PDA

View Full Version : Changing time between checking email

fluidimagery
01-14-2007, 10:43 PM
Is there a way to change the length of time between checking email on the 8707? I believe the default is 5 minutes.

NJBlackBerry
01-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Blackberrys do not poll. There is not a set time for them to "check" because they don't check. All e-mail is pushed to a BlackBerry. BES mail is constantly (near real time) being pushed. BIS pushes every 15 minutes or thereabouts. Forwarding directly to the BB e-mail address is real time.

fluidimagery
01-14-2007, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the reply.

The email is setup through BIS so like you mentioned get checked every 15 minutes. I'm asking if you can change that limit. From what you're saying there's no way to change it, but if she were to forward the email address to her given blackberry address it would be near instantaneously.

NJBlackBerry
01-14-2007, 10:58 PM
That's correct. There is no way to change the BIS polling time, and forwarding is near real time.

bsdmixmasters
02-11-2007, 07:37 PM
I setup forwarding on my BB 8700c from my ucla email account (imap) to my BB account and it works well in that I receive emails instantly, as compared to the 15 minutes I used to have to wait, BUT when I read/ delete an email on my BB it remains unread on the server, is there anyway to change this that anyone knows of?

takeshi
02-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Nope. You can't get full reconciliation without BES.

bsdmixmasters
02-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Nope. You can't get full reconciliation without BES.
That's to bad. Its one thing I really liked when using chattermail on all my treos.

Dubdub
02-11-2007, 10:24 PM
I think the way BB does it is really good. If the sender has to have near real time contact, they can call. I think we are all getting too fixated on having things right now, when in reality, it is OK to wait a few minutes.

Just think of how things were 5 years ago. Very few cell phones, very few email hand held email devices. Much simpler!

bsdmixmasters
02-11-2007, 10:30 PM
You have apoint but I would much rather communicate than make a phone call.

Aroc
02-12-2007, 08:45 AM
I think the way BB does it is really good. If the sender has to have near real time contact, they can call. I think we are all getting too fixated on having things right now, when in reality, it is OK to wait a few minutes.

Just think of how things were 5 years ago. Very few cell phones, very few email hand held email devices. Much simpler!

why should this make one ounce of difference when it comes to someones needs and wants? There is nothing wrong with wanting achieve best of breed wireless email. Don't make judgement calls for everyone else. In some industries minutes count. i need to adapt to my clients' and customers' (and subordinates' and superiors') need. The BB + notebook computer let me do that quite effectively. It builds more value. We're making more money and are far more global and mobile now.

5 years ago != to today
(notice the not equals sign).

the other luddites and industry pudits (not worth the bandwidth their written drivel consumes) can go have a pity party elsewhere.

Aroc
02-12-2007, 09:05 AM
That's to bad. Its one thing I really liked when using chattermail on all my treos.

I agree. Chatter mail (and VersaMail) were OK, but BES is better since the updates are automatic, pushed, and always running (and the battery life when doing so is better). But I agree the BES and BIS solutions are lacking the utmost flexibility we're used to with PCs.

Really the reconciliation is up to the email vendors. I get one-way reconciliation from hotmail and my cox cable email. I get two-way from my free yahoo account. Right now I still have my GMail set up to forward to my BIS email using a filter. But I here there may be two way reconciliation of cingular BIS and GMail now. MY free yahoo comes it at immediate push speeds. So it is possible.

I say complain to you email provider. I think the magic requirement is to make some sort of agreement with the carrier (OWA access?). The you have near-BES quality email.

My $0.02