PDA

View Full Version : What makes the BlackBerry have great email capabilities?

The MVPlaya
01-16-2007, 11:19 AM
I know that BB does offer push email, but doesn't Windows Mobile 5.0 offer the same?

murpheous
01-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Allegedly......

The BB actually works.

rtv900
01-16-2007, 11:31 AM
I have used both. I had a blackberry and then I went away and used all of the fancy phones and none of them are stable. They are at first but once you start using all of the features they start to slide into never never land.

I am back to the blackberry and happy as ever. When I get an email it comes right through. With the Windows units the email might come and then again it might not. I did not like that program.

I have an 8703e and I am happy as ever. No more windows for me.

cmpugh
01-16-2007, 11:33 AM
As one who went from the 7130e to the MotoQ (so ashamed - only used it for 4 days before returning it and going back to the 7130e), I can say from experience that Blackberry's push service is far superior to that of anything else.

I don't care what anyone else says (flame me if you want) but any POP or IMAP account has to be polled by a WM device; where GMAIL, and YAHOO are instantaneous with a Blackberry.

The platform is so much more stable...

martin_j001
01-16-2007, 11:44 AM
BB is simply better at email. I too tried other solutions--phone with data capabilities, phone tethered to pda for data, Symbain s60 smartphones--they all pale in comparison to bb for email.... BB makes it very easy to set up and use its services too--you don't even need a computer to configure it to start pulling in your pop3 email....

takeshi
01-16-2007, 11:52 AM
I know that BB does offer push email, but doesn't Windows Mobile 5.0 offer the same?
I'd say the real key that all "Blackberry killers" constantly overlook is the underlying RIM infrastructure. Granted, the stability and battery life are huge pluses on the device itself but the Blackberry-killer-wannabees spend too much time focusing on the bells and whistles on their handhelds and not enough on the backend.

rtv900
01-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Takeshi,

Well said. The blackberry is stable for many reasons and the RIM infrastructure is key.

VickyPaz
01-16-2007, 01:16 PM
I have to say though that my sister has a Sidekick and her email works very well. She even has separate 'inbox' and 'sent' folders and gets her emails fast and reliably. She is using a TM email address though and not her regular earthlink address so I don't know if that makes a difference. On my BB I use my work email address and it works like a dream. The Sidekick is cute tho :-)

martin_j001
01-16-2007, 01:56 PM
^^I've heard good things about the SK too, but can't envision myself carrying one at all. It doesn't come off as a "business" device at all, more like a toy--IMO. And besides that, we all know how little security goes into protecting the info on a SideKick too.... :)

Hacker penetrates T-Mobile systems (http://www.securityfocus.com/news/10271)
Paris Hilton's cell phone hacked? | CNET News.com (http://news.com.com/Paris+Hiltons+cell+phone+hacked/2100-7349_3-5584691.html)

Nahmeanz
01-16-2007, 02:25 PM
I had the sidekick for years before I got a bb. The sidekick's push email is pretty good when it actually works. But when Danger's servers are down, you won't have your email for days, literally days. Also, there's a 6mb limit, I can go through 6mb in an hour. Nothing beats the SK for AIM tho.

NJBlackBerry
01-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Both WM5 and the BB have push e-mail and they both work. You need specific infrastructure to make it work. I had both - a Nokia E61 using Windows push e-mail (not WM5 - Windows push) and an 8700 (at the time). Love the form factor of the E61 (and the WiFi) but the OS was so slow....

aiharkness
01-16-2007, 07:16 PM

Push email is only part of the package.

You asked what makes BB email great? In my opinion, it is the whole package, including reliability, that makes BB email and the BB great. The BB has never let me down. It is simple, efficiently designed, always on, and I can count on it.

I don't know much about windows mobile anymore, nor anything about the current devices. Windows mobile, when I used to use it, let me down. I won't go back. That's all there is to it, in my opinion.

VickyPaz
01-17-2007, 01:42 PM
^^I've heard good things about the SK too, but can't envision myself carrying one at all. It doesn't come off as a "business" device at all, more like a toy--IMO. And besides that, we all know how little security goes into protecting the info on a SideKick too.... :)

Hacker penetrates T-Mobile systems (http://www.securityfocus.com/news/10271)
Paris Hilton's cell phone hacked? | CNET News.com (http://news.com.com/Paris+Hiltons+cell+phone+hacked/2100-7349_3-5584691.html)

Yeah, I hear ya...and what would we ever do without Berry411:-?