PDA

View Full Version : AvantGo

jvet4
01-22-2007, 08:46 PM
I was wondering if anyone uses AvantGo and has any tips for configuring it. I have downloaded it to my 8703e and have not been able to get it to Synchronize. When I hit synchronize, i see the "connecting to sync server" and the two way arrow showing traffic but it eventually times out and I get the message "An error occurred during the synchronization process: connection timed out"

I have tried to change most of the options under all the menus but can't seem to get it to work.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jason

drewdinardo
01-22-2007, 09:27 PM
I had the same problem and gave up!

jbairdjr
01-22-2007, 10:17 PM
I think Avantgo's time passed when our PDAs got wireless internet.
I used to love Avantgo, when I had a Pocket PC. But, with Blackberry, I just read what I want on the web.
I wouldnt waste your time on Avantgo.

scaredpoet
01-22-2007, 11:16 PM
While you're welcome to your opinion, the question remains. Has anyone gotten this to work, and has a useful answer? I too have been unable to get it to sync on my 8703e.

And, AvantGo still has a use. It's great at reformatting pages to fit small screens, and works well to get news and such on small devices, in real time. Of course, it needs to work to be useful :p

albiesf
01-22-2007, 11:39 PM
I tried this as well, and it just doesn't sync no matter how much you try.

foner
01-22-2007, 11:46 PM
I'm with buddy. Time to move on!

Spankypoo
01-22-2007, 11:54 PM
Getting AvantGo to work is like trying to squeeze water out of a rock. Except at least with that, you still have a rock. With AvantGo, all you get is frustration.

jvet4
01-23-2007, 03:41 PM
I am beginning to think it is a waste of time, unfortunatly there are a few things I use for work, namely travel reservations, that will only go the the BB with AvantGo. Trying to display these with the web browser does not yeild good results.....

sfo
01-23-2007, 10:06 PM
From day one, I've found AvantGo to be buggy. I agree with most posters...its time has passed. If there ever was one.

roybeasley
01-24-2007, 06:52 AM
I have it running on my 8700g (T-Mobile). I do use it frequently, both on my BB and my Palm Tungsten C, and I really like it. I just downloaded it from the Avantgo website, and it worked. I'm not aware of any special settings needed on the BB.

jrusch
01-24-2007, 07:27 AM
I have it running on my 8700g (T-Mobile). I do use it frequently, both on my BB and my Palm Tungsten C, and I really like it. I just downloaded it from the Avantgo website, and it worked. I'm not aware of any special settings needed on the BB.

Under Options, Servers Manager, what is the URL you are using to sucessfully sync with? When I installed the Avantgo client it defaulted to sync.avantgo.com:80 but a search for help on the Avantgo web site seems to indicate it should be rimsync.avantgo.com:80.

roybeasley
01-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Sorry, I don't see a Servers Manager under Options.

whsbuss
01-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Under Options, Servers Manager, what is the URL you are using to sucessfully sync with? When I installed the Avantgo client it defaulted to sync.avantgo.com:80 but a search for help on the Avantgo web site seems to indicate it should be rimsync.avantgo.com:80.

I changed it to rimsync.avantgo.com, port 80 and I still get Error when doing a sync. Has anyone gotten this to work?

busterkat
01-24-2007, 10:59 AM
have you cleared the channel cache, cookies and authentication ?

If not try that. Sometimes it helps.

I wonder if the problems have anything to do with available memory on the device. I seem to remeber that when I used it on the pocket pc you could set the channel cache to save to SD.

Isn't this app beta?

whsbuss
01-24-2007, 11:25 AM
have you cleared the channel cache, cookies and authentication ?

If not try that. Sometimes it helps.

I wonder if the problems have anything to do with available memory on the device. I seem to remeber that when I used it on the pocket pc you could set the channel cache to save to SD.

Isn't this app beta?

It sure is a beta. I tried your suggestions and still can't sync. I tried using my PC browser to rimsync.avantgo.com and got a permissions error for trying to access "/". Interesting. Guess I'll just uninstall it.

busterkat
01-24-2007, 11:33 AM
It sure is a beta. I tried your suggestions and still can't sync. I tried using my PC browser to rimsync.avantgo.com and got a permissions error for trying to access "/". Interesting. Guess I'll just uninstall it.

That url is the sync server that you enter in the avantgo client......

VickyPaz
01-24-2007, 01:02 PM
Hey, I just downloaded from website and was having same problems. Went to their support page and this is what they say to do with that error...so far seems to be working. Good luck

Cound not open tunnel failed message

Question

Why do I receive a message "could not open tunnel failed" message on my BlackBerry RIM device?

Answer

The AvantGo client has some data connectivity requirements. You need one of these three things:

1. BES connectivity with MDS enabled on the BES; or
2. BIS-B support on your carrier; or
3. Direct TCP/IP support on your carrier.

