PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble connecting 7780 to desktop manager

cwilson
01-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Hi,
I'l a new blackberry user. I picked up a 7780 from ebay. I'm not subscribed for the data service, I really only wanted it for the phone and to sync with MS outlook address book & calander. I have my cingular sim card in it, and the phone works fine (makes / receives calls). I downloaded the desktop manager from blackberry.com. It synced for a little while connected via USB to my laptop, but on the next reboot, it stopped syncing. Now when I connect it, I get a message balloon (MS WINXP) stating the device is not recognized. I've tried the Desktop manager versions 3.6, 4.0 & 4.2. Seems the driver isn't loaded. I have the same issue when connecting with my desktop. I have the connection settings set to USB.

In short, the computer recogized the BB one time. Now the CPU sees a USB device has been connected, but doesn't recognize its a BB.

Generally speaking, I'm pretty technical, but new to the blackberry world. Am I way off base or missing something?

Any help is appreciated.
Chris

John Clark
01-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Welcome to the forums,

There are a couple things to try.

First make sure you're not plugging into a hub. The BB needs to be connected directly to the computer.

Second, make sure that the computer is not powering off the device. Go to device manager in WinXP and go to Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Then for each instance of USB Root Hub make sure under Power Management that the box that says "allow the computer to turn off the device to save power" is not checked.

If that doesn't work, then you may need to do a complete removal (http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-software/25937-how-perform-clean-uninstall-reinstall-blackberry-desktop-software.html?highlight=uninstall+desktop+manager) of
Desktop Manager and reinstall it. Use the latest version 4.2 available at blackberry.com.

Hope this helps...

cwilson
01-16-2007, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the reply John,

I'm using the USB ports on my desktop. I have 8 and have tried them all. I uninstalled the Desktop manager completely per the link you provided, registeded the atl.dll file, restarted, and reinstalled version 4.2. Still got nothing.

I didn't see the "allow the computer to turn off the device to save power" setting in the device manager. I have a feeling that isn't it, since the computer is recognizing something was connected.

Are there any settings in the BB that need attention? does The Desktop manager still support the 7780? I know it;s outdated, but is it that outdated?

Chris