PDA

View Full Version : Disconnection problems and solutions Ramble/jmIRC

newyowker
01-10-2007, 02:20 PM
I have a 8703e with Sprint EVDO service. Ramble as well as jmIRC constantly disconnect me. I noticed that this happens very often when using applications that do not filter through RIM's servers since applications that filter through RIM disconnect and reconnect without any notice and then grab the messages that were sent while the user was disconnect such as with Google talk. Are there any likely causes such as frequency/cell switching? I know a lot of people also get disconnected often from these services but does anyone not get disconnected? Just wondering what other people's experiences are with these applications. Thanks!

rkkeller
01-10-2007, 02:35 PM
I have that problem with Ramble but never with RIM Yahoo. I cant use Ramble, which I liked, for this reason. You never know if your going to be signed in the next time you go to use it.

I dont know if RIM Yahoo just reconnects better or never disconnects but I have never noticed not being connected.

newyowker
01-10-2007, 02:39 PM
I have that problem with Ramble but never with RIM Yahoo. I cant use Ramble, which I liked, for this reason. You never know if your going to be signed in the next time you go to use it.

I dont know if RIM Yahoo just reconnects better or never disconnects but I have never noticed not being connected.

I'm pretty sure both RIM Google talk and Yahoo reconnect without the user noticing. When ever I loose my signal and then get it back, all the messages that were sent to me while I was disconnected flood into the IMs. It appears that RIM will hold the messages on their servers until your bb reconnects. That's why it seems like the Blackberry doesn't always have the most stable connection but with programs that route through RIM, it's not noticed.

headtailgrep
01-12-2007, 08:48 AM
newyorker.... send me a PM -- i'll send you a version of JMIRC that has a disconnect bug fixed. Are you on BES? JMIRC does not work properly on BES and disconnects. However, on non-BES it's almost perfect with the patch applied..