If getting the "Could not open tunnel failed message" in AvantGo on the device, select Options from the menu and open the Synchronization page. Change the connection/transport type to BIS-B, save, and try to sync. That should work for you, unless your IT department has installed policies on your device preventing third-party apps from connecting to the Internet.

whsbuss
01-24-2007, 01:05 PM
That url is the sync server that you enter in the avantgo client......

Yes and that's where I put it (avantgo-client->Server). Still got an error.

whsbuss
01-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Hey, I just downloaded from website and was having same problems. Went to their support page and this is what they say to do with that error...so far seems to be working. Good luck

Cound not open tunnel failed message

Question

Why do I receive a message "could not open tunnel failed" message on my BlackBerry RIM device?

Answer

The AvantGo client has some data connectivity requirements. You need one of these three things:

1. BES connectivity with MDS enabled on the BES; or
2. BIS-B support on your carrier; or
3. Direct TCP/IP support on your carrier.

If getting the "Could not open tunnel failed message" in AvantGo on the device, select Options from the menu and open the Synchronization page. Change the connection/transport type to BIS-B, save, and try to sync. That should work for you, unless your IT department has installed policies on your device preventing third-party apps from connecting to the Internet.

I didn't get that specific error. In the sliding-cursor at the bottom it just had "Error!" What carrier are you using? I'm on verizon.

VickyPaz
01-24-2007, 01:59 PM
I didn't get that specific error. In the sliding-cursor at the bottom it just had "Error!" What carrier are you using? I'm on verizon.

TMobile. I do sometimes get a syncing error but if I try again it usually works.

VickyPaz
01-24-2007, 02:30 PM
TMobile. I do sometimes get a syncing error but if I try again it usually works.

Yeah, syncing isn't working again. I spoke too soon..not worth the effort.

roybeasley
01-24-2007, 04:30 PM
I've had Avantgo on my BB for a long time, and it works flawlessly. But, I don't see the Options that are being discussed - I don't see a Servers Manager under Options, and in AvantGo on the device, when I select Options from the menu, I don't see a Synchronization page. I'd love to help, but I just don't know where to look on my BB to find these settings.

jvet4
01-25-2007, 02:21 PM
I guess I made some progress..

I changed my server to rimsync.avantgo.com:80 and now I get an error right away vs having to wait for the timeout.

Guess I am just going to throw in the towel...

Spankypoo
01-25-2007, 06:29 PM
I guess I made some progress..

I changed my server to rimsync.avantgo.com:80 and now I get an error right away vs having to wait for the timeout.

Guess I am just going to throw in the towel...Yeah, there are much less infuriating ways of getting good content.

ZBB
03-19-2007, 05:46 PM
FYI... for those of you that want to give AvantGo another shot, it seems to work better after installing OS 4.2.1.102 / 4.2.1.66 [TIM Italy Release] on my 8100...

I had tried to install it the other day, but could not get a connection (on any of the 3 connection options -- all 3 gave the "administrator does not allow" error. It was odd since I have no other apps blocked.

I upgraded the OS to 4.2.1.102 / 4.2.1.66 [TIM Italy Release] today, and tried it again. Avantgo immediatly found a connection. I did get an error on the BES when updating content, so I tried the BIS-b method and it now seems to be working.

While I agree that AvantGo's time has mostly passed, I do want to try this version for the BB out -- since it downloads content and makes it avail offline, it should be good for flights. I may not have it automatically update, but manually update it before getting on a plane so I have something else to read...

EDIT:
Well... it appeared to be updating content, but it wouldn't display anything. App deleted.

stevestr
04-01-2007, 10:14 AM
FYI... for those of you that want to give AvantGo another shot, it seems to work better after installing OS 4.2.1.102 / 4.2.1.66 [TIM Italy Release] on my 8100...

I had tried to install it the other day, but could not get a connection (on any of the 3 connection options -- all 3 gave the "administrator does not allow" error. It was odd since I have no other apps blocked.

I upgraded the OS to 4.2.1.102 / 4.2.1.66 [TIM Italy Release] today, and tried it again. Avantgo immediatly found a connection. I did get an error on the BES when updating content, so I tried the BIS-b method and it now seems to be working.

While I agree that AvantGo's time has mostly passed, I do want to try this version for the BB out -- since it downloads content and makes it avail offline, it should be good for flights. I may not have it automatically update, but manually update it before getting on a plane so I have something else to read...

EDIT:
Well... it appeared to be updating content, but it wouldn't display anything. App deleted.

Yes, I would not waste my time again on this program. I use it faithfully on my Tungsten T3 with Palm OS but it does not work even with the most recent BB OS. I have the BB 8800 (EDGE) on Cingular using v4.2.1.72 OS
I tried every single setting over many changes and options and still cannot read the channels. I sent a message to BB support so we will see what they say about it.

roybeasley
05-06-2007, 05:25 PM
I got it working, by changing the server to rimsync.avantgo.com and changing to BIS-B, and now it's synchronizing.