PDA

View Full Version : Newbie: Why unlock blackberry?

chanesworth
01-24-2007, 02:12 PM
Sorry for such a newbie question but I am not sure what "unlocking" a blackberry means. I assume that it will let you take your tmobile blackberry and then go get a cingular calling plan. I don't know if I am getting this right. But what would be some of the other benefits of unlocking your blackberry? Lastly, do the cell companies do this for you, or is it something that is taboo?

Thanks

John Clark
01-24-2007, 02:14 PM
Yes, it allows you to take, for example, a TMobile branded BB and use a cingular sim card and voice/data plan. Or you can travel abroad and use local prepaid sim cards (voice only.) Without unlocking only a TMobile sim sim/plan will work.

Whether or not the carrier will do it depends on the carrier. TMo will do it if your account has been active and in good standing for 90 days. And then you can only do one phone per number every 90 days. Other carriers vary in policy.

dgray8
01-24-2007, 02:17 PM
most companies will at least submit a request for an unlock code....then you usually get notified if it was granted or denied.

dgray8
01-24-2007, 02:18 PM
some circumstances are easier to get granted an unlock code for than others....for example: you're moving to an area where your current provider has little or no coverage.

takeshi
01-25-2007, 09:50 AM
But what would be some of the other benefits of unlocking your blackberry?
The only benefit is being able to use another carrier's SIM. Though I guess resale value is generally better on unlocked deivces.