PDA

View Full Version : SMS Spam?

jgb@etree
01-23-2007, 11:06 AM
I just got a SPAM txt message from "leann@<hidden>" Any ideas how this was delivered (or how to find out...) or how to block? I'm wondering if they're spamming ###-###-####@<hidden> or if they're spamming via an email > SMS gateway. Either way, I hope I don't have to end up changing my number to avoid this crap!

jbairdjr
01-23-2007, 11:16 AM
Here in Lincoln, Nebraska, we have received SPAM via text messages.
It seems to go in spurts, where it seems all of us get one or two, then nothing for a month or so.

whsbuss
01-23-2007, 11:23 AM
I used to get a few SMS spam messages a day. I had Verizon block SMS on my account. People know they can reach me via email.

jgb@etree
01-23-2007, 11:47 AM
I used to get a few SMS spam messages a day. I had Verizon block SMS on my account. People know they can reach me via email.

Ah! Great idea. I'll call them now to block SMS on my account as well. The only person who ever SMS's me is my wife, but I'll just show her how to send PIN messages (BBMessenger) instead.

Does blocking SMS prevent your Voicemail indicator from working? Since having the 8703e, I've noticed that I get a SMS every time I get a VM

John Clark
01-23-2007, 01:10 PM
I don't know what carrier you're with but with TMobile there is a place on their website to filter email style SMS messages....

whsbuss
01-23-2007, 02:15 PM
Ah! Great idea. I'll call them now to block SMS on my account as well. The only person who ever SMS's me is my wife, but I'll just show her how to send PIN messages (BBMessenger) instead.

Does blocking SMS prevent your Voicemail indicator from working? Since having the 8703e, I've noticed that I get a SMS every time I get a VM

No. The voicemail notification via SMS still works and its free.

jgb@etree
01-23-2007, 05:33 PM
No. The voicemail notification via SMS still works and its free.

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

gate49
04-26-2007, 07:49 PM
I just received SPAM on SMS (Cingular), from 14132182726...

This was my second one, the first one being a red msg with "test" as the body.