PDA

View Full Version : 8707v on T-Mobile - urgent response please

hix
01-18-2007, 12:52 PM
Hi,

I have an 8707v on Vodafone (uk), but their data tariffs suck. In fact, they don't even exist! You can't ADD data to your voice/text plan, unlike t-mobile's web 'n' walk service, which includes unlimited browsing. ANYWAY!...

What I would like to know is if I use my t-mobile (uk) sim card, and add blackberry to the tariff, will i be able to then have t-mobile's blackberry service on my phone?

I understand I must get the 8707v unlocked first, of course!

But the fact is, I've already registered the PIN of my blackberry with vodafone, and I've been using my 8707v on Vodafone, so it's been fully functioning with vodafone's blackberry service. (I'm using BIS by the way)

If I ask T-Mobile to add the blackberry service to my T-Mobile account, unlock my 8707v, put my t-mobile sim in it... will it then re-register under T-Mobile's blackberry service? And effectively I'll have a t-mobile blackberry email address etc?...

Or is my device forever restricted to vodafone's blackberry service?
(I hope I've explained it clearly! lol)

An urgent reply would be very much appreciated...

John Clark
01-18-2007, 12:55 PM
You'll need to cancel your BIS account with Vodafone so that when you register for a BIS account with TMobile the PIN is available and not still assigned to the vodafone account.

hix
01-18-2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the info, and the quick response - much appreciated.

But just so that I'm 100% clear, what you mean is that I need to remove the Blackberry service from my vodafone account? i.e. call them up and ask them to take it off my tariff?

Or do I actually have to cancel my entire vodafone account/contract?

LunkHead
01-18-2007, 01:20 PM
Ask them to remove your Blackberry Pin and IMEI from your BIS account. :)

hix
01-18-2007, 01:40 PM
ok thanks for that...

also, what's the best way to unlock my 8707v?

I've found a website called unlockitnow.com that says it will return an unlock code by email within 24-48 hrs for my 8707v, for £25.

Firstly, is this reliable?

And secondly, I think I remember someone on here once saying that it was possible to actually call up Vodafone and ask them to unlock it for me. Free of charge too.

Is there any truth in this?

Thanks in advance

John Clark
01-18-2007, 01:43 PM
I would at least try to call vodafone. Tell them you are travelling internationally and would like to use prepaid sim cards. I wouldn't ask about cancelling your PIN/IMEI with the BES on that call. After they give you the unlock code (if they will) then I'd cancel my service. Otherwise GSMPhonesource.com is reputable but the unlocking services are not free, as you know.

hix
01-18-2007, 07:13 PM
Hi

Just wanted to thank you for your advice.

I called up Vodafone and got them to cancel my blackberry service, waited ten minutes, called again, and even got them to unlock my phone.

Thanks again.

LunkHead
01-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Sweet! Glad to be of some assistance! That's why ya gotta love this forum :)