PDA

View Full Version : Startup problems, common? (Nextel 7520)

pdauzer
04-09-2005, 05:56 PM
I just started Nextel BB service with a 7520, conversion from a i530 iDen phone.

First off, when I called to start data service, was on my mobile.
He said would take about 10 minutes then would call me back.
But phone service was killed for several hours until I could get to a land line to call the guy back and play phone tag for a while.
Then he had to walk me through a reset procedure to actually start service.

The data service I signed up for is not working.
Didn't have a chance to try e-mail till later in the day, was busy working during the day and trying to figure out how to work the thing as a phone and PTT which is my main function, and restore lost contacts.
I have signed up for BWC successfully and can receive e-mail there, but nothing ever gets forwarded to 7520.

The guy also said my NOL browser icon would download itself and appear later, but still hasn't.
I show NXTL in the display and 4 bars.

I guess the moral of the story is never start up BB data service on a Friday.
Have to wait till Monday when the data support phone line opens up again to see what is wrong with my account.

I guess BB or "crackberry" as the guy called it is supposed to be great.
I have no idea, just frustrated with a quirky big fat phone.

You do have to figure in service provider and startup problems into the mix when deciding on a mobile comminications solution.
This is my experience so far.

pdauzer

coolnes28
04-09-2005, 09:10 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7520/4.0.0 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3 UP.Link/5.1.2.12)

Total provision of services is usually 24-48 hours. When I got my 7520 a month ago, my service would randomly go off and on for a day or so. Be patient it takes awhile. Once an hour do a master radio reset and that refreshes the device on the network.

Ryan

pdauzer
04-13-2005, 01:25 AM
Update: called national tech support yesterday and the guy was very helpful. Said that my local Nextel rep left some conflicting features in the account from the existing service. As soon as he took those out, I got the NOL icon and all my backed up messages waiting on BWC delivered to BB within a few minutes.
pdauzer

bewildered
04-13-2005, 06:17 AM
How do you mute the keypad when using the phone on 7520 (Nextel)?
If I posted in the wrong place, so sorry.

bobkaron
04-13-2005, 10:10 AM
You forget your dealing with nextel. :) Only ones worse is t-mobile and the service on the sidekick II (although the device is excellent). As a recommondation, if all you want is email features and a phone, the 7520 is fine, but if tmobile improves their service with Danger, they have better options

pdauzer
04-14-2005, 10:47 AM
Yeah, I wasn't too surprised, Nextel is the least advanced with their iDen network and has had less experience with the data services.
But I actually have T-Mobile Internet service too, and have had data service long ago from them long ago when they were Voicestream. My old setup is T-Mobile Internet unlimited VPN, on a bluetooth phone that I dial into with my Pocket PC. Much more cumbersome than the slick BB, but I can do a lot more on the Pocket PC so I'll still keep that. The BB is my work device. But was wondering if I change my T-Mobile Internet service to BB service, is that a superset of Internet service or will it make it incompatible with it if I try the SIM back in the old phone?
pdauzer

roger92932
04-14-2005, 07:30 PM
in answer to the keyboard question go to option-screen/keyboard and turn the key tone function off/ to the sim question if your asking if you can swap a bb sim to another phone other than bb no you will have all kinds of problems if you do and unless you switch them back you will have to to call tier 2 tec support and give them plenty of time to swap it. bb uses a differnt data soc than all other nextels

bewildered
04-14-2005, 09:32 PM
in answer to the keyboard question go to option-screen/keyboard and turn the key tone function off/ to the sim question if your asking if you can swap a bb sim to another phone other than bb no you will have all kinds of problems if you do and unless you switch them back you will have to to call tier 2 tec support and give them plenty of time to swap it. bb uses a differnt data soc than all other nextels
Hi there, I asked the keyboard question. The key tone function is "off" but the keyboard still makes its unfortunate sounds.