbie and I want to use my phone as a modem for my laptop. I am with sprint and have an 8703e. I have windows XP. I connect fine to the blackberry desktop manager and I have successfully downloaded the Sprint PCS Connection manager for phone as a modem and chosen the blackberry drivers option.

My problem is that the sprint connection manager does not recognize my plugged in blackberry. It says "please connect phone" even though my phone is connected to my laptop and registers as such in the desktop manager. I called sprint blackberry support and they had me uninstall and reinstall as the first time I installed the connection manager I had my blackberry plugged into my laptop during the installation process. That didnt work and the connection manager still doesnt recognize my blackberry as plugged in and sprint BB support is out of suggestions.

Does anyone have any tips for success? This is driving me crazy!! Thanks!!

kayos72
01-07-2007, 05:40 PM
are you keeping desktop manager open and connected then launch the modem program?
thats what I have to do.

new_girl8703e
01-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Yes, I am keeping the desktop manager open and connected before selecting the connection manager. I am running out of ideas- I have no idea why its not acknowledging my phone.

kayos72
01-07-2007, 05:46 PM
sorry hoped I could help. someone else should be along to help soon

new_girl8703e
01-07-2007, 05:48 PM

Bradhar911
01-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Have you tried closing Desktop Manager before running the modem software?

scaredpoet
01-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Yeah, my desktop manager is always off before connecting.

I've also found that in my case, the first connection attempt never "takes." I always get an error 867 Connection already in use, or something along those lines. After I wait a few seconds, the phone is re-recognized, and I can then connect successfully.

Provisioning should not be a problem, as the Sprint Blackberry plan automatically includes the tethering capability.

denvernoob
01-08-2007, 09:54 AM
go to the link to blackberryFAQ.com above, and about 1/2way down the screen, you will see instructions for blackberry as a modem. follow the sprint specific instructions and you will be there! it involves you using the laptop connection manager to create a connection, not sprint's software. I have done it that way and it works great!

LarryHMA
01-08-2007, 10:10 AM
go to the link to blackberryFAQ.com above, and about 1/2way down the screen, you will see instructions for blackberry as a modem. follow the sprint specific instructions and you will be there! it involves you using the laptop connection manager to create a connection, not sprint's software. I have done it that way and it works great!

That is not necessarily true. I use the SPRINT PCS connection manager with my laptop and it works just fine. Like someone else mentioned, close the DM before trying to connect the the Sprint PCS software.

new_girl8703e
01-08-2007, 12:18 PM
I believe I have tried to connect to the connection manager with the desktop manager closed but I will double check that and try that suggestion.

If that doesnt work, I will uninstall the BB Desktop manager and the Sprint connection manager and re isntall and try the process again. Someone on another board tried that and it worked out (but at one point they had been able to connect to the connection manager before having problems).

My fear is that something isnt configured right on my BB itself which is making it undetectable to the Sprint Connection Manager. However, I guess since my BB Desktop manager is connecting to my BB, that doesnt make sense....

From googling this issue it seems that a lot of people have had problems with the sprint connection manager.

Thanks for the help- I will conquer this if its the last thing I do!

southwestcomm
01-08-2007, 01:33 PM
There are some known issues with the Sprint Connection Manager and the Desktop Software. here is an easy way to set it up.

Livelink - Redirection (http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/8021/7925/8142/Connecting_a_computer_to_the_Internet_using_a_CDMA_BlackBerry_device_as_a_tethered_modem.html?nodeid=1162633&vernum=0)

new_girl8703e
01-08-2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks very much for the link. I will try that when I get home and I will be keeping my fingers crossed!

jcrawfor
01-08-2007, 06:01 PM
I have spent a lot of time on the phone with Sprint Blackberry Support and Sprint "Advanced Technical Support Group" (or Ren - at least I think that is her name).

The trick is - do not follow the instructions.

Install the Sprint Connection Manager Software version 3.01.032 first.

Next install Blackberry Desktop 4.1.1.9.

Another thing that happens if you follow the directions and install desktop first is a application error (in SCPM.exe) will be generated everytime you close the Connection Manager.

Oh yeah, if your phone randomly starts doing a DUN #678 - log into your PCS Web Manager Portal and change your Vision password. That one took me 4 weeks to figure out...

I hope this helps,
Jeff

new_girl8703e
01-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Thank you all for bearing with me. Still no dice. I have tried everyone's suggestions. I uninstalled and reinstalled Connection Manager (CM) and then Desktop Manager (DM). I tried every permutation of opening one program before the other and then connecting the phone, etc.

I called Sprint BB support and the lady said I didnt have EVDO. She put it on my phone on Saturday and I was supposed to be up and running. Still the DM recognizes my phone as connected but the CM tells me to "connect my phone" even though its connected. I just tried a hard reboot of my phone and it didnt help. Now that I have EVDO I could uninstall DM and CM again, I guess. I am just doubtful that it will make a difference.

I also tried the dial up instructions and I get an Error 680 "no dial tone". A big part of the reason I went with the BB is for the phone as a modem feature. I guess its back to Sprint support to hope that someone there has a clue. Thx for listening to this rant! (n)

rtv900
01-15-2007, 10:13 PM
I cannot get it to work for me either. Very frustrating.

southwestcomm
01-16-2007, 12:28 AM
I recommend un-installing Desktop Manager completely - including registry entries with Reg Edit. If you follow the instructions from the link I posted it should work - did for me.