PDA

View Full Version : Do you still use BIS 1.8 or have migrated?

likefre
01-23-2007, 06:33 AM
I was at 1.8 with cingular, changed providers and sig up with 2.0
I thought that by now, the 15 min delay on pulling emails from pop accounts would have been fixed but no..
I know there are ways around this like filtering the accounts not to pull emails from pop and have them forwarded to your Blackberry.net account and using reply as new utility for replies which would "fix" the major concern which was replying to msgs received from accounts other than bb.net
But, when tried reply as new, by default it tried to reply as an sms, although if I closed the sms screen and performed neccesary steps, i was able to use it. Now, I found this kind of inconvenient, meaning that I was not used to having to go thru a series of screens to reply to a msg.
So I "went back" and set my acct. again on 1.8 (hard but not impossible)
Are other members experiencing the same situation? Have you found a work around this that I have not been able to find?

takeshi
01-23-2007, 09:17 AM
BIS 2 should poll more often than 15 minutes on an "active" POP account and it should drop to 15 minutes on an "inactive" account. I don't use it enough to verify this as I'm on BES. I'm also not sure what BIS considers active or inactive.

likefre
01-23-2007, 11:26 AM
anyone else with BIS?

BBChristopher
01-23-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm using BIS 2.0.
Just migrated about 2 weeks ago. It has some nice features, but I think my BB service was faster before.

Other than that, I like it.

johnfromphilly
01-23-2007, 11:41 AM
I am still on BIS 1.8 with Cingular. I have thought about switching to 2.0 but I see no advantages. I currently get 4 e-mail addresses (Yahoo Domains) instantly pushed to me thru Gmail.

I have heard that Cingular does not support Yahoo in terms of e-mail synch (delete etc).

I would switch if I saw any advantages but right now everything works great for me with 1.8.

likefre
01-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Well, BIS 2.0 email pull is way too slow, only way to get almost instant (that I know of) is to have it forwarded to the blackberry.net or .com address.
But replying is not as easy..at least based on my experience

BBChristopher
01-23-2007, 11:53 AM
I agree about replying.
You have to mess with the "sent from" address which can be a pain.

Definately not immediate delivery like it used to be.

likefre
01-23-2007, 11:54 AM
well if anyone wants to "go back" to 1.8, it is still possible...search for th instruction here in bbforums..they are still accurate

DallasFlier
01-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Well, BIS 2.0 email pull is way too slow, only way to get almost instant (that I know of) is to have it forwarded to the blackberry.net or .com address.
But replying is not as easy..at least based on my experience
Forwarding works well, and replying is easy - IF you only set up one account to be forwarded. I have my business email forwarded automatically from the server. It arrives instantly, usually before it arrives on the PC, if they're both sitting side by side. In BIS, I've set up the primary blackberry.net email account as follows:

E-mail Account: name@<hidden>
Your Name: My Name
E-mail: me@<hidden>
Reply To: name@<hidden>
Auto BCC: name@<hidden>

Doing it this way, by default when I select "reply" from a message that arrived on this account, it sends from this account, and the "From:" address as well as the "Reply To:" shows as name@<hidden> in the mail that is received by the recipient. Unless they look at the underlying headers, there's no way for a correspondent to know whether I sent it from my PC with Outlook or with my BlackBerry. No one ever sees the blackberry.net address, and I never use that address directly or give it out.

In addition to the business email set up that way, I have 4 different personal addresses, and they're set up as standard POP accounts in BIS. So they're subject to the polling delay, although I think its usually quicker than 15 minutes. And to be honest, although I love my BlackBerry and the ability to get my business email instantly, I'm comfortable that life will go on if there's a delay of a few minutes for personal emails to arrive on the BlackBerry. :smile:

likefre
01-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Forwarding works well, and replying is easy - IF you only set up one account to be forwarded. I have my business email forwarded automatically from the server. It arrives instantly, usually before it arrives on the PC, if they're both sitting side by side. In BIS, I've set up the primary blackberry.net email account as follows:

E-mail Account: name@<hidden>
Your Name: My Name
E-mail: me@<hidden>
Reply To: name@<hidden>
Auto BCC: name@<hidden>

Doing it this way, by default when I select "reply" from a message that arrived on this account, it sends from this account, and the "From:" address as well as the "Reply To:" shows as name@<hidden> in the mail that is received by the recipient. Unless they look at the underlying headers, there's no way for a correspondent to know whether I sent it from my PC with Outlook or with my BlackBerry. No one ever sees the blackberry.net address, and I never use that address directly or give it out.

In addition to the business email set up that way, I have 4 different personal addresses, and they're set up as standard POP accounts in BIS. So they're subject to the polling delay, although I think its usually quicker than 15 minutes. And to be honest, although I love my BlackBerry and the ability to get my business email instantly, I'm comfortable that life will go on if there's a delay of a few minutes for personal emails to arrive on the BlackBerry. :smile:
humm...interesting..

John Clark
01-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Try a GMail account with BIS. It is very close to instant.

DallasFlier
01-23-2007, 01:35 PM
humm...interesting..
Yes, this is what I REALLY like about BIS 2.x - with 1.8 emails I sent were always obviously from my BlackBerry, but with 2.x whatever you put in the "Email Account:" field, is what BIS uses as the "From:" address in the mail it sends. For me, that's much nicer for business email.

Stinsonddog
01-23-2007, 02:04 PM
Still on 1.8 cause I like the folders.

likefre
01-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Hey Stinsondog...
Folders are nice aren't they?

Berry One
01-24-2007, 06:57 PM
How long, do you think, RIM will keep BIS 1.8 alive?

likefre
01-24-2007, 09:03 PM
How long, do you think, RIM will keep BIS 1.8 alive?
No idea, but I hope is for a long time..
2.0 = slow (just my opinion) and if you want instant email, be prepare to add a few steps when replying to emails